Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all - rescued this pup a few months back and hoping to get some thoughts on breed(s). If the shelter's estimation is correct, she's 10ish months old at this point. Was ~25lbs when I got her and is a ~40lbs now. She has endless energy (actually endless) and has serious food/toy drive which has made training pretty smooth (she had no training at all when I got her). We're starting to move past basic obedience as its a pretty fun activity and she seems to like it a lot/pick things up easily.

Some traits that may be helpful or breed related?
Was pretty mouthy at first but much better now
One brownish eye and one white/blue one
Wide "ridge" along her back, hair is raised higher than on the sides and has a different feel to it
Maybe the longest tongue I've seen

Hoping someone has an idea, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
That ridge of hair on her back is typical of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I think she looks like a ridgeback and German shepherd mix. Ridgebacks are highly energetic and so are German shepherds (unless they are bred to be crippled in their hind legs). Both breeds very smart and trainable as well. Looks to me as if you have a winner there. She is a very handsome looking dog with intelligent looking eyes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
That ridge of hair on her back is typical of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I think she looks like a ridgeback and German shepherd mix. Ridgebacks are highly energetic and so are German shepherds (unless they are bred to be crippled in their hind legs). Both breeds very smart and trainable as well. Looks to me as if you have a winner there. She is a very handsome looking dog with intelligent looking eyes.
Thanks for your thoughts! I also have thought RR and GSD, definitely spot on with the qualities. The only thing is her size. Albeit just 10 months and time to grow, she’s a shorty right now standing at knee-ish height (back).

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have seen rather petite German shepherds, although the ridgebacks seem to be usually large. Of course, it's altogether possible she's got two or three other breeds in her as well, that would account for her size. Personally, she sounds like a great size to me. :) She also might just be a petite individual; sometimes that happens and all the others in the litter are larger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen rather petite German shepherds, although the ridgebacks seem to be usually large. Of course, it's altogether possible she's got two or three other breeds in her as well, that would account for her size. Personally, she sounds like a great size to me. :) She also might just be a petite individual; sometimes that happens and all the others in the litter are larger.
I totally agree and she definitely packs a punch! For what it's worth, I'll probably do the DNA test at some point out of curiosity more than anything. In the meantime it's pretty fun to try and narrow it down. Again, appreciate your thoughts!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts