Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of you should know im moving back to the uk (not coping too well lately) but i am so confused with this company Paelo ridge raw it mentions on the site that Jessie would need half of the amount she gets now and that their raw food is for working dogs but is also good for non working dogs?

Isnt all raw the same? how is prey model raw food only designed for working dogs? I contacted the company to explain my dog is moving to Uk with me and the location and to ask what meats will be in stock(to get idea) in April and due to intellectual disabilites dont have the same understanding that im currently feeding pre made prey model raw would she be able to help me figure out the 80 10 10 ratio for Jessie who eats 150gm-200gm a day? got a very short response saying that wont be a problem.

I emailed back with a question and haven't heard anything back? i did say how is the raw you sell designed for working dogs only isn't all raw the same? i am most perplexed.

About us - Paleo Ridge Raw

Even though im having a few issues with Jessies food company atm they always answer my questions and concern promptly so unused to very short repsonses without reply back after asking another question.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm no expert but I would've thought raw was all the same and you just feed based on the dogs weight. Working dogs would get a little more seeing as they are so active but it's not like PMR is only for working dogs, plenty of pets get fed PMR.

Others will probably be more help than me, I only feed raw bones and treats atm.

Reactions: crazy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Labelling a dog food as 'for working dogs' in the UK means its exempt from VAT. So that's probably why they state their food is for working dogs

From Government site 'If a specially formulated food is held out for sale exclusively for working dogs it will come within the scope of the VAT relief – unless it is biscuit or meal.'

I don't know why they would recommend you feed half the amount you do now, that seems wrong and I'd be asking for clarification as to why they think that.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Sounds like Cranberrysmom has the "for working dogs" part covered. There really should be no different, so I figured it must be political somehow. Raw is raw for any dog, working or not, any age.

As for the amount, I checked out the feeding chart they have and it all looks mathematically correct. They are going by the 2-3% of body weight guideline, which is typical for raw feeding. If Jess eats 150-200g a day, then according to the chart, that's ideal for a dog between 5 and 10kg. How much does Jessie weigh?

You just have to remember that sometimes dogs need more or less than "recommended" depending on their energy level. My Tigger eats double what he "should" eat according to that chart.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm no expert but I would've thought raw was all the same and you just feed based on the dogs weight. Working dogs would get a little more seeing as they are so active but it's not like PMR is only for working dogs, plenty of pets get fed PMR.

Others will probably be more help than me, I only feed raw bones and treats atm.
Thats what i thought too!
Labelling a dog food as 'for working dogs' in the UK means its exempt from VAT. So that's probably why they state their food is for working dogs

From Government site 'If a specially formulated food is held out for sale exclusively for working dogs it will come within the scope of the VAT relief – unless it is biscuit or meal.'

I don't know why they would recommend you feed half the amount you do now, that seems wrong and I'd be asking for clarification as to why they think that.
Ah ok does that mean free from tax? i saw it on the chart on thier site thought seem a little strange.
Sounds like Cranberrysmom has the "for working dogs" part covered. There really should be no different, so I figured it must be political somehow. Raw is raw for any dog, working or not, any age.

As for the amount, I checked out the feeding chart they have and it all looks mathematically correct. They are going by the 2-3% of body weight guideline, which is typical for raw feeding. If Jess eats 150-200g a day, then according to the chart, that's ideal for a dog between 5 and 10kg. How much does Jessie weigh?

You just have to remember that sometimes dogs need more or less than "recommended" depending on their energy level. My Tigger eats double what he "should" eat according to that chart.
Glad raw is raw for any dog like i thought! Jessie was 5.7kg went to 6kg with coconut oil and atm currently 5.9kg although feeding her 150gm atm. normally she is 5.7kg. i want to get her to 5.7kg again.

Lol at tigger eating double that on the chart but arent bordercollie working dogs? plus he is young right? so thats no surprise. i got a bit concerned minumum amount i was thinking really? blimey Jessie would lose weight on 125gm a day and prob go underweight! dont think i can lower her food intake any less then 150gm without starving her?

Walking her 20 min a day mostly so does she just need more off leash time? btw curious what does tigger weigh and how much does he eat a day out of intrest?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts