Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about switching to a raw diet. Approx how much would i feed in pounds per day for say a 75lb lab? Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
My 75 pound Old English Sheep Dog eats 2pounds a day. But it'll vary depending on energy level and individual

·
Registered
917 Posts
My 75lb GSD ate about a pound a day. My 110+ dane is eating about 1 1/2 - 2lbs a day. I'd start with 2% of your dog's ideal body weight and go up or down from there. It varies by dog, activity level and metabolism.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Im thinking about switching to a raw diet. Approx how much would i feed in pounds per day for say a 75lb lab? Thanks
This is how to figure it out.
The rule of thumb for healthy adult dogs is 2-3% of their optimal body weight. If they are overweight, aim for the DESIRED weight, not their current weight. Same for an underweight dog, take their desired weight to figure your starting amount for each meal.

Take your dog's weight (or desired weight) and multiply x 16.
This will give you your dog's weight in ounces.
Multiply his weight in ounces x .02 (or .03 for 3 %)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
This is how to figure it out.
The rule of thumb for healthy adult dogs is 2-3% of their optimal body weight. If they are overweight, aim for the DESIRED weight, not their current weight. Same for an underweight dog, take their desired weight to figure your starting amount for each meal.

Take your dog's weight (or desired weight) and multiply x 16.
This will give you your dog's weight in ounces.
Multiply his weight in ounces x .02 (or .03 for 3 %)
so if going to go by grams how would i calculate that?

·
Registered
917 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
so if going to go by grams how would i calculate that?
Get your dog's weight in grams and times it by 0.03
That will get you the 3%

so take your dog's weight in kg and time by 1000 to get grams

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Get your dog's weight in grams and times it by 0.03
That will get you the 3%

so take your dog's weight in kg and time by 1000 to get grams
Thank you so much for that! given i be feeding whole prey pieces in a few months this is good practise might see if i can get whole pieces soon though. I hear feeding raw beef liver doesnt cause allergic reactions or intolerances? is that true?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thank you so much for that! given i be feeding whole prey pieces in a few months this is good practise might see if i can get whole pieces soon though. I hear feeding raw beef liver doesnt cause allergic reactions or intolerances? is that true?
Not necessarily true.

If a dog is allergic to cooked beef the dog may still be allergic to raw beef.

Though it is true that SOME dogs are allergic to processed beef like that found in kibble but will do fine on raw beef.

Same with any other proteins. Allergies and intolerances can still happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts