Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I first posted here as "SadOwner" complaining about my relationship with our rat terrier, Chase. That post is quite shameful to me as I said many things that weren't true, such as, I don't like Chase, etc. But I did get really kind, helpful responses, thank you for that. Basically a lot of what I thought I knew about dogs was wrong. Blame lies on me but I also point a finger at Mr. Milan cause I was a big fan of his before. I've since learned that using his methods is what resulted in my dog being terrified of me. My first two dogs were bull-breeds and that 'alpha male' balony didn't phase them much. It scared the crap outta Chase though.

So, I started over. Stopped any and all corrections. When I entered the house, I would go get a piece of cheese or cooked meat then go find Chase (cause he always hid from me) and gave to him. After about a week, he was coming to greet me when I came home or came downstairs in the mornings (previously he would hide, or just sit there and shake). I started training him the basics again with lots of treats and no "tssh!" or leash corrections. Things continue to get better and I finally took him to a scent detection aka nosework class. We both love it. Although I have only been able to attend the one class so far, we got the basics and a scent kit and have been practicing. He really enjoys it and I am quite proud of how good he is at it. Its something we can do together where I can sit on the sidelines and don't have to worry about stepping on him with my big clumsy feet and it also helps calm and focus him.

Now, here's the biggest change. As many suggested might helped, and we wanted to anyway, we got another dog about a month ago. A terrier mix puppy. She is now 11 weeks and a real firecracker. Chase really came out of his shell pretty much the day we brought her home, and ohhh boy no longer do I have a wilting flower, I have two terrierish terriers causing chaos lol. We have a whole new set of challenges, and I will need some advice!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
We all learn as we go along. People get sucked in by Mr Milan and his type of training. Glad you came to this forum and learned their are other more positive ways to teach your pups. Sounds like your relationship with your dog is improving and that is great to hear. Good luck with the new one. You have many happy years ahead of you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts