Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Been stressing so much about this I thought I would just see if someone could put my mind at ease. Currently working from home, and here's my daily routine with our new lab/golden retriever X.

She sleeps in her crate from 11pm-7.45am, doesn't make a sound and hasn't had an accident since we got her.

I'll then feed her, let her out to go to the toilet, and then be in the kitchen with her from 8-10, and then I'll have to get showered, dressed, do some work etc until lunch, so she's in her crate from 10-12. I'll then take her on her first 15 minute walk, come back and give her lunch and then after she's eaten she'll be in the crate from 1 until 2 while I do some more work. Then I'll be in the kitchen and garden with her until 4ish, then another hour in the crate. In the evenings I'll sometimes bring her into the lounge on the sofa, if not she's in the crate, and give her her second walk.

Overall, in her awake hours, 7.45 until 10.30 at night, I'd say she's in the crate between 4 and 5 hours. Is this too much? I would work in the kitchen but the wifi doesn't work so can't. Does anyone have any advice? She never seems to amuse herself in the crate, but she doesn't whine or anything either.

Thank you!

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I guess I always felt the luxury of working from home and having your dog by your side as much as reasonably possible was a huge benefit in so many ways.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Hi there!

Been stressing so much about this I thought I would just see if someone could put my mind at ease. Currently working from home, and here's my daily routine with our new lab/golden retriever X.

She sleeps in her crate from 11pm-7.45am, doesn't make a sound and hasn't had an accident since we got her.

I'll then feed her, let her out to go to the toilet, and then be in the kitchen with her from 8-10, and then I'll have to get showered, dressed, do some work etc until lunch, so she's in her crate from 10-12. I'll then take her on her first 15 minute walk, come back and give her lunch and then after she's eaten she'll be in the crate from 1 until 2 while I do some more work. Then I'll be in the kitchen and garden with her until 4ish, then another hour in the crate. In the evenings I'll sometimes bring her into the lounge on the sofa, if not she's in the crate, and give her her second walk.

Overall, in her awake hours, 7.45 until 10.30 at night, I'd say she's in the crate between 4 and 5 hours. Is this too much? I would work in the kitchen but the wifi doesn't work so can't. Does anyone have any advice? She never seems to amuse herself in the crate, but she doesn't whine or anything either.

Thank you!
How old is this puppy?

I wouldn't say it's too much, but I do suggest trying to actively work on getting her to the point where she doesn't have to be crated so much. I'm not a fan of crating a lot because I feel like it hinders their ability to learn how to behave unattended. There's no real reason she shouldn't eventually be able to be out of the crate while you're working and doing other things. Mat training or place training can be a huge help for you here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies; she's only 14 weeks. I'd happily let her run around unattended but she does eat absolutely anything which has already caused her some problems, so makes it even more tricky as I have to keep both eyes on her all the time! Once she's housetrained I'd more than happily let her run around the kitchen and lounge where I work on her own, but at the moment she does still have the occasional accident on the floor. What age did people find they could leave them unattended?
Here she is!

·
Registered
324 Posts
You could try tether training where she is on a leash attached to you. She will hopefully settle down at your feet if you give her a chew toy to keep her busy. It will take some getting used to for her but she'll get the idea. I have a 4 month-old puppy who gets into stuff as well and starting tomorrow I am home for the next 6 weeks, so hoping to use this time to have him roam freely and teach him what's OK and not OK. We'll see how that goes!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Honestly I never crated any of my pups. I just puppy proofed and spent a lot of time redirecting and reinforcing them for chewing on appropriate things, and also playing. I also taught them to retrieve. I made it more reinforcing for them to bring me items they pick up to chew instead of actually chewing on them. Every time they brought me something, it was traded for something they could chew on, and they got treats and extra attention.

It took time the first couple weeks, but they got better quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Labrador breed is a kind of breed that rests a lot of time and as long as she does not whine I am guessing it is totally fine!

I had a problem because my dog was wining all the time that she was in the crade, but it is ower now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts