Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on this forum ages ago and I'm back. So hi!

I'm thinking about introducing my dog to partially/occasionally raw as a supplement to her kibble. She currently eats Taste of the Wild, which I generally like, but the advantages of raw are appealing to me. I feel like a 1/3-2/3 or building up to a half-half diet might be good for her. She already gets raw marrow bones and loves them. We have have a great butcher right down the road, which is where she gets her raw bones.

However, my little ball of fluff is allergic to/intolerant of chicken and we generally try to avoid turkey as well, just in case. All of the raw websites I've read have turkey and chicken as the generally baseline meat for raw feeding. She's also a small fluff (a rescue, but best current guess is a terrier-Lhasa Apso mix).

Are there any resources or ideas? Anyone else do this without poultry?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Cooked chicken and raw are two Completly different things, so usually dogs that have intolerances to a protein don't when it is in raw form. So I would try it and see for some time.

Also, marrow bones aren't recomended due to how dense they are. They are a risk for breaking teeth. Stick with edible bones like chicken, turkey, pork, etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She gets really violently ill when she eats chicken so I'd prefer you trust that I know my dog on this one. It took a long time of working one-on-one with the vet to even figure out what was going on and more time after that to get her back into shape. She was incredibly ill for a long time and had a long recovery period.

For an allergy or intolerance, unless it's an allergy/intolerance to a specific molecular bond created by denaturing during the cooking process (which I find unlikely at best), I see no scientific ground for becoming violently ill at the cooked item and tolerating it raw.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If you don't want to use chicken or turkey, you can start with pork, just know pork is richer than either one.

If it was kibble causing your dog to be so sick, there are tons of other ingredients that are synthetic, that dogs can have problems with. The protein is what always gets the blame first. And yes there could be an intolerance, but a true protein allergy in dogs is rare. But yes, cooked processed proteins can be comepletly different from the raw form. Dogs bodies aren't designed for cooked, they are designed to be able to handle raw. So the body may handle it differently. Not all dogs have problems with it, but some do so it can make a difference.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My pup got terrible terrible diarrhea with raw chicken. Even when I fed her just chicken backs, drumsticks with no skin she would get really sick. Funnily enough, cooked chicken breast was okay.

I've omitted raw chicken from her diet (she's on 100% raw, no kibble) but she eats everything else, including turkey which doesn't give her any stomach reactions.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Chicken can be a culprit of intolerances, but it's also bad about being loaded with sodium enhancements as well, which can be the cause, rather than the protein as well. Some dogs just don't do well with it, and it won't hurt the diet to do without.

But anytime chicken is fed, be sure to check sodium levels just to be safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was on this forum ages ago and I'm back. So hi!

I'm thinking about introducing my dog to partially/occasionally raw as a supplement to her kibble. She currently eats Taste of the Wild, which I generally like, but the advantages of raw are appealing to me. I feel like a 1/3-2/3 or building up to a half-half diet might be good for her. She already gets raw marrow bones and loves them. We have have a great butcher right down the road, which is where she gets her raw bones.

However, my little ball of fluff is allergic to/intolerant of chicken and we generally try to avoid turkey as well, just in case. All of the raw websites I've read have turkey and chicken as the generally baseline meat for raw feeding. She's also a small fluff (a rescue, but best current guess is a terrier-Lhasa Apso mix).

Are there any resources or ideas? Anyone else do this without poultry?
First of all, welcome back Sir. Good to have you here again. I have read that cooked bones are not good for dogs and as your dog is allergic to chicken, I think for her you can order food from dog meal suppliers. You can tell them about all her eating habits and then you can order food accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts