Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to feed my guys raw bones for awhile now, mostly for the teeth cleaning benefits and as a treat. Ive been mostly looking into turkey and or duck necks but I can never find them. When I looked at the grocery store they had beef marrow bones and suet, pig hocks, the usual bone in chicken pieces, and chicken livers. I didn't see any either when I want to the more organically based grocery store. And I can only find marrow bones at the petstores. Where do you normally find things like turkey/duck necks? What are other raw bones that are good for helping keep their teeth clean?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice :).
This probably has a obvious answer, but can they eat the pork rib bone?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Raw chicken feet are good as well for snacks. They are naturally high in chondroitin and glucosamine as well, good for the joints.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great!
Ill have to look out for chicken feet. I don't know if ill be able to find them though, I'm limited to what I can find at grocery stores and what the petstores and farm supply stores have in their freezers and refrigerators.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You could also ask the grocery store butcher to order turkey necks or wait until just before thanksgiving and stock up on them. Also mypetcarnivore.com carries turkey, chicken, and duck necks and will fedex them to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use chicken bones all. My dog is medium-sized and 3 years old All your teeth are free from tartar. He is very happy with his bones :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
My favored raw bones are oxtails, the ones that are sliced. They're kind of pricey. I also like cross cut pork ribs and cross cut beef ribs the beef ribs again are kind of pricey.

Another one I like is pork chop bones or just a pork chop, that makes part of a meal. Chicken drumsticks if you think those are too soft, cut up turkey legs but turkeys have much harder bones.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My favored raw bones are oxtails, the ones that are sliced. They're kind of pricey. I also like cross cut pork ribs and cross cut beef ribs the beef ribs again are kind of pricey.

Another one I like is pork chop bones or just a pork chop, that makes part of a meal. Chicken drumsticks if you think those are too soft, cut up turkey legs but turkeys have much harder bones.
Not advised to cut bone. It creates irregular odd sharp edges. Best to feed them as is, whole.

Bones in pork chops are the same. Mechanically cut, with unusual sharp edges.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not advised to cut bone. It creates irregular odd sharp edges. Best to feed them as is, whole.
First time I've heard this advice.

Someone here was surprised I was feeding beef rib bones to my dogs because they were too hard. I don't feed the whole bone, I feed them cross-cut. Little nickel sized discs of bone with a big chunk of beef attached. They crunch them up no problem.

You have to know your dog tho, what it can handle, what it can't.

Argh still editing. Know they dog. I gave up on knuckle bones, the joint part was okay but the shank was too hard, even for my lab. Also neck bones both beef and pork. Too hard for Bailey and while my lab could mostly finish them, they were the only bone I found that cut her gums. Pig's feet, again too hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts