Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Re-toilet training dog

745 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Carter1986 
#1 ·
Hi, We have a three year only shih-tzu/pug. he is toilet trained or was I suppose.

We've a 1 y/o daughter, who idolise the dog and he is great with her also. But in the last few months, he's started to urinate in the house again and is directing it towards her stuff.

We think he is acting out/jealous over something but he's not been treated any differently to be she was born.

We are hoping to get some tips because we dont want to leave him outside all the time, as he is an inside dog and it's coming into the warmer weather here in Melbourne.

#2 ·
Whenever a preciously housebroken dog starts going in the house, the first step is to take it to a vet to make sure it is not an illness or infection. Then, if the dog is healthy, start crate training it as it it was a puppy. The dog should either be indoors in a crate, indoors on a leash with you looking at it, or outside. Make a big fuss complimenting the for if you see it peeing or pooping outside. The dog should catch on fairly quickly.
Meantime clean the spots he has used indoors with one of those products meant to clean dog accidents, to remove the scent from the floor or carpet.

#4 ·
Hi,
Yes he's been neutered since he was old enough to be done, about two years nearly maybe.

It is like he is marking but mainly on her stuff. This morning he was outside when i dropped her to creche, i let him in when i returned, we both went up to her room and he cocked his leg against the chair in her room.

We make a fuss over him when he pee's and poo's outside but doesnt seem to have any impact on him.

Every area he's marked, we've cleaned with bleach, but it's only become a real issue since we've moved, as the new place has carpet and the last did not.

#5 ·
How long ago did you move? And when is the last time he's been vet checked?

Many times, marking can be due to insecurity, simply claiming ownership... Is it possible to remove all the baby items into her room and close the door for a while? See if that makes a difference?

#6 ·
Moved around 6 weeks ago but he was doing it in the old house too.

We've moved most of her stuff and closed all the rooms, but we've noticed he's peeing against he laundry basket in the laundry room near the back door twice this week. Its one of those fabric disney ones, so can be washed easily but just annoying.

He was checked at the Vets about 5 weeks ago. He's checked every few weeks when he has his anal glands done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.