Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started feeding my puppy GSD only raw food (chicken carcases, necks, wings) and so far he seems to love it.

I am a little bit worried though that it might be dangerous for him at such a young age. I'm also worried that it might not contain all the nutrients he needs to grow properly.

What do you think?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
Sorry if I seem to ask a stupid question... I was just wondering why you would give your dog raw food, is it good for them, because this is the first time in my life I have heard of doing this. I must also say that I am fairly new to all of this. Although my parents have had dogs all my life.
Thanks

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Lots of people are switching to a more natural diet after all the dog food recalls that were poisoning pets... dogs are very capable of eating raw food and it actually helps to keep teeth healthy...also you know exactly what your dog is eating...no hidden fillers like wheat and corn :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you, Criosphynx, I just have one more question.... I have a 4 month old toy pom, is it a good idea to give him raw food now, or should I wait?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Thank you, Criosphynx, I just have one more question.... I have a 4 month old toy pom, is it a good idea to give him raw food now, or should I wait?

Alot of people will tout raw as a perfect diet...perhaps.. I wont be one of those people that say its easy and for everyone...though many raw feeders insist its easier than dog food:rolleyes:....research the living daylights out of it before you begin is my advice, and make sure its right for you. You have to balance meat/organs and figure out portions...not to mention buying/storing meat.

there is a "detox" period where the dog may vomit and personally I found it a bit disturbing, several of my dogs will not tollerate raw chicken and its hard to balance the diet without it IMO... so I now only use whole prey (rodents and birds )

anyway...the age of your dog is fine :) I would just make sure its right for you first, before you jump in on it. :) Does that help?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
does he still have his baby teeth at 12 weeks? I would be a little cautious about his possibly choking on a bone. do you have access to a meat grinder? I invested in one because I wanted to grind up turkey carcasses and I can freeze it more efficiently in a patty form.. also, if you google "puppy on raw food diet"; I found a husky kennel website that offered their feeding regime for puppies and adults. Providing a good vitamin/mineral supplement along with the food would be wise.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have always started my puppies on the raw food. But I have always had big breed puppies. It would be best to grind up or smash the the raw bones until they get their permanent teeth. And some small breed dog's digestion doesn't work with the raw diet. My daughter's Boston Terrier got Salmonella from the raw chicken. Her vet said some dogs,especially some small breed dogs digestion doesn't destroy the germs from raw meat. Sometimes dogs that have had immune problems can't eat raw either. I have never had any problems with the BARF diet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I forgot to say, I do supplement my fur kids with vitamins and minerals. I also give them Brewer"s yeast/garlic tabs. It helps against fleas and ticls. I use Nupro supplement usually once a week. I have used the BARF diet for 14 yrs. Most of my dogs that I have used this diet for has been German Shepherds. But I have been left with other dogs and started them on the diet too. I have never had any problems with them either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
raw food

It's been over a month since my puppy GSD Asgard has been eating raw food and all seems perfect.

I give him chicken backs, thighs, livers and hearts. I don't grind anything and don't give him any other supplements. He seems to have no problem chewing the thighs and bones.

His no 2 is normal but he doesn't do it more than twice a day which, to be honest, I'm happy about. Before when he ate kibble he used to poop a lot. I guess his stomach has an easier time digesting this food.

He's almost 15 weeks old now so yes, he still has his puppy teeth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a big believer in a combination of raw and the conventional dog kibbles for a healthy balance. Have a quick look at the diet I put my dogs on however they too are very large dogs. You have received some good advise there about moving a small dog to a natural diet. The single most important thing to remember is if you are making a change to your dogs diet please do it very slowly and subtly so the dog hardly notices the difference. Introduce new things slowly so you are giving their systems a chance to adapt to the change. And here is the page on my website just so you can see what sort of diets other people choose to put their dogs on and its called dog supplements.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You will have less waste (poo) to clean up with the raw diet. And the waste is easier to pick up too. And it isn't as stinky as waste from kibble. There won't be bad breath or bad teeth either. And less vet bills.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
It's been over a month since my puppy GSD Asgard has been eating raw food and all seems perfect.
Great news!! No matter the diet chosen, it's all about the animal thriving on it. Sounds like you choose what works for you pup :)

K9 has a good point mixing with kibbles (though there needs to be time between feeding raw and feeding kibble from what I hear) is an easy way to balance :) You can also see your vet for supplements.

On a full on raw diet, I believe you have to balance how much meat vs. offal (organs and stuff) vs. bones to be right. I'm sure your reading lots of raw though, and know that :)
I'm not sure if I said this or not, but if your doing completely homemade-make sure you balancing for all nutrients!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts