Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't normally end up having a LOT of raw meat around but last night I was making pork and there was a lot of fatty parts to be cut off. I haven't really put much thought into feeding raw and I *know* I don't have the time to really do it properly, but it'd be nice I think to be able to let her have the scraps. She's so thin naturally that I don't think eating fat would make her fat but how should I go about this? Or is it a bad idea to save her scraps, and I should just toss them? I don't mind adding things like carrots and veggies to it or combining with kibble, and it wouldn't necessarily be often that she gets fed raw. In general her stomach seems to handle pretty much everything in stride. I was careful transitioning her food but she never really cared and really just wants everything you're eating.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
The pure fat/little meat isn't the best, especially if your dog doesn't get raw often.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured, though was more wondering in SMALL amounts-as in the meatier parts, since I trim more than I should =x I wouldn't just give her purely fat pieces, but it would be less meat/more fat likely. I don't mind supplementing with other things or trying raw every now and again, though I've done home cooked a few times-meat hasn't gone on sale here in a while, so I honestly haven't been eating that much myself. What about bones? I've never thought about it before because of her chipped tooth but if I have them around already and they're softer bones maybe she would be okay, after all....

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
Soft raw bones are fine, no weight bearing bones (legs). Since raw and kibble digest at different rates, it's better to alternate meals. So, if she had kibble for dinner, she can have raw/bones for breakfast.

Also look at how the bones were cut (I'm assuming we're talking pork chop bones?). They are usually cut with a saw that will make a super sharp edge. It's up to you if you think it'll be alright. I examine each bone individually. It may be fine in one pack of meat, but too small or sharp in another.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This time yes, it's pork chops lol. Thanks for the quick info! These ones aren't sharp or pointed...I'm always pretty paranoid :S Maybe I'll have a spare cooked piece of meat that's tempting enough so I can trade her for it if I need to.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I'd be carefull with the bones for the reasons stated above.

For the scraps: I forget, is she grown or a pup? If she's still a pup I'd not add extras beyond 1-2 % of her food unless you want to balance it all. But for a grown dog an occasional topper of a small amount of extras isn't going to do harm as long as her digestion will handle it. Just becarefull with the fatty stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's 2 years old in Jan. She's about 50 lbs right now and is eating 3-4 cups of Kirkland's chicken and rice, and the difference is made up in veggies and homemade treats. I used to feed her more (of the bad food, and then this one) but managed to slowly get her down a little bit without her losing weight-I don't think she was using the extra.

I'm thinking I'm going to try with one piece first that's meatier-maybe only the size of a grape and see how she handles it. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine but I don't want to overdo it and would rather be safe than sorry, even if it means tossing the worse cuts. It's just sucky to see good pieces go to waste because I'm terrible at cutting meat lol. Plus her face gets me...

Is there anything else I should be super careful about? I know they can handle freezer burn better than we can, what about defrosting? Since it's only small amounts and I'm careful with my food it would be out of the freezer, in the fridge for a day or two if that's alright.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
Freezer burnt is fine. Feeding frozen is fine. I can usually move meat from the freezer and get about 4 days of thawing before it gets a little slimy. Even then, you can rinse it off and it should be fine (I'll either feed or re-freeze at this point).

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Feeding frozen is fine? That might be an idea...lol. She eats snow on a regular basis so I think she might actually like it that way. Does it take longer to eat?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Feeding frozen is fine? That might be an idea...lol. She eats snow on a regular basis so I think she might actually like it that way. Does it take longer to eat?
Yea, large pieces will generally take longer to get through, which is a good thing to help slow down gulpers and for the mental stimulation that comes from the chewing.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
Yep! Quest gets about 90% of his meals frozen. He's a careful chewer/no gulping, but I like to take advantage of it taking him longer to eat. Plus, I forget to thaw things on a regular basis.

Reactions: Kwenami

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Oh yah, by the age of 2 she'd be fine with the occasional weird meal. Just start her slow to be sure her system will take it.

And yup, frozen is fine. Apollo prefers frozen actually....

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yay! This sounds like fun. She's a big chewer so I'm sure she'll enjoy that on bigger pieces, plus then I don't have to thaw stuff XD

I gave her a few small pieces of pork today to test the waters. She was very, very excited. And focused.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Dogs have survived for thousands of years living off our table scraps...

The one thing I would be VERY careful about, is to not reinforce begging, not even one little bit. I don't know about you, but I can't stand it when dogs beg, or even stare at me when I am eating. I would suggest putting the scraps away and using them for a training session later, or a separate meal. I give Yogi bones and things, but always separate from cooking or our meal. He know when I say "human food", he gives up and lies down.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know dogs have survived perfectly fine off table scraps and raw before, but I don't want to risk her being the silly one once and hurting herself. And it'd be nicer to not have her get fat at all-she's so perfectly sized and muscly now that I don't want to ruin it lol. A friend came over the other day (professional athlete) who agreed when I said I was jealous of her legs XD And he's not exactly scrawny. Just want to keep her health first, since I can afford decent food for her.

Koda came to me with a huge begging problem. I don't mind her staring, it's pretty funny to watch her stare at other people actually, but the counter surfing and attempting to grab food from my hands (rare but it happens..not even for the best stuff...and when you're trying to make snowballs for her) are bigger issues. It was way worse when she first got here but she got the hang of it, for the most part.

I did put the scraps away though and wait before feeding, or at the very least she has to wait until I'm done. If I catch her fast enough I can call out leave it and things are fine. Mostly she likes sitting under other people when they eat-I'm pretty clean and don't drop things often but other people are messy and she manages to get crumbs even when they aren't sharing -_- But that's another topic lol. She's not that bad or I'd have looked around/asked for help sooner.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Storm will ONLY eat frozen meats... I think anything softer feels like living tissue - fingers, toes... etc... lol

He'll whimper, keep giving it to me, and whimper... After a while I freeze it, and he's happy...

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So...we tried a small meaty piece that was raw.

Stool etc is normal, farts smell TERRIBLE. She only had one or two but compared to normal they were bad xD Maybe a smaller piece next time to get her more used to it first...? Or a different type of meat. We'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Oh yes, anything that falls on the floor is fair game--Yogi loves Taco night ;)
And if I'm cooking in the kitchen, he's there on cleanup duty.

But will he ever get anywhere by begging? --noooooo

I've forgotten how bad dog farts can be--Yogi had them bad before we switched him to a better food. Haven't had one in a while. Hopefully it is just a matter of getting the right digestive enzymes cranked up, and next time will get better.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fair enough, I do try to not reinforce begging :p Her begging is mostly hard stares at your food but every now and then she still tries to creep in my lap and I have to stand/remind her to not steal XD

To be fair to poor Koda, they could have been much worse-it's not like I had to clear the room. She normally smells good though so it was a big change. XD I think trying less will help but we're gonna keep trying in small amounts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts