Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone .

I am starting this thread to get informed and not to start feud with anyone :D

i'd simply like to hear from people who have switched their dogs to raw diet, how and why , and where there benefits to it or down side , good experience or bad ones.

It seems that lately , a lot of people are switching to raw diet, and i've seen a lot of people doing it just because everyone else is doing it ( which bothers me a lot :( ) I'm not saying raw diet is bad, but I like to get inform , and I mean very well inform, before I make my decisions on all sorts of things, I am not the type of person who will follow a trend just because everyone is doing it but rather because it is the right thing to do for me or my pups^^

anyways, what is everyone's thoughts on the matter ? have you switched your dogs to raw diets and why ? do they do better on raw or kibbles ?

thanks everyone :D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have fed raw for the last ten years or so now, because dogs didn't evolve to eat man made, processed, over cooked nuggets in a bag, full of artificial ingredients. Dogs have been around for thousands of years as carinvores eating meat/bones/organs. Its their natural diet, as they were intended.

Man made kibble around 60 years ago, out of convenience.

My dogs overall health has improved in the way of teeth, coat, skin, muscle tone, poops, energy and no vet visits. A species appropriate diet just makes total sense. It just takes time and dedication to learn how, and stick with it. Much different than just scooping nuggets out of a bag!

And its not a "new trend" when its been around for thousands of years already. People are just starting to see it, and figure it out now during the last number of years.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've been raw feeding for close to 13 years now. I switched my first dog after much research and endless fighting trying to get him to eat. I've never looked back and will never feed kibble again. I've also switched my cats and ferrets over. Anyone who has ferrets know about the ferret smell, with raw feeding they don't have that odor. Oh course they still have a musky smell, but it's nothing compared to kibble fed ferrets.
I've seen allergies go away, little to no doggy odor, smaller stools, less shedding, shinier coat and a host of other things. Just better health over all.
Rawfeddogs covered it pretty well. Dogs have the short GI system of a carnivore. They are designed to eat and digest meat, bones and organs. Kibble was made out of left over bits of grains and other things that would have been wasted otherwise. It was done for the convenience of people. Raw feeding is not a new trend, but it's becoming more common in the US, in other countries it's more widely accepted.
Raw feeding is very easy once you get the hang of it. You feed mostly meat with a little bone and organs. I don't feed organs daily, some people do. The dogs love their food and I enjoy watching them eat. I pull out food in the morning and feed in the afternoon. If it's hot out I'll feed frozen food, and organs are often fed frozen.
Anyway, sorry I tend to ramble. I highly recommend raw feeding, I've seen it help with a variety of issues. Today a woman at the flea market was drooling over Freyja but said she is allergic to dogs. I told her many people who are allergic to dogs don't have problems with raw fed dogs. So she pet her and said that if she would have a reaction it would be nearly immediate. 15 minutes later we were still talking and she had 0 reaction to Freyja. She was very excited saying she loves dogs and always wanted a dane. I've also seen people who were allergic to cats have little to no reaction with my cats.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
3 previous dogs mostly all kibble. Current dog all raw. If I were to have another dog down the road, it will be fed raw.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Been feeding raw for 8 years. Switched after that massive kibble recall in 2008. My dogs all do much better. Allergy improvements, great dental health, great coat condition. Wouldn't feed anything else at this point. My oldest is 14 and she can still hike 3 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been feeding raw, started with BARF diet..........for 18 years and weaned litters of puppies on it and all the dogs I have had in the past 18 years. Everything the folks above have said I could repeat word for word, but no need to repeat.
I am a TOTAL believer in it for the health of my dogs and could never go back to the over processed, over cooked fake food of kibble.
Other than I guess some convenience for the owner I see not one good thing about kibble..........especially for the dogs sake.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
So I'll be the odd person out, I don't feed raw and never will. I do feed a quality kibble from a company I trust, with a mix of dehydrated processed dog food, and occasionally cooked human food.

My thing regarding raw, that I cannot and will not overcome, is the possibility of bacteria contamination. I have an immune compromised person living in my household so I need to worry about her health as well as what to feed the dog.

Feeding raw to your dog is very different then just cutting a raw chicken on a counter to cook. That bacteria can survive on surfaces that are not disinfected properly, so the mat you feed you dog on, the floor (don't know about most, but I'm not in the habit of washing my floors 2-3 times a day), or the grass outside. Bacteria, like salmonella, can also be shed through your pet's digestive systems and cause contamination via fecal matter hitting the dirt.

There are plenty of companies that provide a quality, premium kibble that is properly formulated for healthy dogs and there are also an amazingly large number of resources for people who wish to cook for their pets. So I don't feel raw is a requirement.

Raw is definitely a life style choice and I don't judge those that do feed it, as I hope people who feed raw wouldn't judge those who don't. I just don't think it's the absolute when it comes to dog nutrition and, even IF it was the best for the dog, is it really the best for us humans? Salmonella can kill a human, so can e.coli, so while your dog may be unaffected, your loved ones may not be. Definitely something to consider if wanting to feed raw when you have children, immunocompromised adults, or seniors in your home.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We've been feeding raw for 8 years, started because our GSD had bad skin allergy problems. We wanted more control over what she was eating. Raw diet did not take care of her allergy symptoms (derm vet and desensitization shots did), but we liked the results (better teeth, softer coats, less poop, more energy) so we stayed with it. Our Westie (recently passed away, he was almost 15) used to stink all the time, regardless of how often we bathed or brushed him, the smell went away a few weeks after we switched him to raw. We will never go back to kibbles.

When we got our Malinois puppy 2 years ago, we initially wanted to put her on a good quality kibble for the first year, but too many of them have had recalls in the past, we eventually decided to put her on raw as well.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I would be feeding raw except I'm training my dog to be a therapy dog and they do not allow raw fed dogs to be certified. While I haven't done it and I can't validate the benefits, it makes good sense to me. I think of it as a person who eats a very 'clean' diet. These people won't eat anything in a box. They eat food as close to it's natural, unprocessed state as possible. Of course, we cook our meat though ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Feeding raw is a choice, and hardly new. I feed kibble along with cooked foods.
I think the OP could have easily seen that it is not a new choice, or a new trend, by doing even the most rudimentary of internet searches.
I believe the OP should brush up on search and research skills, as I do not know that an informal set of replies here will give him/her the information needed to make a responsible choice.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
So I'll be the odd person out, I don't feed raw and never will. I do feed a quality kibble from a company I trust, with a mix of dehydrated processed dog food, and occasionally cooked human food.

My thing regarding raw, that I cannot and will not overcome, is the possibility of bacteria contamination. I have an immune compromised person living in my household so I need to worry about her health as well as what to feed the dog.

Feeding raw to your dog is very different then just cutting a raw chicken on a counter to cook. That bacteria can survive on surfaces that are not disinfected properly, so the mat you feed you dog on, the floor (don't know about most, but I'm not in the habit of washing my floors 2-3 times a day), or the grass outside. Bacteria, like salmonella, can also be shed through your pet's digestive systems and cause contamination via fecal matter hitting the dirt.

There are plenty of companies that provide a quality, premium kibble that is properly formulated for healthy dogs and there are also an amazingly large number of resources for people who wish to cook for their pets. So I don't feel raw is a requirement.

Raw is definitely a life style choice and I don't judge those that do feed it, as I hope people who feed raw wouldn't judge those who don't. I just don't think it's the absolute when it comes to dog nutrition and, even IF it was the best for the dog, is it really the best for us humans? Salmonella can kill a human, so can e.coli, so while your dog may be unaffected, your loved ones may not be. Definitely something to consider if wanting to feed raw when you have children, immunocompromised adults, or seniors in your home.
Just be aware, salmonella and ecoli are both commonly in kibble as well...I don't want you to think kibble is "safe" compared to raw because it's not. It's really a false sense of security on that. Not judging at all, kibble is fine if that's for you. Just do know, it's a bacteria carrier as well, the ones as raw.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I am an immune compromised person, as is my BF. No issues here, just use common sense. Also there are also risk of bacterial contamination feeding kibble. There have been recalls due to things like salmonella and e. coli. Don't think that because you are feeding a dry food that it can't have bacteria on it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The fact that it is dry does decrease the chance of an infectious bacteria load though. Not a good environment for them. Having butcher you can trust to follow food safety guidelines would help reduce the chance of bacteria load, also following food safety guideline during preparation and feeding.

Having an immunosuppressed child is a bit different to having immunosuppressed adults around. Kids just don't tend to follow precautions well and are more likely to come into contact with something if it is around.

Having just thrown away an entire bag of kibble due to poor quality I can definitely see why people feed raw. I'm not in a situation where it is practical so I don't.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
All the points above are good so I won't repeat them. My dogs are currently on kibble, simply because of a space issue right now. We move into our new house in two weeks, and I will be switching them back to raw.
The benefits are simply too good to not feed them raw. No gross dog breath, no nasty poops, soft coats, bright eyes, white teeth, high energy, amazing.
It is definitely not new. For as long as there have been dogs, they have been getting scraps of meat that people didn't want or couldn't eat.

I will say, as far as the bacterial contamination, for me it's no different than preparing my own food. I use cutting boards, and clean the area afterwards. My dogs eat in the kitchen, and when they're done I clean their bowls (metal to reduce biofilms), and I clean the floor.

Neither my dogs nor my husband/me have ever been sick due to handling raw food.

Reactions: annageckos

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The fact that it is dry does decrease the chance of an infectious bacteria load though. Not a good environment for them. Having butcher you can trust to follow food safety guidelines would help reduce the chance of bacteria load, also following food safety guideline during preparation and feeding.

Having an immunosuppressed child is a bit different to having immunosuppressed adults around. Kids just don't tend to follow precautions well and are more likely to come into contact with something if it is around.

Having just thrown away an entire bag of kibble due to poor quality I can definitely see why people feed raw. I'm not in a situation where it is practical so I don't.
Being dry really has nothing to do with it. Part of the false sense of security. Read these links. (If they work).

Let’s Get the Facts Straight FDA And this one...foodsafteynews.com

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Being dry really has nothing to do with it. Part of the false sense of security. Read these links. (If they work).

Let’s Get the Facts Straight FDA And this one...foodsafteynews.com

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
I have an immune compromised person living in my household so I need to worry about her health as well as what to feed the dog.
Even though I am an advocate of a raw diet for my dog, I certainly respect your reason for sticking with kibble. It only makes sense in your situation and
the greater good is served.

I think you bring a good point to the pros and cons of feeding a raw diet to a dog. The sanitary conditions which need to prevail if one chooses a raw diet are very important, not so much for the dog but as you have cited accurately, for the human.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Even though I am an advocate of a raw diet for my dog, I certainly respect your reason for sticking with kibble. It only makes sense in your situation and
the greater good is served.

I think you bring a good point to the pros and cons of feeding a raw diet to a dog. The sanitary conditions which need to prevail if one chooses a raw diet are very important, not so much for the dog but as you have cited accurately, for the human.
Read the links posted above....Kibble isn't sanitary.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Read the links posted above....Kibble isn't sanitary.
I appreciate what you and your links are trying to state however: I am suggesting, the likelihood of cross contamination is greater from the preparation and use of a raw diet. I use numerous more utensils and cutting surfaces than I would if I fed kibble. It's NOT so much the actual food itself, it's just the simple fact that there is a higher risk of exposure due to the process of preparing a raw diet versus kibble hence my emphasis on proper sanitary practices when preparing batches of a dog's raw diet.

When one feeds kibble, they use a bowl and maybe a measuring cup. When one feeds raw ( home-made ) they use knives, cutting boards, containers, various utensils, kitchen appliances and perhaps storage in a freezer or fridge where cross contamination can occur. Proper sanitation is generally more involved when making raw as there are more items which need to be dealt with adequately.

One other thought, your links and information provided, speak to the actual #'s of recalls based on salmonella being present in dog foods requiring a recall. The information I would be more interested to view and one has to keep in mind are the %'s. The use of kibble greatly outweighs the use of raw by many times therefore one has to view the #'s provided in your links with that in mind. If the use of raw equaled the use of kibble, your links would have much more veracity to them. Maybe this info is included in the links you sent??

1 - 20 of 86 Posts