Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this forum is already over-flowing with threads about raw food, but it's a bit difficult to tease through, especially with limited time. I've gotten a good sense of how to raw feed an adult dog, but what about an 8 week puppy fresh from a breeder? How does raw-feeding a little puppy differ?

1. Is additional prep work/processing required? If so, what and how?
  2. How do you know how much food to give? What's a good baseline?
  3. At what rate do you increase and change your feeding process?
  4. What additional information should I have on this topic?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Feed a puppy with the same protocol as an adult, only more. Feed at least three times a day. I haven't ever changed anything otherwise.

As they grow, and get close to around six months, mine always backed themselves off of how many times a day they ate.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Do you find they miss out on all the vitamins and minerals added to puppy food? Do you have a different ratio of bone to meat?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about raw-fed and training treats? I've seen suggestions for kibble fed dogs to use a portion of their food as training incentives. With raw-fed, that would be a bit harder... Does it do any harm to have a portion of their food be cooked meat fed during training? How about to replace a portion of their food with a boiled egg fed during training?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Do you find they miss out on all the vitamins and minerals added to puppy food? Do you have a different ratio of bone to meat?
There is everything a growing puppy needs in a PMR diet. Puppies don't need synthetic vitamins, which aren't bioavailable for the most part anyway.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
How about raw-fed and training treats? I've seen suggestions for kibble fed dogs to use a portion of their food as training incentives. With raw-fed, that would be a bit harder... Does it do any harm to have a portion of their food be cooked meat fed during training? How about to replace a portion of their food with a boiled egg fed during training?
I have to ask, why always treats? If your puppy eats 3 meals a day with nothing in between, then the bowels are going function on that level... If you're passing food through the puppies system all day, how can the puppy be expected to regulate properly?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have to ask, why always treats? If your puppy eats 3 meals a day with nothing in between, then the bowels are going function on that level... If you're passing food through the puppies system all day, how can the puppy be expected to regulate properly?
People tend to eat three meals a day and most snack regularly throughout as well and we still regulate just fine. It's the same for dogs to my knowledge. I've been so confused with the aversion to treats I've seen on here lately, it's just another tool to help people bond and train with their dogs, and one that works really well IMO.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
People tend to eat three meals a day and most snack regularly throughout as well and we still regulate just fine. It's the same for dogs to my knowledge. I've been so confused with the aversion to treats I've seen on here lately, it's just another tool to help people bond and train with their dogs, and one that works really well IMO.
So flooding your puppies' digestive system all day with food doesn't affect house breaking one bit?

·
Registered
439 Posts
So flooding your puppies' digestive system all day with food doesn't affect house breaking one bit?
No one is talking about flooding puppies with treats. But using treats, hell even using LOTS of treats, isn't going to make or break your housetraining and treats like it or not are a very effective and helpful way for novice or experienced dog owners to train their pets.

Either way, to the OP, I use boiled chicken bits for Bandit's treats, I make sure I give them to him in small bits but unless he was overweight I wouldn't worry about cutting down his meals to accommodate.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Now that I've switched to raw, I use freeze dried liver treats, but I break them down into tiny little pieces because I don't want to end up feeding her too much. My dogs can't tell the difference between a small treat and a big treat. To them a treat is a treat. It's also good to eventually wean your pups off treats so I won't treat her every time she does something, I'll alternate with praise. I'm starting to see her expecting a treat every time she does something good.

I've been fortunate enough I guess that my pup has only pooped 3-4 times a day while she was on kibble. Now that she's on raw she poops 2-3 times including treats in between for obedience training.

Pooping 7 times a day is quite a lot I will admit. I don't think that Mia at that age pooped that much lol

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Echo poops 6 times a day, 3 morning and evening, it's due to me taking her out every hour or so. If I go out during that time she goes only once instead of three times. I use a lot of treats usually in 2 bursts at variable times, even though the times of intake varies the egress does not.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Echo poops 6 times a day, 3 morning and evening, it's due to me taking her out every hour or so. If I go out during that time she goes only once instead of three times. I use a lot of treats usually in 2 bursts at variable times, even though the times of intake varies the egress does not.
I assume your dog isn't raw fed, because that would be an excessive amount of poop if they were. Even as a (older) puppy my dog went once a day and he spent a good portion of his day hanging outside with me. My dog rarely if ever poops on walks.

Adult dogs do not need to eat multiple times a day, once is fine, even fasting once or twice a week for raw fed dogs is fine. Intermittent treats throughout the day shouldn't be an issue, unless you are od'ing them on freeze dried liver, which can lead to multiple loose stools, been there done that. I would recommend dried lamb lung instead of liver.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No one is talking about flooding puppies with treats. But using treats, hell even using LOTS of treats, isn't going to make or break your housetraining and treats like it or not are a very effective and helpful way for novice or experienced dog owners to train their pets.

Either way, to the OP, I use boiled chicken bits for Bandit's treats, I make sure I give them to him in small bits but unless he was overweight I wouldn't worry about cutting down his meals to accommodate.
Thank you for actually answering the question and not going on a side-tangent of a different issue.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thank you for actually answering the question and not going on a side-tangent of a different issue.
No problem! I'm sorry to say that's become a bit of a theme lately. I'm hoping it changes soon.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They are getting all the vitamens and minerals they need, just as adults, and its provided in the best most natural form possible. Raw.I don't add any more in the way of bone meat ratio. In the beginning, they are getting a pretty bone heavy diet anyway.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Just in the beginning, during transition its Best not to give treats. This is the time you are mongering each protein, and seeing how the dog will handle each one. In this situation less is more.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Treats won't affect house training. Its up to the owner to be sure to get the dog/puppy to go outside after a short period of time after eating anything. Meal or treat. That's how they learn to let you know when they need to out regardless of how often they eat. You just have to keep a close eye on them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts