Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am considering switching my dog from raw duck to raw pork (Big Country Raw brand) because I think she is becoming itchy from duck. She was on pork before but her stool changed from small, hard, whitish like balls to brown (almost black), soft long stools. Because she has had anal gland issues, I knew this couldn't be good so I switched her back. However, I just read that pork is hypoallergenic and that blackish stool could be a sign that she was switched too fast to a new protein and perhaps fed "too much" organ meat.

I have to admit, I didn't transition her but rather just switched her not thinking this could cause issues.

Now I am thinking about slowly transitioning her from duck to pork (SLOWLY) and giving her extra pork bones (if possible) to bulk up her stool and aid in giving her more bone than organ. I am hoping this plan will help her succeed on pork and help her anal gland issues resolve.

What do you think about this?
Also, if pork bones are ok for dogs to eat - which bones do you recommend? Are any Unsafe?

Thank you in advance!
Kerri

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Raw pork bone is excellent. Just be sure she can break them down and eat them. I bought racks of ribs in the past, pretty cheap. Necks, feet, all good. Have you fed beef yet?

You mentioned antibiotics in another thread? Is she on any meds now? Antibiotics will screw up the GI tract, maybe she needs some probiotic to get her back on track. Could be part of the issue.

Chasing these issues while on meds isn't good, I'll say that again. As a carry over for Jagger, we tried reactine - didn't have any effect, but claritin helped alot. If you're going to try that route, make sure it's plain.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As I mentioned in the other thread, I would avoid feeding raw until you get the infections under control.

Pork isn't as jam packed with worms as it used to be but it's still one of the the most common places to find them.

I would recommend an extremely limited ingredient "prescription" food and no bones nor treats or anything until you figure out what's going on (and go through a full series of antiparasitics).

Actually what I really recommend is going to the vet and explaining the whole story, with every possible detail you can think of, even ones you don't think are that relevant.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Pork bones and meat are just fine. Mine are eating them tonight. Pork ribs. Be sure they are domestic raised pigs and not wild boar.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yeah, pork ribs are good! I freeze my pork ('just in case', LOL!) for a few days after bringing it home from my local butcher. I rotate types of meat almost everyday and have never had a problem. Chicken, pork, goat, beef and lamb, beef liver, chicken gizzards and hearts, are in our usual protein rotation..........my girl hates fish hahaha
unless it's my tuna sandwich of course!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
freeze my pork ('just in case', LOL!) for a few days after bringing it home from my local butcher.
That's not long enough. To kill parasites you need to freeze pork for 3 weeks if I remember correctly. That does work on parasites but doesnt affect most infection causing bacteria.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
That's not long enough. To kill parasites you need to freeze pork for 3 weeks if I remember correctly. That does work on parasites but doesnt affect most infection causing bacteria.
Pork doesn't have to be frozen. I have fed it fresh many times. Parasites are going to be in intestines which you aren't feeding anyway.

Wild boar is another story. Parasites boar into muscles as well as intestines, and while you can freeze it to potentially kill those parasites, the freeze temperature has to be much lower than the average persons freezer. Around -20 degrees.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I too was told freezing is unnecessary but I do it to make myself 'feel' more secure !
Pork for human grade consumption is very safe! I can see the need for wild game boar needing more tho!!!

Reactions: naturalfeddogs

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Pork doesn't have to be frozen. I have fed it fresh many times. Parasites are going to be in intestines which you aren't feeding anyway.

Wild boar is another story. Parasites boar into muscles as well as intestines, and while you can freeze it to potentially kill those parasites, the freeze temperature has to be much lower than the average persons freezer. Around -20 degrees.
Pork does need to frozen or cooked to kill T. spiralis. It can either be in a regular freezer for 3 weeks or you can freeze it to an internal temp of -30C and not have to hold it but that is below the temp freezers get to.

I just checked on this, the info is from the CDC.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Pork does need to frozen or cooked to kill T. spiralis. It can either be in a regular freezer for 3 weeks or you can freeze it to an internal temp of -30C and not have to hold it but that is below the temp freezers get to.

I've been eating pork medium to medium well for the last 20 years, never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've been eating pork medium to medium well for the last 20 years, never had an issue.
Yup me too. Can't stand dry pork. The whole thing about having to cook the crap out of pork to kill parasites was always a myth since the Trichinella parasite is killed in under 3 min @ 137 F which is what most of us would call medium rare for pork.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

That's trichnosis, carried commonly in wild boar that I mentioned earlier. It's basically non exsistant in domestic, USDA pork.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow everyone!

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and advice.

Its very much appreciated!
Kerri

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Raw pork bone is excellent. Just be sure she can break them down and eat them. I bought racks of ribs in the past, pretty cheap. Necks, feet, all good. Have you fed beef yet?

You mentioned antibiotics in another thread? Is she on any meds now? Antibiotics will screw up the GI tract, maybe she needs some probiotic to get her back on track. Could be part of the issue.

Chasing these issues while on meds isn't good, I'll say that again. As a carry over for Jagger, we tried reactine - didn't have any effect, but claritin helped alot. If you're going to try that route, make sure it's plain.
I just was given Bella's vet records and to my surprise - she has been on antibiotics 4 times this year (mostly for anal glands)!! WOW.. so sad that I allowed that to happen. Guess I should be more aware of what they are doing for her. Was hoping the vet would know whats best but am wondering if now her system is so out of whack from toxins and antibiotics. I have heard green tripe has natural "probiotics." Has anyone tried this? Given that she's having problems from the switches, do you do think this would be a positive or negative thing to include in her diet? I researched how to feed homemade raw and think I am going to try getting some stuff from the grocery store today for her.

I am just having a hard time understanding how much to feed of bone, how much to feed of meat, and how much of organ... Don't know how to distribute that throughout the week.

Kerri

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Tripe is awesome for digestion, it has a near perfect calcium to phosphorus ratio, and good fat content( Not the white kind in stores). You could certainly try, considering all the anti biotics have knocked her system out of whack. Maybe that will help some. Just FYI, if you are interested in starting raw, here is a good place to go, with a getting started guide and forums of all raw feeders. I may have given you this link before but I can't remember. Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

In short, you feed mostly meat, some bone and some organ. There really isn't a true set amount, as each dog is different. Some need more of something, some may need less. Individual to each dog.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you can't figure out the cause of her ailments you need to limit as many variables as you can and that doesn't mean homemade raw.

IMO that means feeding a veterinary kibble for at least a couple months to rule out food sources. Or a very bland homemade recipe (like cooked chicken, well cooked rice and low fat cream cheese - thats what we did when our pup was having food problems), and the same recipe every meal every day.

The benefit to kibble is they come pretty much all the same in every bag which allows you to control the number of variables. If she's still getting infections you should start looking at environmental causes.

Once you have a baseline then you start adding in tripe and bone or changing proteins one at a time but if you are constantly changing multiple variables you'll never be able to know what makes her better and what makes her worse. Basic scientific method.

It is not normal for a dog to constantly have infections like Bella is and is not good for her long term health. I know there is a temptation to try everything at once but if you do that it's actually so much harder to figure out the real cause.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I just was given Bella's vet records and to my surprise - she has been on antibiotics 4 times this year (mostly for anal glands)!!
What happens with some women after taking a course of antibiotics? Throws the system off, yeast infections. Same with some dogs...

Naturalfed has it right, if you're going to feed whole foods, follow what she posted. Tripe is wonderful.

Getting the raw organs into the dog is the hardest part. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, you can buy all the organs that you need, put them in a blender, break them down nicely, mix it all together and freeze them in soft silicon trays. Haven't met a dog yet that didn't like it this way. I tried the hard plastic trays, they don't work very well.

As for the anal glands, I'd personally try soaking her butt in warm water and epsom salts, really promotes healing. Have the dog sit in the tub or soak a rag. Polysporin would likely help as well...

The other option is a cooked trial. We did a food trial with the minpin on the advice of the vet, it really plumped up the stool, but not as hard as with raw feedings. Still need the raw bones. We ended up making soups with meats and organs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What happens with some women after taking a course of antibiotics? Throws the system off, yeast infections. Same with some dogs...

Naturalfed has it right, if you're going to feed whole foods, follow what she posted. Tripe is wonderful.

Getting the raw organs into the dog is the hardest part. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, you can buy all the organs that you need, put them in a blender, break them down nicely, mix it all together and freeze them in soft silicon trays. Haven't met a dog yet that didn't like it this way. I tried the hard plastic trays, they don't work very well.

As for the anal glands, I'd personally try soaking her butt in warm water and epsom salts, really promotes healing. Have the dog sit in the tub or soak a rag. Polysporin would likely help as well...

The other option is a cooked trial. We did a food trial with the minpin on the advice of the vet, it really plumped up the stool, but not as hard as with raw feedings. Still need the raw bones. We ended up making soups with meats and organs.
Yes you are right about antibiotics throwing the system of - Bella's system could be out of whack for a number of reasons. I am definitely going to be hesitant to give her any antibiotics unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I will try to give her green tripe from BCR, as I don't know how else to get it.

I will also try soaking her in epsom salts. As for a natural cleanser (as I think it would benefit her to have a bath each week because of the possibility of enviornmental allergies) any ideas? Don't want to buy commercial soap because it can be drying and irritating.
@jagger - when you say a "cooked" trial, what did this consist of? Do you mean like ground hamburger and rice (just an example). I'm assuming the bone I would feed aside from the cooked would be raw.

Thanks again :)
Kerri

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tripe is awesome for digestion, it has a near perfect calcium to phosphorus ratio, and good fat content( Not the white kind in stores). You could certainly try, considering all the anti biotics have knocked her system out of whack. Maybe that will help some. Just FYI, if you are interested in starting raw, here is a good place to go, with a getting started guide and forums of all raw feeders. I may have given you this link before but I can't remember. Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

In short, you feed mostly meat, some bone and some organ. There really isn't a true set amount, as each dog is different. Some need more of something, some may need less. Individual to each dog.
Thank you @naturalfeddogs,
I will try the tripe to see if that helps and keep everyone updated :) How long do you think it would take for the tripe to show improvements in Bella?

Thank you as well for sharing that link - I will check it out for sure and get informed better on raw feeding. :)

Kerri

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Yes you are right about antibiotics throwing the system of - Bella's system could be out of whack for a number of reasons. I am definitely going to be hesitant to give her any antibiotics unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I will try to give her green tripe from BCR, as I don't know how else to get it.

I will also try soaking her in epsom salts. As for a natural cleanser (as I think it would benefit her to have a bath each week because of the possibility of enviornmental allergies) any ideas? Don't want to buy commercial soap because it can be drying and irritating.

@jagger - when you say a "cooked" trial, what did this consist of? Do you mean like ground hamburger and rice (just an example). I'm assuming the bone I would feed aside from the cooked would be raw.

Thanks again :)
Kerri
If you're going to try cooked, any kind of meat chopped up is fine, but I'd try to keep the meats on the leaner side for now. Cooked fat isn't always good, think pancreatitis. If chicken or turkey, remove the skin. But you're still going to need to supplement with raw bones, preferably with raw fat on the bone or buy some raw pork or beef fat and give her cubes. Rice is fairly high in phosphorus and basically a filler, wouldn't feed it at the moment - think kidneys. I cooked the organs in the soup, threw in a bit of veg til cooked carrot or turnip - not that it really does anything for the dog, mostly a filler. When Jagger ate raw carrot or turnip, it would come out the way it went in - in chunks but cooked... I honestly didn't find the cooked diet made any difference from the raw diet - little bugger loved it - but the poop came out larger.

As for healing baths, we used a gentle tea tree base shampoo, lather the dog, let it sit for 5 minutes and rinse. Have a warm rinse water ready to go with epsom salts, soak the dog repeatedly then rinse. Then rinse again with warm water laced with coconut oil, don't rinse the coconut oil, just dry the dog. Sounds like alot of work, but I found it really helps heal up the skin. Some shampoos are terrible and harsh for dogs skin.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts