Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad caught some red fish earlier - before he cooks it, I want to give my dogs the bones. He thinks this is a bad idea. Has anyone had any problems with feeding raw fish bones or raw bones in general? Is the risk of giving it to them just this one time worth the benefit? Or is there no risk at all?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Fish bones are fine to feed. They are smaller than others, but they will still crunch them up just as they would any other raw edible bones. They will digest, and yes there is nutrition in bones. I don't ever feed fish, because I don't have accsess to quality oily types. When it comes to fish, that is really main benefit as to why it is fed, for the oil. Only certain ones have that though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fish bones are fine to feed. They are smaller than others, but they will still crunch them up just as they would any other raw edible bones. They will digest, and yes there is nutrition in bones. I don't ever feed fish, because I don't have accsess to quality oily types. When it comes to fish, that is really main benefit as to why it is fed, for the oil. Only certain ones have that though.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just don't cook them and you'll be fine. They're soft while they're raw, so they won't do any damage to their tummy. Chicken bones are fine too as long as they are raw. The cooking process makes them hard and more likely to splinter which is what you don't want.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with the messages above! I have fed my puppy raw mackerel, and he loved it! No choking on the bones. Just make sure the dog does chew, and does not try to swallow the fish whole. If you think he might do that, maybe cut the fish in smaller pieces. Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Raw fish bones are fine to feed. I would supervise, however - especially if your dog has never had a raw meal or snack before. Raw bones in general are fine to feed, as long as they're an appropriate size for your dog (chicken wings are usually not the best idea for Great Danes, for example). Stay away from weight-bearing bones from larger animals, no matter the size of your dog - they can wreck teeth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts