Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a puppy just before thanksgiving 2019 her name is Luna and she is 7 months old as of last week. She is pyrenees/border collie mix and we have had serious peeing issues with her. She is completely potty trained no purposeful accidents in the house she was crate trained when we got her (plan on letting her free roam when older) she holds it all night and asks to go out and all that. This is not my first border collie or dog in general i have grew up with many different kinds of dogs and this is a first for me. I think it might be submissive peeing but im not sure. She has been checked at the vet and no health problems so that is not the issue. Example of what im going through : i was just laying in bed a few minutes ago quietly nothing exciting happening just winding down before sleep and she jumps on the bed lays there for a few seconds and stands up sniffs the bed and bolts out of my bedroom. I was very confused and looked where she was sniffing and there was a decent sized wet spot. She was laying down when it happened nobody was touching her or talking to her. This happens at least 4 times if not more a week. All of a sudden she acts nervous and piddles. We did rescue her from someone who was going to take her to the shelter and we do not know anything about her first 4 to 5 months of life except she was in a crate most of that time. I dont know if this is something that happens alot with puppies or rescues..this is my first rescue. but i have never experienced it before and i need some advice. I am the type to let my animals on my furniture as they are my children and i feel bad if i have to make her stay down but i cant have her peeing on all of my stuff its not easy to get pee out of a mattress. Especially when it happens so frequently. She is very shy and i dont punish her for it because it dosent seem to be on purpose...idk what else to say about it other than i am very frustrated. Please help lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She also pees when she is overly excited like playing or when my husband gets home from work or when we do training sessions she doesn't squat it just dribbles out. She is very affectionate and loves tight hugs (she has never peed when being hugged) and kisses and all the love. She is shy when it comes to cuddling but is 70% better about it now she just gets nervous and flops around and shows her belly. She is very very smart. Like really smart. Also she dosent bark except when the amazon guy is across the street at the neighbors. She wont bark at strangers at my house. She loves people. Except the amazon truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We dont have many issues with behavior that training didnt fix. I realize we haven't had her very long and that she is doing amazing since she has never experienced being free before us. Some other issues i still face with her is her focusing....well she focuses on toys and balls and her favorite frisbee as do most border collies. But her focus is so hard on those things while playing that she dosent pay attention to her surroundings at all she will have her ball in her mouth running around the yard playing and just run into the fence...or a tree or whatever is in her path when whatever toy she has at the moment is in her mouth. If she isnt playing her focus is on her surroundings. Hopefully she will get better with that because she is a big puppy. She just turned 7 months and is 50 pounds she has gained about 15 or more pounds in 2 months and keeps getting bigger....shes going to end up hurting herself. Were working on the jumping up on us i am home with her all day when my husband is at work and i have it pretty much under control unless she is super super excited and she stays back whrn guests walk in the door and waits for them to pet her but she does not respect my husband at all. All she sees him as is a toy. He does everything i do with training and the only difference is he is at work until 3pm weekdays. I dont know why she wont listen to him. If he tells her to do any command she gets mouthy and jumps all over him. Turning away when she does it dosent help as she is a big excited puppy and will try to climb up him to get to his face to lick him.....as i think of things about her personality I am gping to add to this thread. I just need a outlet to get all this out there and maybe get some advice. I grew up with golden retrievers and german shepards and rottweilers and pit bull's and pomeranians and our family dogs were border collies and shelties. Ive never had the issues with any dog or puppy as I have with luna. I feel like im failing because nothing on any of the sites have worked for her.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
For the toileting, I'm honestly not sure. Since it takes her by surprise, I really thought UTI but your vet check should have ruled that out. So, I'd suggest taking her out more often so her bladder is kept empty. And you are right not to scold her, even if it wasn't involuntary it can make dogs think we are cross at them for toileting as opposed to toileting in the house, so they just seek or create opportunities to toilet in your absence.

And when your husband comes home, can someone take her outside so she wees outside? This will likely get better as she matures.

For mouthing your husband, rather than turn his back I'd suggest he turns and walks right out of the room, immediately. That gives a strong message that teeth on skin = end of fun.

The collie focus is well known but try not to let her become obsessed with any one toy. If you can change that focus to you, as the provider of great toys, she will be an awesome dog.

Have you considered competitive obedience, agility (she is too young for some exercises but she could do parts) or similar? I bet she'd be awesome and it would provide a great outlet for her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have tried having her outside when he gets home but she gets even more excited out there. I think ive figured out within the last few days a way to fix it. We have a 4 foot archway from the kitchen to the living room and i have a huge broken down box I lay it across the doorway and she sits there kind of patiently (he comes in the back door from garage)and waits for him to get his cold weather gear off and after about 10 minutes or so of staring at him and hearing his voice she goes and lays down and calms and thats when he can start talking to her. She came from a man who crated her and didnt give her any attention and i think she just craves male attention because of it. She only acts bad when around males usually. She is also very very stubborn and i think that is the pyrenees in her from the research ive done. She is very lazy unless she has a toy and absolutely hates training sessions or anything like that. She will just lay down and ignore everyone. Sometimes she is food motivated and sometimes she is not. It all depends on her mood I guess. I dont think she would do anything in a class right now she cant handle being around alot of people or animals she is scared of most dogs. And i think it would just be a waste of money until she gets a little older. And i would like to feel more in control with her. Were working on her listening to us whem outside she is distracted very easily. When we got her she only knew 2 words... Sit and bed. She has come a long way in 3 months but i think she has some major trust issues we need to overcome with her because of her past. She is very skittish like really bad.. she was scared to bark. I think she got punished for it before we got her because she acted like we were gana kill her if she barked at someone outside yelping and shaking...which i want her to let me know if there is a stranger at my door. I praise her if she does it and its slowly getting better she dosent really act as scared now its more of she does it and looks to me for a reaction. She is such a sweet girl she is finally starting to cuddle the last couple months I could tell she wanted to cuddle you could see it in her eyes when she had her head resting on our legs wagging her tail but as soon as she jumped up to cuddle amd we started petting her she got all floppy and couldnt handle the physical part of cuddling. But as of last week she has been letting us both touch her while she is laying next to us. 😍

Sorry this was so all over the place lol i just woke up and have all the things on my mind

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a newish kind of concerning issue. It snowed again last night and we got abiut 5 inches. We have to have her on leash to be outside because last time it snowed she wouldnt listen at all off leash because the snow was too exciting and she would open her mouth and scoop snow like a vacuum and not listen to any leave it commands like usual and run at like 60 mph eating all the snow but the problem is she comes inside and pukes all over the damn house because she filled her belly with cold snow. I have tried everything ive seen from googling this issue but nothing has worked...the new problem is she wont go potty on leash when there is snow on the ground. I dont know how to decide between her pooping and peeing all over my house because she dont want to go outside on leash or let her not listen to me and take control and eat snow until she makes herself puke. This is the most stubborn dog i have ever met. So frustrating. Would a mesh full muzzle help the eating snow issue? I dont want her to be scared of it. She is so rebellious and im at a loss. Im scared for when she gets spayed next week she will have to be on leash for recovery because she is a moose and does not know how to be gentle with anything at anytime and i don't want her to hurt herself by being a jerk. I love her very much but something has got to give. Im doing my best.but sometimes i just want to lock myself in a room and cry because I am failing at this and i dont know what im doing wrong.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
A muzzle might help but mesh ones are only recommended for vet exams or groomer visits as they don't allow the dog to pant. If you do go that route, you need to train it - this video will help.

But since she is going to be on leash next week anyway, can you maybe train her to play with a bit of snow to let her have her fun, but then stop when you think she has had enough?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts