Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's 4 months old (though probably 5 at this point) so there's some room to grow. I'm not sure how big she'll get, a lot of calculations say anywhere from around 45ish to high 60s for her adult weight. At the adoption event she was listed as "shepherd mix" but that could mean a lot of things, as shepherd itself is a broad term. Considering doing the DNA test but first I want to hear what other people think. Personally I think I see some greyhound in there, and I'm getting slight Malinois vibes.

Some information on her temperament as well: she's a bit protective of me when she's in my room and growls whenever people come in through my door, but she's by no means a barker. In fact she can go an entire day without barking. She's very withdrawn from people she's not used to, almost timid but not exactly. VERY affectionate with me. Always laying her head on me to sleep.

Extremely curious as to what breeds she is, and I'd love to accommodate her breed to the best of my ability.

Snapchat-556204266.jpg
20210501_191811.jpg
20210501_192649.jpg

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hmmmm. She has a wrinkly forehead, and a long-ish narrow snout. both those things say sight hound to me, so it could be greyhound or basenji or...?
She may also have some German shepherd in her, with her coloring, but I have seen a lot of dogs with color and pattern on their bodies that look like that and it seems to turn up in a lot of different mixes. She has long ears like a hound, so there may be some type of long-legged hound in there like coonhound.

In her case, it might be easier to figure it out from her behavior. Does she love to run, and does she have a greyhound-type of run? On a walk does she put her nose to the ground a lot, ( scent hound) or does she keep her head up like a sight hound? Also, what breeds are the most common where you live? that can sometimes give you some insight, because if a certain breed is never seen in your area it's unlikely that your dog has that in her unless a very small amount.

Don't know if this helps. A DNA panel would be fun, but remember that some of them are not at all accurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts