Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading conflicting accounts on whether or not to strip the skin off of raw chicken before feeding it to my dogs. Can anyone help with information on whether or not chicken skin is OK for dogs to eat?

·
Registered
893 Posts
If you are transitioning them to raw as a new diet, then I would suggest removing the skin off the chicken. It can cause cannon butt to new raw eaters. After about a week with firm stools, leave a tiny piece of skin on and wait another bit. Slowly leave more of the skin on until their digestive system can handle it, then just leave all the skin on from then onwards.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The skin is fatty and has a tendency sometimes to cause digestive issues with dogs new to raw. Try it on first, and if there seem to be some loose poops coming on, start removing skin/fat for a few feedings. Then once poops are backs to normal, slowly start adding it back on. The skin is actually needed, since it is fatty, and dogs energy on raw comes from fat. You just have to go slow with it sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! My dogs have been eating raw for about six months now. I was amazed at how their poops decreased in volume and tend to disintegrate and blow away. Pickup used to be a daily endeavor, but now occasional cleanup is plenty. Everyone seems to be doing great with raw so far.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Mine eat chicken with the skin without any issues. As mentioned above, it can cause diarrhea in a new raw dog because their systems aren't used to the fat. But once adjusted it's not something I even think about.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks for the input! My dogs have been eating raw for about six months now. I was amazed at how their poops decreased in volume and tend to disintegrate and blow away. Pickup used to be a daily endeavor, but now occasional cleanup is plenty. Everyone seems to be doing great with raw so far.
If they have been on raw for six months, then yes, I would keep the skin on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts