Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My relative produced a litter of english bulldog puppies 12 months ago and I bought one. About 3 months ago someone had returned another puppy to him because she was "attacking her other dogs". And I adopted her.

It has been almost 3 months of her living with me, but she still seems to be in constant fear and anxiety. She sits on her pillow all day with her head hanging down, avoiding eye contact. Many times she's trembling. I feed her twice a day but many times she refuses to eat. She jumps off her pillow and looks like she's looking to escape every time someone walks into a room, gets up off the couch, drops the remote, or any kind of routine stimulus.

Things have gotten better over the past 3 months but it still seems to be excessive. The only time she seems happy is when I come home from work or when she is playing outside with her sister. Her ears perk up, her tail is wagging and she's dancing all over the yard, but as soon as she comes into the house she becomes extremely fearful, depressed and anxious. She's a very gentle, non aggressive dog. I give her a lot of attention and exercise and chew toys. Ive had many bulldogs in my life but Ive never seen this before. Anybody know what I do about this? Shes gotta be under an extreme amount of stress and I need to help her.

Edit: We live in a relatively quiet house, I never yelled at her or punished her. But based on her behavior I would bet that the previous owner put her through the wringer. At times when I see that shes especially anxious and trembling for apparently no reason, I sit down with her and pet her and try to talk to her in a calming voice. She will climb on top of me and relaxes but tries to stop me from leaving her side when I try to get up.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
first... have you taken her to the vet since you've had her? it's really important to rule out medical causes of behavior issues right away.

the next thing to do would be to work on building her confidence. help her to make positive associations with the things that she is reacting frightened to. it might help for you to make a list, then start pairing low levels of the frightening thing with something yummy (food is the best/easiest thing to use in these cases) make sure that you portion out her meals to account for the extra treats, and go slowly... if she is frightened of you entering a room she is in, then enter slowly, and speak softly to her, drop a few goodies near her. if going from sitting to standing scares her, start by tossing her treats when you sit forward, then lean back, forward-treat, lean back etc. work on just a few things at a time. you also need to make her world predictable, and set her up for success... have you ever/do you clicker or marker train? there are some great games and techniques that can help build confidence.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Poor thing! It's really sweet how dedicated you are to helping the dog.
Just a suggestion, along with introducting things to her slowly like the previous post, I would reccomend ignoring her when she's going through those neurotic periods. When you coax and comfort her, its almost as if your telling her "it's good to be scared because you receive more attention." I know every dog is different and it could be something else, but that is what I had to do with my dog when he was fearful of people. I just ignored the behavior and he's starting to come out of his shell. Just a recommendation :) Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Poor thing! It's really sweet how dedicated you are to helping the dog.
Just a suggestion, along with introducting things to her slowly like the previous post, I would reccomend ignoring her when she's going through those neurotic periods. When you coax and comfort her, its almost as if your telling her "it's good to be scared because you receive more attention." I know every dog is different and it could be something else, but that is what I had to do with my dog when he was fearful of people. I just ignored the behavior and he's starting to come out of his shell. Just a recommendation :) Good luck!!

I have heard that said , dont comfort fear then I saw this.
This might help I really like kikopup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts