Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been dealing with this for a few days and have racked up a $600 on it.
On Friday night my dog, a mixed min-pin, started scratching really bad. We didn't think much of it. Saturday morning I noticed he had scratched himself to oozing on his head, and when I looked at his stomach it was crazy red. I immediately took him to the emergency vet, where they told me it must have been allergies. They wipes my dog down with antiseptic, and gave him a shot for allergies (I think bendaryl), and gave me some steroids for the itching. The next morning, Sunday, he got severly worse. The redness was increased and patchy, with red welts everywhere. He had scratched himself to oozing again on his sides. Being a bit upset, I took him back to the emergency vet where they tested negatively for mange, blood test good. Gave me some allergy meds and boosted up the steroids.
He hasn't improved, and I'm still terrified its mites. I don't know what to do, I've been scouring the internet for SOMETHING, but everything either points to mange or allergies. I seriously cannot afford any more vet visits, but I'm willing to take him one more time, to my regular vet. However, shouldn't all vets give me the same conclusion?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
yes, theyre probably doing-done everything they can do right now, it'l take time to work & heal up. Try the ocean or salt baths, & continue the wiping down with the anti-sceptic. Try looking in the garden or where your dog went that night for plants or anything that mightve caused it. The vets would have told you if it was mites, they can tell the difference between mites & environmental allergies. I'm not sure which country your in but over here its spring & seasonal allergies are rife like pollen. There's also wandering dew weed that does that to dogs. I understand in different countries there are other types of plants which are dangerous for dogs. You can also apply aloe vera & its safe if they lick it off. Some vets say its ok to use ecsma cream like non ionic but you dont want them licking it. Might be best to stay with the dog if poss so you can make sure theres not lots of scratching.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top