Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Gentlepeople, please pardon my manners, but the time has come to address something very important in this prey feeding model: my dogs are beginning to fart quite a bit, after 2-3 weeks of eating raw meat.

Every dog does, occasionally, of course, but this is getting to be a bit much.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Eklutna

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Only time ours gets flatulence is when he has gastric issues, but he's hypothyroid and that's part and parcel.

How has the dogs poop been? It should be small and hard.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dear Gentlepeople, please pardon my manners, but the time has come to address something very important in this prey feeding model: my dogs are beginning to fart quite a bit, after 2-3 weeks of eating raw meat.

Every dog does, occasionally, of course, but this is getting to be a bit much.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Eklutna
I have the same question, I haven't seen it talked about before.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just as I'm reading this my sleeping puppy just pulled a silent fart.....ugh so deadly!!!!! She just switched to raw last week.

Just did a quick search on the Internet and found a couple of articles listing possible causes for flatulence (in general, not necessarily from a raw diet):

1. Poor quality dog food (which isn't the case here)
2. Lack of exercise or aging
3. Feeding foods that cause flatulence like beans, cauliflower, broccoli etc
4. Eating too fast
5. Lack of enzymes
6. Food allergies

I don't know how credible these sources are but here are the links:

Dog Flatulence - Serious Issue or Just Plain Stinky?

Dog Gas: What Causes Doggy Flatulence … and What Can You do About It?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
After 2 to 3 weeks, how many proteins have you gone through? And have you started in on organs yet? Are you feeding anything else?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I have to say, I never notice any farting when my dogs are eating raw food, so I'm intrigued.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to say I haven't noticed it for a day or two, so perhaps the flatulence is leveling off. Still, it does worry me, for the same reason that I am concerned about giving the meat I find in the supermarket to my family. I wish I could afford to feed both my family and my dogs organic, free-range, grassfed meat, but I just can't. So it does worry me, and the flatulence causes me to wonder if there is something in the meats they are getting. But after all, commercial dog food can't be any better, even the so-called "premium" kind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have started feeding my 2 raw meat but not noticed any extra wind, because ours are small breeds we do cut the meat up so maybe they are swallowing less air :S or maybe it could just be their digestive system getting used to the change? How are they now?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have started feeding my 2 raw meat but not noticed any extra wind, because ours are small breeds we do cut the meat up so maybe they are swallowing less air :S or maybe it could just be their digestive system getting used to the change? How are they now?
I've never thought of that before but gulping air could be the culprit for mine. I have two dogs but only one has the gas issue. We used to feed ground raw( I didn't notice the gas at all) but have recently switched to chunk pieces and parts which,Primo, finishes way fast! I try to get him to slow down even feeding things frozen doesn't do much :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aww, yes mine are like little gremlins, they just gobble everything super quick and sometimes they end up being sick because of it so we have started cutting up the meat into little pieces lol :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
The flatulence could be an indication of gut dysbiosis, and given the health issues you have with your dog, that wouldn't be a surprise. If it is improving then it means the gut microbiome is improving.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have to say I haven't noticed it for a day or two, so perhaps the flatulence is leveling off. Still, it does worry me, for the same reason that I am concerned about giving the meat I find in the supermarket to my family. I wish I could afford to feed both my family and my dogs organic, free-range, grassfed meat, but I just can't. So it does worry me, and the flatulence causes me to wonder if there is something in the meats they are getting. But after all, commercial dog food can't be any better, even the so-called "premium" kind.
I don't know what kind of raw you are giving, but there is a company called "Big Country Raw" and it is based out of Niagara Falls, ON. The meat is antibiotic and hormone free, grass fed, free range, etc. All the best. I started raw food by feeding big cuts but after my dog almost choked on a bone, it frightened me and I gave up on raw food until I found this company. The meat, bones and organ are all ground into one so its safe for dogs to chew. It made me feel more comfortable in feeding her raw and she has been doing good on it. She has had some flatulence, but nothing concerning. He stools are better than ever (small and hard). If you are interested in Big Country Raw, here is there website Big Country Raw | Food For Dogs. I am by no means trying to sell this but have just had good luck (FINALLY) with this raw food. You name the kibble - we've tried it with no avail.

I think Big Country Raw is worth a try because its affordable (depending on which formula you pick) and its good meat thats included.

Hope this helps!
Kerri

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know what kind of raw you are giving, but there is a company called "Big Country Raw" and it is based out of Niagara Falls, ON. The meat is antibiotic and hormone free, grass fed, free range, etc. All the best. I started raw food by feeding big cuts but after my dog almost choked on a bone, it frightened me and I gave up on raw food until I found this company. The meat, bones and organ are all ground into one so its safe for dogs to chew. It made me feel more comfortable in feeding her raw and she has been doing good on it. She has had some flatulence, but nothing concerning. He stools are better than ever (small and hard). If you are interested in Big Country Raw, here is there website Big Country Raw | Food For Dogs. I am by no means trying to sell this but have just had good luck (FINALLY) with this raw food. You name the kibble - we've tried it with no avail.

I think Big Country Raw is worth a try because its affordable (depending on which formula you pick) and its good meat thats included.

Hope this helps!
Kerri

Wow! Will check this out....hope it isn't too expensive.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow! Will check this out....hope it isn't too expensive.
It shouldn't be too expensive! Depending on how big your pup is! Also, it really depends on which formula you buy - you can get pure formulas which is strictly one protein (best if you are testing allergies) and you can get dinners with a variety. Even if you bought the chicken formula (assuming your dog doesn't have a chicken allergy) it is $2.89 I think a pound but I have a 53lb dog who eats a pound a day.. so in my opinion, $2.89/day to feed my dog organic meat, is worth it!! :)

Please let me know if if you try it and how you find it. I think its been great for us thus far!

Kerr

·
Registered
198 Posts
Keep in mind, without whole bone to chew you will be losing all the dental benefits that come with it.

@naturalfeddogs, thank you for reminding me about that! I forgot to mention that it my post - I still give my dog bones to chew on for dental purposes. Just not at every meal time! I too think a dog must have the opportunity to chew!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yes, but would you lose them even if the bone is ground into the food?
By the way, the web site for Big Country is way glitchy. We're going to call them.

And.....having called them, they are in Canada and cannot ship to the States. Oh well, it would have been nice. Sounds like a Mom and Pop operation....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts