Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those not up to date on Jessie and her training see the threads barrier/leash frustration and few other issues thread and changing training clubs threads.

Well not sure how many of you remember that Jessie and i sat the canine good citizen (CGC) foundation exam/assessment 17th October this year! Funny thing is about changing training clubs is the assessor who assessed Jessie on 9th November last year is actually teaching the class at the new training club and remembers Jessie! remembers her because she was sat next to the friendly dog for nearly half a hour then all a sudden when came to that exercise she growled and barked at the dog!

We working on being tied up for five mins without making a noise daily got hooks at home now! not excepting to pass its more that we have tried once a year to pass this especially as missed 2 and half terms due to both our health of classes.

Maybe Jessie will surprise me though who knows?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Good luck!!! Hopefully with your trainers help Miss Jessie will nail it.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks @Rain and @Esand appreciate the good luck but how do you train her when you feel terrible with a chest infection? oh help because i so want to pass! also how many times a day can we practise before its cruel?

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats the being tied up on leash for 5 mins where she aint allowed to make a noise!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Before being cruel? 100 maybe

Lots of people leave dogs in kennels all day long which restrict a dog's movement more than a leash would. I don't think anybody here considers crating as necessarily cruel, it's essentially the same thing.

I taught this in a real life way with my dogs. I've been leaving them tied up outside stores since they were puppies. When the were younger I was always sure to give them a treat when I come back and still do if I have one on hand. Both sort of cried and were a bit anxious the first couple of times but they quickly learned that I was coming back in a second and now just sit and wait for me.

Its fundamentally the same as when you leave to go to work or put them in a crate.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know. I never leave jessie or any of my dogs tied up while I go in supermarket infear of her getting stolen. Im just not very trusting and when and if i move to uk I surely won't be able to do that without her getting pinched?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm guessing it depends on the neighborhood, the place etc, if there are security guards/cameras, but it comes down to whether you feel comfortable or not.

I do but then again Simba is 34kg which makes it a lot harder to do a quick snatch and grab without attracting much attention. If I had Jessie or a dog her size, I might make other choices.

Regardless, I think a good way to start is by leaving her tied up near a door that you leave through rather than walking around a corner or something. You go through doors all the time to go to the bathroom etc, I think dogs understand the people in people out nature of a door even if they don't know what's on the other side.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm guessing it depends on the neighborhood, the place etc, if there are security guards/cameras, but it comes down to whether you feel comfortable or not.

I do but then again Simba is 34kg which makes it a lot harder to do a quick snatch and grab without attracting much attention. If I had Jessie or a dog her size, I might make other choices.

Regardless, I think a good way to start is by leaving her tied up near a door that you leave through rather than walking around a corner or something. You go through doors all the time to go to the bathroom etc, I think dogs understand the people in people out nature of a door even if they don't know what's on the other side.
Due to the club having fake grass and real grass and there will be other dogs tied up on the day i better start out back in the back garden by the fence got some hooks that she cant pull out :) So far only a few whinges or moans and one bark but take into account this is today and we did it 6 times if she whined or moaned i stopped told her quiet nad stay then re timed her via timer on cell phone. she learnt she wil get a bunny treat at the end as well which helped. also i made it seem i was busy to ignore her and her moans to block them out which helped her.

I didnt go too far i basically went onto the deck area via the back door but to start with only to the steps to go down to the deck then i increased the distance as i want her to succeed.

Got a hook on front deck facing front door so that will help as well.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'd not start with the whole 5 minutes, but work up to it. Start in a place that she's comfortable with being, whether it's in your apartment, your parents, where ever it may be, and figure out how long you can leave her before she starts getting upset, and practice leaving her for that amount of time and slowly add time till you get to the full 5 minutes. After she's good with you leaving her in the apartment or wherever you've been practicing, move to a new location with a bit more distractions and begin training her like you did in your apartment, slowly adding time till your up to the 5 minutes, then move to a new location. Practice in each place for as many days as it takes to get her comfortable.

Some things to remember is that you need her to stay calm, you don't want to stay gone so long that she's starting to get upset, so if you can only be gone 30 seconds at first that's O.K., it's just a starting point. Leave for 30 seconds and go back till she's good with you being gone that amount of time, then try adding 10 more seconds, if she's good with that add 10 more, if not subtract 5 and see how she does. Keep working like that till you get to the 5 minutes.

Practice at one place, till she's comfortable being left in that location for 5 minutes, then move to a new place. Do it that way because if you only practice say at home, or in front of one store, then that's the only place she'll be good being left. If you practice everywhere then she'll learn that where ever you leave her she's O.K. and you are going to be coming back. Remember when practicing to only practice like I wrote above, you don't want her getting upset and fussing.

Wait till she's quiet to go to her, if she's fussing wait till she's quiet for 5 seconds to go to her (but do your best to not be gone long enough to start fussing). If she starts fussing while you are going towards her then stop and wait till she's quiet again before moving towards her. You'll be teaching her that quiet is what gets you to go to her, but making noise gets you to stop. It'll be frustrating for you (at least it is when I have to do it with Zody), because you may only be able to take a step or two before she starts acting up before you have to stop and completely (don't look at her, don't talk to her) ignore her. If you go towards her while she's making noise or acting up you could teach her that that's how she can get you to go to her.

5 or 10 minute sessions 4 or 5 times a day is plenty, Just remember to stop a session if y'all are getting really frustrated or you feel yourself getting upset. Training should be fun, neither you nor Jessie should be dreading it, so it's best to have frequent fun sessions then a few long, boring, frustrating ones.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd not start with the whole 5 minutes, but work up to it. Start in a place that she's comfortable with being, whether it's in your apartment, your parents, where ever it may be, and figure out how long you can leave her before she starts getting upset, and practice leaving her for that amount of time and slowly add time till you get to the full 5 minutes. After she's good with you leaving her in the apartment or wherever you've been practicing, move to a new location with a bit more distractions and begin training her like you did in your apartment, slowly adding time till your up to the 5 minutes, then move to a new location. Practice in each place for as many days as it takes to get her comfortable.

Some things to remember is that you need her to stay calm, you don't want to stay gone so long that she's starting to get upset, so if you can only be gone 30 seconds at first that's O.K., it's just a starting point. Leave for 30 seconds and go back till she's good with you being gone that amount of time, then try adding 10 more seconds, if she's good with that add 10 more, if not subtract 5 and see how she does. Keep working like that till you get to the 5 minutes.

Practice at one place, till she's comfortable being left in that location for 5 minutes, then move to a new place. Do it that way because if you only practice say at home, or in front of one store, then that's the only place she'll be good being left. If you practice everywhere then she'll learn that where ever you leave her she's O.K. and you are going to be coming back. Remember when practicing to only practice like I wrote above, you don't want her getting upset and fussing.

Wait till she's quiet to go to her, if she's fussing wait till she's quiet for 5 seconds to go to her (but do your best to not be gone long enough to start fussing). If she starts fussing while you are going towards her then stop and wait till she's quiet again before moving towards her. You'll be teaching her that quiet is what gets you to go to her, but making noise gets you to stop. It'll be frustrating for you (at least it is when I have to do it with Zody), because you may only be able to take a step or two before she starts acting up before you have to stop and completely (don't look at her, don't talk to her) ignore her. If you go towards her while she's making noise or acting up you could teach her that that's how she can get you to go to her.

5 or 10 minute sessions 4 or 5 times a day is plenty, Just remember to stop a session if y'all are getting really frustrated or you feel yourself getting upset. Training should be fun, neither you nor Jessie should be dreading it, so it's best to have frequent fun sessions then a few long, boring, frustrating ones.
Well there was a few times not even 20 seconds had gone by before she moaned i put my finger to my lip she quiet down and i said good girl. she could see me and what i was doing though. Started in back garden where there's distractions as will be on the day.

Found 2 or 3 minutes in starts to moan so stopped then got her calm once she did the 5 mins without moaning or only moaning once she got a big piece of treat! this really encouraged her to try keep quiet. She then went 4 mins before moaning. i was so proud of her. I wasn't frustrated but very patient.

I think while practising when she quiet i go give a treat or click the clicker so she knows she doing it right so she knows that faster? im determined to pass this but if we again mostly pass but one or two things thats ok ive given it another shot and i know how it goes this time!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well making progress and today was a very very good test because we have been practising out in the back garden and theres dogs behind and next door to us basically. Anyway harry and cooper were outside today let them say hi then got Jess on the lead tied up and she only moaned once each time or twice each time and it got less and less! 3 times no noise at all! so proud of her! lets hope it shows in class the hard work were doing! never mind on the day.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pics of practise

here are photos of the practise while she was quiet that i sent to @Rain on facebook messenger so shouldnt be sideways since i saved to computer!

Attachments

Reactions: Rain

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So went training last night and two trainers suggested what rain did! however i can either treat her or just praise her but go back to her before makes noise and gradually decrease it and see if she will stay in down stay as harder to bark in that position! So we did down stay today was terrible so when she stayed still every 10-20 seconds praise.treat till got to 2 mins. then tried without treats for two mins all good we got to 3! then all a sudden got to five!

So tried the downstay tied up not as good but she did well so more to practise but thats ok. Also to practise recall more but she a cheeky one is Jessie. She is like let me think about it am i up to coming back to you right now and wont but on the day last year was perfect! but not once today did she moan tied up! so proud of her! ive exhausted her with all that mental stimulation though lol.

Reactions: revolutionrocknroll

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YES! working on that down stay and treating and praising her every 10-30 seconds so helps! she will downstay tied up for 3 mins now! she barely made a noise either! we are doing so much training including all the following:

Down stay
Tie up for 5 mins
Recall
Sit
Down
Come games for her recall

You can imagine with all this mental stimulation Jessie was pretty exhausted! also on walks trying to be random with my commands eg down , sit.

Reactions: Shandula

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HOORAY! we focusing extra hard as can imagine and we reached 5 mins down stay untied and tied up! she didnt make a noise either i even went inside to wash my hands and she was still in down stay! i am so so proud of Jessie excellent and brilliant she is! oh my i cant beleive my luck maybe we will pass this now. only to try get her in a down without treats now for the day and that will be the ultimate thing for me esp if she passes that excercise!

Reactions: PoppyKenna

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quick update we had CGC class tonight and did well however if the assessment was tonight it would be a fail!

recall-great
greeting friendly stranger and dog-great
being patted though she did jump up a few times :(
supervised separation- good but when person made eye contact she decided to jump up apparently
tied up - didn't start off too well made some noises but got more confident as the class went on and hardly made a noise toward the end :) however in beginning i did build her confidence up by returning and treating her
food manners great!

so fingers tightly crossed for saturday!

Reactions: PoppyKenna and Sha

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

Sat it (walking through crowds, friendly dog, stranger jess jumped at(child), patted by friendly stranger, person eating we did. after that got told to wait with the others. Later on got told she cant pass jessie or let her continue on as she failed because of jumping at the boy and her not listening to me apparently i had to tell her to sit multiple times which i dont remember, and i need a longer lead for a small dog?

Im really dissapointed nad upset at teh assessor as i paid the full $25 to do the whole assessment and i only got to do 1 part of it not the full amount and it was either go home or observe the others! talk about adding insult to injury. Asked if can please continue on as ive been training her hard for the tie up and more and id like to complete it all got told no because so far failed. i hate that word. i sat down and cried dissapointed not in Jessie but nto being able to do the assessment like i was last year! So re sit at titahi bay next month.

Jessie is just laying so still so tired i made sure i ran aroud with her to tire her out so doesnt jump up worked to a point. Didnt even get to the left turns, right turns sit very disappointing and will be giving feedback. however great pics were taken

·
Registered
495 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you guys didn't get it this time. I was rooting for you both!

From your signature, it looks like you took a CGC class. Considering what you said in the other post about having to take quite a bit of time off due to health stuff (understandably!), maybe it might work best to do the foundations class again before resitting the test? That way you get more practice and some advice from a trainer in person.

Good luck, whatever route you go!

Edit: Oops, I missed that you were just taking the CGC class, so my advice is no help. Sorry! I hope the more experienced folks can give you some good advice!

Reactions: crazy
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.