Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took our dog Pipi to the Vet on Sunday, I left her there to take some bloods to try and figure out what was going on, 2 hours later got a call and her kidney function was off the scale in a bad way and the options were short term dialysis which may or may not work or put her to sleep.

She was diabetic and had been for 4 years with 2 injections a day, but we had managed that and she had a full and fun life, walks every day, rides in the car with her head out the window, weekend walks to the river where she should would wade but never really swim. She was almost 11 - above all she was my best mate and we went everywhere together (I am crying as I type this).

We did not realise she was losing weight (700 grams in 3 weeks- her goal weight was 8kg which is what she was 3 weeks ago when we picked up her latest cansulin prescription), Her cataracts were getting worse and she stopped eating 24/36 hours before we took her to the vet. We also noticed on the Saturday night she had also developed a tremor in her back legs. We thought her pancreatitis was back again and took to the vet on the Sunday.

The Vet showed us the blood markers and explained that they were really, really bad. All her kidney function tests were really bad. She asked if we wanted to take her home for the night, but we had a discussion (my wife and I) and did not want her to suffer any more and we had almost 11 years together and another day would only be for our benefit. I think we both knew it was her time and we needed to be brave and kind enough to accept that.

Pipi was brought in, she wagged her tail and licked my face as she always has, but then quietened down and lay down and the tremors started. We spent some time alone with her and hugged and cuddled her. The vet said she has always been a very positive dog and sometime these dogs can hide there symptoms and not too blame ourselves for not noticing earlier. In hindsight there were flags but due to her being diabetic we lived a bit of a roller coaster ride and she would be a little up and down and put those things down to her diabetes. It was very peaceful and she just went to sleep, a day I had been dreading had come around with not a lot of time to prepare or get ready. We stayed with her as she went to sleep and had some private time after she had gone.

To say I am devastated is a massive understatement. I feel guilty that the extra treats she has had over the years may have contributed. There were some signals that in hindsight I should have acted on but did not. Neither of which I can change and of course everything is easy with hindsight, but as I sit here at home - I look for her, I listen for her, I talk to her, but there is silence and it breaks my heart - all I can do is remember her.

I will never forget her, her ashes are coming home tomorrow. It will be nice to have her home again.

Thanks for reading - it feels better expressing this to people who truly understand this grief - man this is hard. I will always remember the good times- I suppose that is all we can do.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Hello. I'm sorry you join us under these circumstances.

It is a very normal part of grief to wonder about all the ”what ifs”. Please don't beat yourself up. You did absolutely the right thing by listening to your vet, and letting her go rather than making her hang on longer for you, it would have just been worse for her. She was clearly very lucky to have been so loved, and she died peacefully with the people who cared so deeply about her.

It is the hardest thing a loving dog owner has to do. But it is the right thing.

In time, the pain will ease - it doesn't feel like it now, but it will. If you feel able, sharing some pictures or stories about her here may help - when you are ready.

Many countries have pet bereavement counselling services. If you think that might help, I'm sure your vet could point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Firstly let me say how sorry I am for your loss.

Its never easy, you can know its coming and you try to prepare but that day that moment is one no one can really be ready for.
Each of us knows the dog shaped hole that is gaping in your heart right now. Weve been there some of us more than once. So we know.
You havent ' lost a dog' you have lost a soulmate, a best friend, a buddy, a playmate, a travelling compainion, youve lost the one who protected you from those night time creaks and groans in the house and the mailman.

But you honour her with your tears, her passing was peaceful and yours was the last voice she heard and the last touch she felt she went on her journey surrounded with love. Be proud of yourself for that.

Now take the time to grieve as you would for any friend. The waves of grief will become less jagged and harsh you will be able to laugh about the fun time and speak her name without pain but it will take time.
Go esy on yourself and know we understand.

Run Free Pipi

·
Administrator
1,146 Posts
I took our dog Pipi to the Vet on Sunday, I left her there to take some bloods to try and figure out what was going on, 2 hours later got a call and her kidney function was off the scale in a bad way and the options were short term dialysis which may or may not work or put her to sleep.

She was diabetic and had been for 4 years with 2 injections a day, but we had managed that and she had a full and fun life, walks every day, rides in the car with her head out the window, weekend walks to the river where she should would wade but never really swim. She was almost 11 - above all she was my best mate and we went everywhere together (I am crying as I type this).

We did not realise she was losing weight (700 grams in 3 weeks- her goal weight was 8kg which is what she was 3 weeks ago when we picked up her latest cansulin prescription), Her cataracts were getting worse and she stopped eating 24/36 hours before we took her to the vet. We also noticed on the Saturday night she had also developed a tremor in her back legs. We thought her pancreatitis was back again and took to the vet on the Sunday.

The Vet showed us the blood markers and explained that they were really, really bad. All her kidney function tests were really bad. She asked if we wanted to take her home for the night, but we had a discussion (my wife and I) and did not want her to suffer any more and we had almost 11 years together and another day would only be for our benefit. I think we both knew it was her time and we needed to be brave and kind enough to accept that.

Pipi was brought in, she wagged her tail and licked my face as she always has, but then quietened down and lay down and the tremors started. We spent some time alone with her and hugged and cuddled her. The vet said she has always been a very positive dog and sometime these dogs can hide there symptoms and not too blame ourselves for not noticing earlier. In hindsight there were flags but due to her being diabetic we lived a bit of a roller coaster ride and she would be a little up and down and put those things down to her diabetes. It was very peaceful and she just went to sleep, a day I had been dreading had come around with not a lot of time to prepare or get ready. We stayed with her as she went to sleep and had some private time after she had gone.

To say I am devastated is a massive understatement. I feel guilty that the extra treats she has had over the years may have contributed. There were some signals that in hindsight I should have acted on but did not. Neither of which I can change and of course everything is easy with hindsight, but as I sit here at home - I look for her, I listen for her, I talk to her, but there is silence and it breaks my heart - all I can do is remember her.

I will never forget her, her ashes are coming home tomorrow. It will be nice to have her home again.

Thanks for reading - it feels better expressing this to people who truly understand this grief - man this is hard. I will always remember the good times- I suppose that is all we can do.
So sorry for your loss. She sounds adorable. :(

Grief comes in waves. At first, they're relentless, but over time they do subside, leaving only happy memories. Let yourself ride those waves, don't bottle them up and pretend you're fine when you're not. It's OK to feel like you do.

Letting her go is the very last act of kindness you can do for her, even though it's so hard on us. She's not in any pain now, she's at rest.

Love never dies. It's the only thing that can conquer death. She lives on in your heart and in your memories, and nothing can take them away.

Be kind to yourself.

Run free at The Bridge, Pipi. Deepest sympathy for you mum and dad left behind.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
79 Posts
Grief can feel lonely, but you're not alone. I'm sorry this happened, but I'm glad you got 11 wonderful years together. May you be reunited at the rainbow bridge.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am so sorry to read this, we certainly understand and hope our thoughts help you even if it's just a little.

My girl passed the same way in 2020, although I still grieve her and miss her, I realize now that I gave her my all, did everything I could, as you have, she knows that. Time has made it more bearable. I hope you are able to grieve at your own pace.

Pls feel free to share any pictures or stories of Pipi if it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It means a lot. It will take some time and I know it will get better at some point. Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Pipi. As I was reading your post, it was almost exactly what happened to our 10 year old lab, Toby, in January. This forum really helped me a lot, knowing that I wasn't alone in the way I was feeling. I miss him so much every single day, but the pain has eased some. I hope you can find peace and comfort in your good memories of Pipi. I can tell how much she was loved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts