Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have gotten 3 puppies. An 8 week old pitbull, a 7 week old pitbull, and a 7 week old husky. I am having the hardest time training them. I feel like I'm losing my mind! I've never really trained animals before, and I'm all alone with them due to my boyfriend working 3 weeks at a time offshore and I go to school till 12 everyday. I just need help with figuring out the best and easiest ways of house training and how to get them to listen to commands.and I really can't afford kennels right now, they are in a room and i give them puppy pads to use when they are in there alone but they just use it all over the place, the two pitbulls will use it outside but still have accidents and the husky refuses to use it outside, only wants to use it in the house and they constantly run away from me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I recently have gotten 3 puppies. An 8 week old pitbull, a 7 week old pitbull, and a 7 week old husky. I am having the hardest time training them. I feel like I'm losing my mind! I've never really trained animals before, and I'm all alone with them due to my boyfriend working 3 weeks at a time offshore and I go to school till 12 everyday. I just need help with figuring out the best and easiest ways of house training and how to get them to listen to commands.and I really can't afford kennels right now, they are in a room and i give them puppy pads to use when they are in there alone but they just use it all over the place, the two pitbulls will use it outside but still have accidents and the husky refuses to use it outside, only wants to use it in the house and they constantly run away from me.
How in the world did you manage to get 3 puppies at the same time? That's crazy!

This might seem harsh. But you really have no idea what you're in for. 3 pups at the same time for a very experienced dog owner is a near impossible task. I would highly recommend rehoming 1-2 of them to loving homes if possible. If not possible get ready to spend pretty much every free second that you have training and tiring out these pups.

First off you're really going to need to get each of them a crate. If you can't afford that, how do you expect to be able to pay for vet visits, puppy shots, food, toys, etc...?

Start reading everything you can find on positive reinforcement training. Set up a schedule for potty breaks, feeding, play and training time. Each pup should have 1 on 1 time with you as well as supervised play time with each other. And training sessions should be done 1 on 1 with the other pups in their crates.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Oh my gosh, you need to re-home at LEAST one of them, and truthfully, if you've never trained animals before, you should re-home two. Three puppies is insane. Actually, one puppy is insane. They require so much work. Three puppies is actually more than three times the work because they will be so distracting for each other, not to mention I have no idea how you will build a relationship with any of them.

You will need: Scheduled potty breaks (for puppies, that's close to every 20-30 minutes just because, anytime they drink, eat, play, wake up from a nap, start sniffing...), in order for your puppies to go anywhere they will all need vaccines, rabies shots, crates are a must for three puppies, TONS of chew toys, leashes, collars, so much food...the list goes on and on.

My single Border Collie puppy has probably cost me upwards of 700 dollars in the 7 months I've had her. Plus I have an older dog. I easily spend 250 a month on food, about 100+ on training, and probably close to 50+ on toys. Not to mention the amount of TIME I spend playing, training, socializing, and just bonding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked my boyfriend for a puppy and he got three without telling me, can't rehome, and they are in a loving home already, I spend every second with them unless I am in class which is 3 hours a day and I come home in between that to see about them and I love them very much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I can afford them, just can't get 3 $100 kennels at the moment, I have to pay bills and their vet visits first.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
First of all, I would kill my husband if he ever brought home three puppies, especially if he is going to be gone for long periods of time - and I'm a dog-trainer, home all day with my guys. Why can't you re-home them? Or do you just not want to re-home them? I should also mention that two of your puppies (at 7 weeks) are too young to have been removed from their litter. Eight weeks is considered the absolute minimum to remove them, otherwise they will miss out on important behaviors learned from mom.

Crate training is the easiest way to potty train a puppy. This is because a puppy will naturally not want to soil his sleep area. That being said, an 8 week old puppy can maybe only "hold it" for a maximum of two hours, and even that is long. So puppies are in their crate unless they have just urinated AND defecated. Then you can have some playtime, but at 8 weeks, they don't have any way to recognize "Oh, I have to go!", they just do it. Anytime a puppy toilets in the house, it is reinforcing. You must be sure to a) NEVER get the puppy in trouble and b) clean up all accidents immediately with an enzyme cleaner to remove the smell. House-training is a long process, some puppies get it super quick (like my Aussie) and others just seem to take a long time (like my BC)
I would highly recommend that you go and read all of the stickies listed here.

I would also really recommend you take some time to really think about having three puppies. They will all need: separate training with just you, separate interactions with different dogs, separate walks, and time away from each other (again crates are essential). In addition, they also need to learn to spend time without you. I also highly recommend that you take your puppies to a socialization/puppy kindergarten class. You can not work two dogs, so you'll have to take three different classes for each puppy, unless your boyfriend can take one when he's home, in which case there is still an odd puppy out.
Not to mention as your puppies grow up, you have three very active, very energetic dogs. Have you spent a lot of time with Pitbulls and Huskies? They can go and go and gooo.

I understand you are very attached to them, who wouldn't be - puppies are adorable! I implore you to seriously reconsider having three puppies. For your own sanity and the well-being of the puppies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks shandula, I don't want to rehome them, and my boyfriend won't let me, I really do want them and I can do it, I just needed advice but thank you alot.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You should also look into littermate syndrome. Raising three puppies at one time is hard, very very hard. It's not something I'd take on. I like having three dogs, I have three now. But I have always had at least a few months between each dog. That way I can spend the time house training and doing basic obedience. I think you'll be spending most of your time running one puppy or another outside trying to house train them. Puppies that young should be taken out every 20-30 minutes and after eating, drinking, playing and waking up. It's exhausting with one pup, three would be too much.

You really need to think about what is right for the puppies.

·
Registered
343 Posts
And I can afford them, just can't get 3 $100 kennels at the moment, I have to pay bills and their vet visits first.
If you can't afford their basic necessities, which yes a crate for each pup is basic, then you can't afford the puppies. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you really need a reality check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's nothing wrong with having three puppies, why would I need to think of what is right? They are well taken care of, loved, and they go out all the time, I play with them and work on training them. I just came to ask for advice and easy ways to train them, not be told to rehome them. If I didn't have time for them then I wouldn't have them. If I was abusing them and not giving them what they need then I would understand people telling me to rehome them.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I would highly suggest you check out the New Additions section of this forum. There you'll find plenty of people who are completely overwhelmed with one puppy. I know it's hard to think about not having them, but I really think you should.
We found 2 week old kittens once, and had to bottle-raise them. We were so attached (and I don't even really like cats), but ultimately, new homes were the best option for everyone!

We are not trying to judge you, we are really trying to prepare you for what is more than likely going to happen. Please, please read this

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because I can't afford to go out and pay 300 right now? Didn't say I wasn't going to buy one soon. Bye

·
Registered
343 Posts
Because I can't afford to go out and pay 300 right now? Didn't say I wasn't going to buy one soon. Bye

For the pups sake, I really hope this works out for you! I don't think it will, but if you're dead set on keeping these pups I'm sure no one will be able to talk you out of it. But please do some reading, there have been some great links provided to you in this thread that you should really take a look at.

A solid and consistent schedule will be the biggest thing for you. Dogs thrive when they can predict what's going to happen next. And with 3 dogs you're really going to need a solid schedule planned down to 15 min intervals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the dog forum!! :)
For training you'll want to praise them as soon as they go potty outside, give a treat as soon as they pee/poo and make a HUGE deal about it. They'll soon learn going outside is great, when they go inside, say nothing, simply move them outside and clean up the mess. Don't say a word to them, you don't want them associating you aging attention to them with them going potty inside. Think of hiring someone to come in once while you're gone for the three hours so they can take them out and it'll give them pups a chance to relieve their bladders without learning to go inside.
When your start basic training, only train one puppy at a time. When youre doing this, put your other two into a room and give them either a kong or a toy that stimulates them mentally (you can find those online) keep the training sessions really short and really rewarding. For an eight week old puppy, maybe five minutes? when you're done with the little training session bring only that puppy outside to potty if it needs to and then put that puppy into the room with the others and bring out another puppy, do you get it?
You'll also want to make sure these puppies become attached to you, not just each other and one way you can do that is by spending time with each pup separately.
I hope this helps!! If you need more help feel free to instant message me!! I'm a dog trainer and I have two clients who got more than one puppy at a time, you can make it work you just need a lot of patience and a lot of time :)

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Hi essbeff,

I'm guessing that these are your first puppies. The concern that nearly everyone is voicing here centers on what is called "littermate syndrome." You can find many articles about littermate syndrome on-line. Here's just one of them:

Don’t Take Two Littermates | The Bark

Here's another:

https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/littermate-syndrome/

Note that young puppies don't have to actually be from the same biological litter to be considered "littermates." The key issue is their proximity in age.

You are clearly very invested in being a great pet owner. However, the challenges of raising three well-adjusted puppies at the same time are substantial, even for the most experienced owners. The second article I posted talks about even guide dog trainers found that working and training multiple puppies simultaneously was difficult and counterproductive.

I know that this is not the advice you came here to read, and I appreciate that you are asking questions and doing research. Please keep in mind that the advice you're getting to rehome one or two of these puppies has been given not to criticize you, but to set you and these puppies up for success.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My comments come from my own personal experience. I love all animals, I'll take in any animal in need. I have at times taken on almost more than I could handle. But I've always put the animals first, even if I have to suffer. I've finally realized my limits and as hard as it is for me I haven't brought in new animals, other than Freyja last year and a ball python which are super easy to keep.

House training will be very hard with three pups, and even harder without crates. Make sure to take them out often and praise and treat like crazy when they go outside. Be consistent, that is the key. Some get it quick, some take longer. I was lucky with Freyja, she got it quickly and learned 'go pee pee' so when we go out I can tell her to go and she will, if she has to. I'd suggest taking one out at a time, so you can spend the time and attention teaching each one.
I have no doubt you have the love, and never suggested you'd neglect them. You just have three young, high energy puppies. It will take a lot of dedication. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts