Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs love furry toys the most, but my rat terrier is a plucker. Once he has done "killing" the toy he just holds it in his front paws and plucks all the fur or fuzz off and quite likely swallows some before we notice and take it away. It's annoying because he ruins toys like this that are otherwise still good. I just worry that the fake nylon 'fur' or whatever its made out of is going to cause a blockage one day. I found a site that sells toys with real rabbit fur. I'm just unsure about the durability. I have never seen any real fur toys available in stores so I can actually check the quality for myself. Undoubtedly this is because bunny-huggers would protest. I'm not concerned about the ethics of using real fur, as long as its sustainable (the toys I'm looking at the fur is from meat rabbits). I dunno seems safer to me for a dog to ingest real fur that faux-fur made from chemicals?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Real fur can cause blockages as well. I've found they're also easier for my girls the rip apart. If they find the bag of real fur flirt toys I have it only takes them about 30 seconds to completely destroy the toy. The best thing would be to avoid toys that he eats any part of, but those may not be as much fun for him. Have you tried any cloth or rubber toys for him?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah rubber toys get zero interest, even the squeaky ones. Cloth is worse because he finds the seams and works out the threads. Those "tuff dog" toys that are supposed to be "worlds toughest dog toy" with the thick black nylon seams don't last ten minutes, because he plucks at the seams until the threads come lose then uses his paws to unravel more. Basically anything that is stitched together becomes unstitched quickly, and he tries to eat the threads.

·
Registered
214 Posts
@Terriermon this is all soooo familiar! :) The longest lasting toys for us are the stuffless ones like the Crazy Critter stuffless and the Skineeeeez. Fin's got one that she's had for about 7 months and the tail finally came off during tug last week.
I got her The Dognald when it came out and was worried she'd go crazy on his hair, but doesn't and hasn't pulled his suit off at all, but his tie has been pulled a little (different fabric) - however she pulled the stitches out of his hands and got the stuffing out there, which was easily fixed.

I'd recommend some stuffless if you've not tried them. They throw well when rolled up and have held up to endless chewing, way more than the 'chewproof' dragons she decimated within hours! ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skineez raccoon lasted a good long time, but he eventually found the seam and removed the squeaker. The rabbit didn't make it to the end of the day. Turkey...15 minutes. I gotta stock up on raccoons lol. It seems to depend on the individual toys, some have more sloppy stitching than others.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I have this one and the fur comes out insanely easy. I have to make sure they get a good grip on the whole thing, and not an edge, and they definitely aren't allowed to chew on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah yeah that's what I was thinking of getting and similar ones. That's no good if it comes out easily though. Yesterday I was plucking the furry toys at the store to see which 'shed' least LOL. the 'skineez' brand really do seem to be best. btw what's with how insanely ridiculous dog toys are becoming? do dogs really need ultra-bright neon colours and cartoon faces on every toy? ok not every toy, but there seem to be fewer toys that resemble real animals and more that are like childrens toys.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Just a random thought but in some of my experiences the...excitement that real fur can bring out in dogs can be a bit too intense for my liking. Some dogs can get obsessed with it and like it so much they will resource guard it, even if they're not prone to resource guarding otherwise.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that's a good point. Most likely it would be very high value. I'm just going to pass on it and keep getting the regular toys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts