Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is just a practical question: How do you store your raw meat for feeding?
I just got a small chest freezer dedicated to Bri's food and that's all nice, but how do you store the meat inside the freezer? I use zip lock bags, but have the feeling that I have to use sooo many of these (she is fed twice a day, maybe I should switch to once?) that I feel a bit guilty (not I am an environmentalist, but once in a while I start thinking.
On the other hand, I don't want to spend tons of money in Tupperware/plastic storage containers.

Any advise? Also, when switching to once a day meals, is there a slow transition or one day to the other?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A lot of the meat I buy is already prepackaged, so those I just keep in original package. Other wise, I use ziplocks. Plastic freezer container costs may add up a little at first, but cheaper in the long run. You can wash and reuse them so many times.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was using freezer bags for a while but then I thought of going to the dollar store to see what kind of containers they had. Pretty decent quality and it was 4 containers for $2!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had some dollar store ones too, and it didn't take long for them to start cracking, but the ones I had were storage containers though, not freezer ones. So be sure they are for freezing and maybe they will work better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess I have to head out to the dollar store then :)

Thanks guys!

Reactions: naturalfeddogs

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
I've had them over a year and have only had to throw out one or two. The plastic is rated for freezer use, so I think that helps cut down on them getting brittle when frozen and breaking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally, I would invest in the reusable containers, because it's just cheaper in the long run. You can always put two portions in one bigger container too and keep the other half in the fridge for the second meal. This way you aren't washing two containers a day. Less work for you and cheaper as well. lol Those containers with the two portion compartments would be perfect for this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts