Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my dog has had worms 4 times now. A couple of times I've treated him, and then one time I took him to the vet. I hadn't seen any signs of worms for a couple of months until this morning when I took him out and saw one in his stool that was moving.

He tends to eat our cat's poop if the cat decides to poop outside the litter box, so I wonder if that's why he keeps contracting them. He also LOVES TO EAT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! However, the vet said it's not very likely it's from the cat(s) plus these have been at least a couple of different types of worm.

Has anyone experienced so many cases of worms? I'm going to take him to the vet again. Maybe the worms have actually never really gone away? :eek::hammer:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Contaminated soil.
Eating other animals' poop that have worms. (if they are Hookworms this is how your dog got them)
Some are just dormant for a long time, then activate.
Some take multiple rounds of treatment to kill off.
Eating fleas. (Tapeworms)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, the one he was diagnosed with at the vet was hookworm. But I think he also had roundworm and whipworm...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,
Worms are disgusting but treatable. Unless they are heart worms, which need different meds, treating with "Safe-Guard- Fenbendazole" is very practical and effective. You can buy at feed stores or on-line. The dewormer for goats is the same product for dogs. Just at different dosing amount. There are charts that show weights/amounts for dogs. We treat our puppies monthly after 9 weeks old and up to one year. Adults get 2x @ year.
Don't get discouraged. This too shall pass...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, it's just frustrating. I used Sentry, the vet put him on Drontal (which he had me do twice), then I used Safeguard as you suggest. I followed the instructions for weight and dosing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
All my dogs are on heartworm prevention. Sentinal for the big dogs, heaRtgard for the little dogs.
deworms monthly against the most common intestinal parasites. Hookworms can sometimes be tough to eradicate.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much! So heartworm med is really not a dewormer, it's just a preventative right? So I'm assuming it stops unhatched eggs in their tracks...?

·
Registered
880 Posts
@Cuppybear

My dog currently takes Sentinel Spectrum. I would think that if a dog has a bad case of any type of worms an additional dewomer will be needed in addition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did the vet say what type of worms?

Some have an intermediate host, meaning that the worm lives in a host other than your pet (example a flea, tick, fish, rat, ect...). Your pet can ingest this intermediate host and reinfect themselves.

Is your dog currently on flea prevention? I know a lot of vets only use it in spring and summer months, but if tapeworm is the problem then it's worthwhile to use a flea preventative year round.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts