Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the other day I was walking Bubby and he had two leashes on. He busted his collar off and almost killed a cat. Then, trying to put him in the backyard, he bit me in the face :/
Well since there is a 1 1/2 year old baby in the house and we have a small backyard, and I cant control Bubby on a leash anymore, we all decided it would be best to re-home him, and adopt a "family-dog" from the shelter :/
I love Bubby very much so this will be hard....
Plus its even harder getting another dog from the shelter, because we were already planning on getting a friend for Bubby.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Legally you can't rehome a dog like this. If it hurts som'one, you are liable because you knew he had biting issues. Most people end up either keeping the dog, or euthanizing it.

Can you hire a behaviorist? The behaviorist can tell you if its the dog or you that is the problem.

Has he been checked out (throughly...blood tests...the whole works) by a vet? Pain can trigger aggression.

What makes you think another dog is the solution? It seems like you are throwing this one away because it has an issue you don't feel like dealing with.

What happens if the other dog has the same issues? You need to hire a proffesional to assess the dog.

what type of training are you using? Why did he bite your face? What happened specifically?

If you do decide to get rid of him I don't recommend getting another dog.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Well, the other day I was walking Bubby and he had two leashes on. He busted his collar off and almost killed a cat. Then, trying to put him in the backyard, he bit me in the face :/
Well since there is a 1 1/2 year old baby in the house and we have a small backyard, and I cant control Bubby on a leash anymore, we all decided it would be best to re-home him, and adopt a "family-dog" from the shelter :/
I love Bubby very much so this will be hard....
Plus its even harder getting another dog from the shelter, because we were already planning on getting a friend for Bubby.
I take it you have not worked on leash training? I suggest hiring a private trainer to help you with this. Also what kind of collar was he wearing? He may need a stronger collar.

I agree with Crio, I do not think giving him away is the answer and he should be checked out by a vet. Can we get details on the situation? When you were putting him in the backyard were you above him and forcing him through the gate? Was his bite a real bite or was he trying to get you to let him go and hit you with his teeth?

I am sorry this happened, it is tough but there are solutions. How long have you had him again? And did you rescue him from a shelter?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He very good on the leash, until someone walks by or he sees a cat. Then I have to litteraly sit on him to keep him from hurting someone. And I got him as a puppy, and have had him for..7months. And I really dont have a choice but to give him away because I live with my parents right now and if I dont do something they will call the animal control or dump him somewhere.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
He very good on the leash, until someone walks by or he sees a cat. Then I have to litteraly sit on him to keep him from hurting someone. And I got him as a puppy, and have had him for..7months. And I really dont have a choice but to give him away because I live with my parents right now and if I dont do something they will call the animal control or dump him somewhere.
Did you not put him through puppy training? Could you ask them to give him a chance through some tough training? You would have to be 100% honest with potential owners that he was not trained and has attacked a dog and a cat

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
This dog simply needs impulse control training. "don't train me, don't blame me"

Please get him to a trainer.

You still havent' explained why he bit your face...

how big is this dog? Stop using a collar and get a no pull harness. He can pull all he wants in that and you can control him with two fingers.

Hes also a puppy. He is impatient and has energy to burn, you must realize that. Patient, positive training can help ALOT. He simply sounds overexcited, understimulated and unsure of whats expected of him.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is trained, has been since he was 5wks, we worked on training everyday until he snapped out. I think he's just at that age, so I did get him a trainer. I know he's gonna get in trouble somewhere along the line, but hopefully obediance will help. Im still gonna try and find him another home, but I dont want him to stay in my backyard forever. Im kinda scared to even interact with him now.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Please try breed rescues first. Lab rescues are not likely to take a pit mix, so i suggest calling/emailing a pitbull rescue and asking for help. All these are in GA.

Welcome to Pit Prints Rescue and Rehabilitation

All or Nothing Pitbull Rescue

Dog, cat and pet care, health, rescue, adoption, breeds and breeder resources

www.ascpbr.com

These people may not take him, but they many point you to som'one who can. Please don't return him to the shelter system, and putting him in a home that is not equiped to handle this problem is a recipe for disaster. He needs more training, or different training and belongs in an experienced home.

I wish you and your dog luck, if you need anything just ask.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks :) And yeah Im not gonna put him in a home thats not gonna get him help. I mean, wouldnt that be like letting him stay with me?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts