Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

So I've decided to switch Mia (my 4.5 month pit bull puppy) to a raw diet but she's just finishing some antibiotics for a UTI, and has to start another set of antibiotics for a week for an incision on her leg (she had to get a lump out of her leg). She was able to lick it today even with her cone on so now its little red :(

My dumb question is....is it ok if I start her on raw tmw when I start her new antibiotics? I didn't bother asking the vet because the last time i brought it up he said "oh no no no raw diet is dangerous don't do it" :rolleyes:

I only have a few days left worth of kibble, I don't really want to buy a brand new bag.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, you can, but you might find your pup will get an upset tummy with the new diet, so stick with one protein (chicken) and high bone content. The antibiotics will kill off both good and bad bacteria, so I would also give her some probiotics between doses. I would recommend a soil-based probiotic rather than dairy, one that many, raw-feeders is Primal Defense by Garden of Life.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can, but you might find your pup will get an upset tummy with the new diet, so stick with one protein (chicken) and high bone content. The antibiotics will kill off both good and bad bacteria, so I would also give her some probiotics between doses. I would recommend a soil-based probiotic rather than dairy, one that many, raw-feeders is Primal Defense by Garden of Life.
Ohhhhh ok! Where can I usually find that kind of probiotic?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts