Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly feel silly coming to you guys with this problem but here it goes:

So after about a year of trying to get Riley to lose weight I’ve decided to take the plunge and start feeding raw. My trainer had suggested that the kibble I was feeding him was too starchy and I think she was right. I figured instead of trying to dance around looking for the right kibble, raw would be the easiest solution. I have tried gradually switching him to better brands like Orijen, and it resulted in immediate diarrhea (long hair + liquid poop = not fun).

Anyway, I’ve been feeding prey-model raw for about 3 weeks now and in terms of health, he’s doing great – he’s already slimming down, his teeth are cleaner, no dry skin, normal stool etc. However, my biggest problem is to get him to actually eat it.

As the title suggests, Riley’s a bit of a princess. He will only eat the meat if it’s cut up into bite-sized pieces and now refuses to eat the bones (I’ve been giving him chicken wings, feet and drumsticks). In the beginning everything was great, while I would still have to cut up the meat, he’d happily eat the bones by himself. Now it seems that the novelty has worn off and he no longer wants to go through the trouble of chewing his food *sigh*. And by not wanting to chew I mean, he will bite down, crunch for a bit then spit it out when a piece doesn’t break off, and walk away. He also does not want to let the meat/bone touch his paws. I’ve literally had to hold a chicken foot for him so he’d eat it. Do I spoil this dog or what? :rolleyes: I’m also fairly certain it’s not a dental issue because when he’s ready he’ll spend hours chewing on his antler or cow hoof.

Now Riley’s always been a grazer and was previously free-fed (still portioned, just left out for him to eat at his convenience), but I can’t do that anymore. Ideally, I’d like to feed him outside but even inside I don’t like the idea of raw meat just lying on the floor. I’ve tried taking it away and giving it back later with inconsistent success. It’s just kinda frustrating because he’s doing so well on raw but he just won’t eat it :(

The one thing is that I have yet to intro a new protein source. I wanted to use turkey but I can’t find it anywhere, so next grocery trip I was thinking about buying duck or quail. Maybe that will help?

So what do you guys think? Do you have any tips on getting him to eat? If I were to leave out the meat, how long would be safe?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'll probably have to do that if there are no other alternatives. Ideally, I would like him to eat the bones whole for dental benefits though.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Leave it down for 15 mins. If he's actively working on it you can leave it longer but if he walks away from it. Then it goes in the fridge until next meal.

No treats and no other food until he finishes that meal first.

I know it sounds harsh but a healthy dog won't starce itself and once he realizes that the open bar feeding no longer exists he'll catch onto eating right away.

Manna's a super princess as well but she rarely goes more than 2 meals without eating something.

The first few times she did hold out for 3 days though. But vet said she was healthy.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense, I'll give it a try. I do feel bad when I think about the fact he hasn't eaten while I'm eating, but I'll do my best to suck it up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with such a picky dog :p

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
There's a few tricks.

Tough Love - Basically as Flaming described. Either eat or go hungry.

Try frozen meat.

You can try gradually giving him larger pieces. If he likes them cut up, then just stick with that for a while, but start giving bigger and bigger pieces. Chicken wings are fairly easy to cut up with kitchen sheers.

For introducing novel meats or organs that he may think are yucky, it often helps to grind it down or cut into very small pieces, and then mix a tiny bit with a meat he DOES like and eats eagerly. It gets him the taste and smell and associates it with stuff he already views as food, so eventually he'll start accepting that the new stuff is food too. You can gradually increase the amount and make chunks bigger. But the idea is to start with it so mixed he doesn't really get the choice to pick it out.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So today went well! Tough love seems to be working.
@TiggerBounce I took your advice and cut up the meat/bone into smaller pieces. He ate it all no problem! That was at like 6:30 am before I left for work. Tonight I fed him around 7, this time I tried giving him a bigger chunk, bone-in, that he'd have to work with to eat (along with some smaller pieces). He ate it again, no problem.

I've already introduced liver into his diet and he eats it no problem as long as the pieces are bite-sized. I plan to intro a new meat source over the weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed it goes well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.