Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to comment on this other thread but it was closed (boy that was a strange thread).

Anyhow, the problem I see with feeding raw to a puppy is not bacteria but ensuring they get a balanced diet. Too many people feed and espouse feeding primarily chicken to their dogs. Too much bone, not enough variety and nutrients could spell disaster for your developing puppy.

My dogs aren't puppies but I feed them raw in fact I just packaged up a couple weeks for them tonight. Maybe 1/4 of what I included was chicken drumsticks. The rest was pork chops, pork ribs, boneless beef steaks (the package said ranch steak whatever that is), chicken gizzards, beef liver and beef sweetbreads.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Feeding raw to a puppy is no different than a grown dog, you just feed more. As in at least three times a day. All of mine were raw fed as puppies. I would love to get a puppy one day from a raw feeding breeder who weans directly onto raw.

When raw feeding, you just need to do some research, and understand what you are doing. Which means, understanding that one protein alone, regardless of which one it is, isn't enough. Majority of the time, raw feeding problems are user error, not the dog or the food. The one who is doing the feeding, and doing it incorrectly, whether puppy or adult.

·
Banned
283 Posts
We don't feed our dog raw food. We have been told by dog professionals that it isn't a good idea. Ours does get small pieces of plain cooked chicken breast as a treat or as a game where a few pieces are scattered/hidden and he has to find them. Mental stimulation.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We don't feed our dog raw food. We have been told by dog professionals that it isn't a good idea. Ours does get small pieces of plain cooked chicken breast as a treat or as a game where a few pieces are scattered/hidden and he has to find them. Mental stimulation.
FYI...kibble is artificial, processed food developed by man, soley out of conveince. Dogs haven't evolved over thousands of years, eating processed nuggets from a bag. Kibble has only been around for the last 75-100 years at the most. Dogs have been around and evolving for thousands, on their natural diet of raw meat/bones/organs. It's how their "plumbing" is designed. To be able to digest all this.

I'm pretty sure the "professionals" you mention are vets. They get little to no education on nutrition in school. What they do learn, comes from large kibble companies, banking on more profit. K9 "nutritionists" are the same, unless they are trained in holistic feeding.

When feeding raw correctly, they don't need treats for mental stimulation. They get it from their whole meals each time they eat.

Just some info as to why it IS a good idea.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "professionals" you mention are vets.
And I'm pretty sure your assumption is incorrect.

When feeding raw correctly, they don't need treats for mental stimulation. They get it from their whole meals each time they eat.
That feeds them. If that's what you want to feed them. Mental stimulation is a different thing.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
And I'm pretty sure your assumption is incorrect.

That feeds them. If that's what you want to feed them. Mental stimulation is a different thing.
If my assumtion is wrong, it's probabaly a breeder or trainer.Same difference.

How is the mental stimulation you are talking about different from what I'm talking about? One of the benefits from feeding prey model raw is mental stimulation. Not sure what you are talking about....

·
Banned
283 Posts
If my assumtion is wrong, it's probabaly a breeder or trainer.Same difference.
I note your opinion.

How is the mental stimulation you are talking about different from what I'm talking about? One of the benefits from feeding prey model raw is mental stimulation. Not sure what you are talking about....
Puting food on front of a dog at meal times, which what most of us dog owners would do, is hardly the same as requiring it to use its senses to work out where the tasty little morsels are. Don't you think that would be a bit more of a mental challenge?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Puting food on front of a dog at meal times, which what most of us dog owners would do, is hardly the same as requiring it to use its senses to work out where the tasty little morsels are. Don't you think that would be a bit more of a mental challenge?
I think the point is that it's more mentally taxing to eat meat off of bone than kibble out of a bowl.

Compare eating ribs or crab legs to eating a bowl of cereal. I know it's far more work to eat the two former than the latter.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I think the point is that it's more mentally taxing to eat meat off of bone than kibble out of a bowl.

Compare eating ribs or crab legs to eating a bowl of cereal. I know it's far more work to eat the two former than the latter.
Not disagreeing with that.
But my point is that if the dog is having to search out morsels in hidden locations rather than just chew what is in front of him he needs to exercise a bit of ingenuity.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I note your opinion.

No offense, but clearly you don't know about raw feeding. It's not just putting food in front of them. There is mental stimulation in chewing through a 1 pound chunk of beef, or a rack of pork ribs. TONS of chewing through bone, pulling meat off of bone, or even feeding an entire deer or elk rib cage that takes a couple of days to get through. A whole pig head.....You get the idea. Feeding prey model raw is all about mental stimulation. Even big boneless cuts like a beef heart.....TONS of chewing. That's what they do in the wild. Rip, tear and crunch. There is no more mental stimulation than that. I understand if raw isn't for you, but you would learn a lot more about it if you research it some.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
But my point is that if the dog is having to search out morsels in hidden locations rather than just chew what is in front of him he needs to exercise a bit of ingenuity.[/QUOTE

Searching out morsels is nothing compared to the stimulation of true, prey model raw.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
But my point is that if the dog is having to search out morsels in hidden locations rather than just chew what is in front of him he needs to exercise a bit of ingenuity.
There is a raw fed cadre that are here in a flash if you so much as whisper that you might not want to feed raw, so you were beaten before you started.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Does your dog have to prey to get them?
Small prey they have, chickens, rabbits, yes. Pig or cow heads are the biggest challenge, as it takes them a few days of work to get all the eyes and brains dug out. But as far as actually going after anything, yes I will occasionally let them get their own smaller prey.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I rarely post but I agree. Have you own/different opinion and prepare to be attacked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
There is a raw fed cadre that are here in a flash if you so much as whisper that you might not want to feed raw, so you were beaten before you started.
@ brnewman and @ Lucille, there are just as many kibble feeding people on this forum who jump on their own wagon.

Why do people keep starting these threads about RAW vs Kibble?? To each their own and if people can't take other peoples comments on what they agree with, then a better option may be to not contribute/start these threads and do some individual research where you won't get offended by differing opinions.

These threads get old right from the start.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I totally believe in most of what is said. I feed raw and kibble. I appreciate the passion eveyone shares. I just don't like the way it is presented, even when I agree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of this conversation. Yet I just wanted to add that Aayla grew up on mostly raw. She is a year now. So I can't say for the long run but still.

Her veterinarian says that she looks amazing and that she is a great example of a dog of her age in great health. Bone structure, blood work, coat, teeth are all extremely healthy.

I don't think people can just guess how to make up a balanced diet and throw some meat in a bowl, but its not impossible if you do your research.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts