Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on rawhide bones? I know a lot of people who say to stay away from them for various reasons, but I always give them to ours. I always get ones larger than recommended for the dog's size and never leave them available when we're away.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally I never recommend these only because of how dangerous they can be. They aren't particually bad for your dog though

Rawhide, when wet turns into a taffy like material, so it expandes anywhere from 2-4 times the size of the bone. If a dog breaks off a dry piece and swallows it, it can (and most likely will) expand in the stomach, causing blockage.

My dogs can't have it cause my one got it stuck in his throat and I had to pull it out. Instead I normally give him real bones...like the Jones or Merrick brand....or I use the Nylabone products (I use the Galilao ones cause they are stronger)

Some dogs do well with rawhide, others do not. If you've had no problems, then your dogs are probably good and know better than to swallow big chunks of it. But, as you said you do, always keep an eye on them while they have it just in case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All Natural Dog Treats

There is many different treats out there. We feed our dogs all natural dog treats from Doggilicious Canine Cafe. Our dogs love them. Hope that helps .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I stopped feeding rawhide after my dog ate a whole stick and then threw it up, full, expanded to 3x's it's size. Rawhide is also made with fermeldahide (sp?) and I prefer not to feed that to my dog.

I have found that a great alternative is a Bully Stick, available at any pet store (but cheaper at specialty shops). They do cost a little more, but I don't have to worry about giving them to her.

They last as long as a bully stick and is made of pure dried beef tendon. I have to add that my dog is a heavy chewer. Good Luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I won't use rawhides anymore due to one of my dogs swallowed a big piece, it swelled in her belly, and she got really sick, and vomited so much, but nothing came up. It blocked her up. She had it taken out by a vet with endoscopy, (I think that is what they call it) Alot of money that wont happen again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, there are so many wrong turns that one can turn to take for a much loved pet. Having this forum, which is so much more active than others, is a great comfort, even if you can't find the answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not to take advantage to so much serious need,but, please look at the banner at the top of the check-in page. Do ask questions, I will gladly answer them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh,dear. Yes, I do respond to your questions. I have owned, I hate to say 'owned', Antis for such a long time for such a greatly loved lab/shepherd mix. He is so very special. However, do check in on the banner at the top of the hop page. The jewelry is dimensional. That is, the separate parts of the body are applied separately so that the piece is dimensional. check it out. Money back guarantee. Yes, I do love the jewelry and do think it is so special that I give a money back guarantee. Do check us out. Phone 805-448-3121 for further info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Try Merrick's Texas Toothpicks or Bully Sticks in stead. I personally like Texas Toothpicks because they are smoked cow tails unlike Bully Stick which are dried bull or steer's penis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts