Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! We will be getting a puppy in about 2 months and I was thinking of feeding it raw food. I just have a few questions regarding the safety of it...
Please tell me the answer (If you know it) And the science to back up what you are saying.

#1. Could the dog get salmonella?
#2. Could the dog get E Coli?
#3. Would it be okay to feed the dog meat that has been put in the freezer before the expiration date but past the expiration date while in the freezer?
#4. Is it sanitary if the dog licked you after eating raw meat?
#5. Can you use any raw meat from the store that has no seasonings on it?
#6. Any tips to keep it cheap?
#7. What bones and meats would be best to feed a puppy first? (We will be getting it at 6 weeks and it will have been on kibble before coming home.)
#8. Will it make their stool runny?
#9. Should I just completely stop feeding kibble and go to raw all in one day or should I do it over the course of a few weeks?
#10. How do I know how much to feed? And if I do mix it to transition how will I know how much of each to feed during the process?
#11. Since the puppy will be so young should I mix in puppy milk replacer for a little while and if so whats the best brand?
#12. At what age could I start giving harder bones?
#13. Is it safe to give them meat with freezer burn?
#14. Should I cook the meat?
#15. Any tips you have for anything regarding raw food? For example "I like to feed my dog in a Kong to exercise their brain!" Or "I like to grind the veggies and mix them with ground meat since my dog does not like veggies."

I do know they need organs, bones, meat, veggies, etc but these are just some questions that I would like answered! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello! We will be getting a puppy in about 2 months and I was thinking of feeding it raw food. I just have a few questions regarding the safety of it...
Please tell me the answer (If you know it) And the science to back up what you are saying.

#1. Could the dog get salmonella?
#2. Could the dog get E Coli?
#3. Would it be okay to feed the dog meat that has been put in the freezer before the expiration date but past the expiration date while in the freezer?
#4. Is it sanitary if the dog licked you after eating raw meat?
#5. Can you use any raw meat from the store that has no seasonings on it?
#6. Any tips to keep it cheap?
#7. What bones and meats would be best to feed a puppy first? (We will be getting it at 6 weeks and it will have been on kibble before coming home.)
#8. Will it make their stool runny?
#9. Should I just completely stop feeding kibble and go to raw all in one day or should I do it over the course of a few weeks?
#10. How do I know how much to feed? And if I do mix it to transition how will I know how much of each to feed during the process?
#11. Since the puppy will be so young should I mix in puppy milk replacer for a little while and if so whats the best brand?
#12. At what age could I start giving harder bones?
#13. Is it safe to give them meat with freezer burn?
#14. Should I cook the meat?
#15. Any tips you have for anything regarding raw food? For example "I like to feed my dog in a Kong to exercise their brain!" Or "I like to grind the veggies and mix them with ground meat since my dog does not like veggies."

I do know they need organs, bones, meat, veggies, etc but these are just some questions that I would like answered! Thank you so much!
My 2 cents: I would be concerned about toxoplasmosis. Some comment from MD:

"Toxoplasmosis is caused by the protozoan Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite can infect most mammals. Between 30 and 60 percent of all people worldwide are thought to be infected with toxoplasmosis. Infection occurs through the ingestion of oocysts found in raw meat, especially venison, pork, and lamb. Oocysts are killed by cooking or freezing meat for 24 hours. You can also acquire toxoplasmosis through infected feces.

So to avoid toxoplasmosis, freeze meat for 24 hours prior to feeding. And disinfect all surfaces and utensils after preparing raw food, whether it’s for the humans or pets in your family..."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts