Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of posts about raw bones. I read several but I am still confused.

I got chicken necks in the past but my small dog is what you might call, a voracious chewer (more like eater) and I hear a bit of crunching noises and it's gone.

I read that some owners get anxious and worried when they heard the crunching sounds. Me too.

Is there anything safe I can get that would require her to chew more? Someome (not on this site) recommended marrow bones. I am reluctant to get those. I would be scared of her hurting her teeth.

I think I read a post here about those being weight bearing bones? 2 inch marrow bones look small enough but I am worried it still might be too risky. My dog is older and although her last dental visit went well, I don't want to create an unneccessary problem. She had some teeth removed around 2 or 3 years ago. Her teeth are okay now but I want them nice and white/healthy.

The only other idea I had is a senior kong toy. I really like the idea of a natural bone, though, but it has to be safe and a bonus is if she has to chew it. She loves chicken necks and devours them but the chewing doesn't last very long.

Any suggestions?

Oh, I currently feed prepared Iron Raw dog good. She loves treats and is not picky.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My little dogs chew on the marrow bones but I always let my bigger dogs eat the marrow out of them first. It seems to be too rich for them but they still get the flavor of it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How 'little' is your dog? What size of bone?

I am wondering if 2" marrow bone would be safe. Most sites mention chicken necks and other chicken parts for small dogs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My dog is 17 pounds, and has been raw fed for quite some time now. He gets chicken wings, chicken necks, chicken feet, duck necks, Cornish hens, small turkey necks, and lamb ribs. For these edible bones, I typically hold them, as if I didn’t, he would (like yours) eat them very quickly without chewing them much. So I hold them for him (just make sure you wash your hands well afterwards.
For bones that last awhile, and are good for teeth cleaning, I have used beef ribs, and pork and venison shoulder. Also marrow bones, and knuckle bones. With these, he normally eats them outside. They can’t really eat these bones but they get a good chew and teeth cleaning. Sometimes I freeze them and serve them frozen, then they last even longer. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stay away from chicken bones altogether. Cervical (neck) bones have sharp parts and leg bones break into sharp splinters. Both of them could rip the esophagus and cause irreparable damage that could lead to death, a very expensive repair, or the need for euthanasia. That is especially true for small dogs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cooked bones splinter because they become softened in the cooking process.
However working in emergency, I have seen so many obstructions caused by bones.

If you really want to give your dog a bone, go to the butcher, get an uncooked soup bone. Supervise your pet while he chews and take away when done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stay away from chicken bones altogether. Cervical (neck) bones have sharp parts and leg bones break into sharp splinters. Both of them could rip the esophagus and cause irreparable damage that could lead to death, a very expensive repair, or the need for euthanasia. That is especially true for small dogs.
I totally agree about Neck bones. Stay away from those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts