Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Potter had a really hard time with recall. The environment is the number one reinforcing thing for him. Today, however, when I was outside training with him, he came reliably every time I called.

Here's the video of him doing his recall:

I was so proud of him, you guys. He's never done this well with his recall and I think it was a really huge step. All of our training outside today went exceptionally well. I have high hopes for our training this year. :)

But that's it. I just wanted to share his awesome progress.

And here's a cute picture for your time:

IMAG1758.jpg

·
Banned
811 Posts
Awesome!

Reactions: GrayDogTraining

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Aw, that's awesome! His face is so darn cute. I'm a sucker for fluffballs with floppy ears. XD

It looks like he's made serious progress on promptness, too! I think you've posted a video before where he came, but at a lope/trot pace instead of a run. Looks like you're doing great. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done to Potter and to you, too!
I just want to add he is absolutely gorgeous and adorable- is he mix? If so, do you know what? He has such a sweet face.
Thank you!
He is a mix. :) We just know he's a collie and retriever mix, but I'm 80% sure he's a smooth collie and golden retriever mix.
And he does. He's super adorable. :)

Aw, that's awesome! His face is so darn cute. I'm a sucker for fluffballs with floppy ears. XD

It looks like he's made serious progress on promptness, too! I think you've posted a video before where he came, but at a lope/trot pace instead of a run. Looks like you're doing great. ;)
I love his floppy ears. They're too cute for me to handle.
I think that video was of his retrieve. It was super slow and he didn't really want to do it but he did anyway. But his promptness has definitely improved! With both his retrieve and his recall. :)
And thank you so much! We've been working hard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is his new retrieve:

And for those of you who didn't see his old retrieve:

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
whats your secret?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats your secret?
Hahaha. Short answer: patience, consistency, and hot dogs.

Longer answer: We had to start in the most boring place possible and reinforce it there like crazy - the bedroom. Then we moved to the hallway. Then downstairs. Then the backyard. He isn't "perfect" yet with his recall, but he's definitely getting a lot better.

I set him up for success. I make sure he's not into something super interesting when I do his recall at the moment. Just casual sniffing. So I know for a fact that his treat will be more reinforcing than the environment at the time. When he is reliably coming when called 95% of the time, I'll start calling him back with bigger distractions.

Basically, I've just worked at a really slow pace to make sure he succeeds.

Reactions: crazy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts