Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

So my dogs have been on Prey Model raw for about a year now and its going really well. Their diet requires 10% bone in order to maintain the exact Ca:p (ratio of about 1.2:1). I enjoy researching dog food but haven't found an answer to my question.
Basically, if dogs require 1.2 calcium to 1 phosphorus, why do we only feed 10% bone? 10% seems like such a small amount, considering that they need more calcium than phosphorus. Meat and organs are abundant in phosphorus, and yet we feed 80% meat/10% organ, but only 10% bone? I dont understand how such a small amount of bone can be enough to make up the 1.2 calcium to 1 phosphorus ratio. Did someone actually test the 80/10/10 PMR requirements? I'm still 100% staying on Prey Model, I just like to know why 10% bone is enough. If anyone could explain this to me it would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Cause bone is really really really high in calcium, and meat contains a comparitively large amount of phos, so thats whats needed to balance it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been hearing more and more about the raw diet. Were there any digestive problems noticeable during the switch-over? Are there any ongoing digestive problems? And is it noticeably more expensive?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been hearing more and more about the raw diet. Were there any digestive problems noticeable during the switch-over? Are there any ongoing digestive problems? And is it noticeably more expensive?
Hi initially one of my dogs had soft stools but this cleared up in a week. As long as you stick the the 80/10/10 Prey Model general guideline it shouldn't happen too often. My other dog had no issues whatsoever, and a raw diet completely cleared up her recurring anal gland infections. The vet had told me that she would need to come in for expressing every month, but since starting raw she hasnt been back once. Not once. It certainly saved me a tonne in vet bills. Also all of the hard calculus that had been on her teeth for 3 full years, just fell off in a matter of weeks, along with the normal yellow staining. The vet had her booked in for a proper cleaning but now her teeth are pearly white at age 7. For a chihuahua this is quite rare as they are known for their dental problems (crowded teeth).

The cost is the generally far less than feeding kibble, providing you dont buy human-grade meat from a supermarket. We source meat from butchers, co-ops, abattoirs, farmers & Asian markets and large meat distributers. Ask to buy in bulk (you might need an extra freezer) and ask for things like Green tripe, hearts (count as muscle meat- not organ), large meaty bones, kidney, liver, shoulders, chicken frames, heads, off-cuts etc etc. You basically just have to ring nearby meat sellers that process meat for human consumption and ask if they will sell you some leftovers. Businesses that advertise 'pet food' as such, will be far more expensive. Join 'Raw chat' and 'Raw feeding' on FB as these groups have heaps of info. They helped me a lot when I first started researching Prey Model Raw.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I also have a chihuahua mix and I do feed human grade meat (so far). He eats so little the cost doesn't bother me. Never had any issues with digestive upset at all, not even loose stools. He also had anal gland issues that have resolved!

If you post the cost of the kibble you feed, how much per day, and weight of your dog, we can help you figure out how much you could spend on meat and still save money. But like avenge..says there are other savings!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts