Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, two very different types of dogs. Let me explain.

My last dog, Mia, was a cockapoo. We had a very special bond and I feel like she was my heart dog. My current dog, Delilah, is a Toy Fox Terrier. She is a rescue and is a little neurotic and very anxious. Has been diagnosed with Canine Compulsive Disorder. We've been working with a trainer and a vet on her issues. She has also developed luxating patellas badly in both legs. But issues aside, she's a very fun little dog and a very sweet girl.

I can't do sports with Delilah though, which is what I really wanted a dog for. In the next year or two I will be in a better financial and housing situation (starting my new job next week and moving into my parents' old house next February). I want some time to continue working with Delilah and also get her surgery for her knees, but after that I really want a puppy.

Wants:
- Off leash hiking- VT weather is either really hot or really cold.
- Low shedding- definitely a single coated dog. I can do the short single coat like Delilah has, or I'd be willing to clip the fluffy single coat of the cockapoo- I did a lot of Mia's grooming myself.
- Agility- structurally sound, mentally stable, athletic, easy to train. Also might be interested in other sports such as barn hunt or rally depending on the dog's interests.
- Small size- ideally around 20 lbs but no more than 30 at the most. I don't mind tiny dogs either as Delilah is 6 lbs.

Rat Terrier:
My friend/bandmate's parents breed and show some really nice rat terriers nearby. They focus on conformation but have also dabbled in weight pull, terrier racing, and agility. One of their stud dogs lives with my friend and he's got a really nice temperament- a little aloof with people who don't live with him though. But very calm, well behaved, tolerant. Their kennel also works with another local kennel that also has some pretty nice dogs and seems to focus on conformation and agility. Both are kennels I would be very comfortable purchasing a dog from. They are handsome dogs, and a bigger, mentally stable Delilah is very appealing to me.

Cockapoo:
In my heart, I really want another cockapoo. I think about Mia everyday. She was very easy to train, very sweet and gentle, friendly, well behaved, perfect really. Pretty much the opposite of Delilah. I don't expect to ever find a dog like Mia, but getting one of the same mix has got to be a start. The main problem I'm running into is that I'm uncomfortable with most of the breeders I've come across. I've found a couple that I feel pretty good about in terms of health testing done on the parents, the amount of care the dogs receive, and the fact that they're breeding higher generation cockapoos specifically for consistency in their lines. One in particular talked in length with me about her breeding program and puppy care. The only issue is that these breeders are further away and cockapoos also cost more. I'm willing to pay the price for the right dog but if something happens and it's yet another dog I can't do agility with, that's going to be very disappointing. I have talked to a bunch of cockapoo owners on a couple of FB groups though- and a lot of them have done agility and obedience with their dogs and found them similarly easy to train and eager to participate in activities like Mia was.

I'm torn between going with the more logical choice of the terrier, and what I really want, the cockapoo.

I'm open to other breeds as well, but those two are my top choices currently. I'd also consider springer spaniels (but they're a little big), cockers, toy fox terriers, and I'm still in contact with some really nice whippet breeders as well- but I'd prefer a spaniel or terrier over a sighthound.

Thoughts? It'll be a year or two before I actually get another puppy, but I'd like to start researching breeders now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
A cockapoo is a mutt, not a breed, so I couldn't suggest getting one. It's giving business to a backyard breeder that sticks a fancy name on it and charges a lot of money. Not that a mutt is a bad thing, but I think specifically breeding for one isn't ok. Especially with the hefty price tag, and never knowing what you'll get. It could get the health or temperament of either one, or a mixture, you never know.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A cockapoo is a mutt, not a breed, so I couldn't suggest getting one. It's giving business to a backyard breeder that sticks a fancy name on it and charges a lot of money. Not that a mutt is a bad thing, but I think specifically breeding for one isn't ok. Especially with the hefty price tag, and never knowing what you'll get. It could get the health or temperament of either one, or a mixture, you never know.
Okay, well that's not what I asked. I've been around these forums and in the dog world for a while, heard all of those same arguments against them by uninformed people time and time again, and I KNOW that some people feel the same way that you do. I do not. So if you don't have anything productive to add other than inform me that a cockapoo is a mixed breed (which I know...) then please keep your opinion out of it.

I owned a cockapoo and she was the best dog ever. I've been talking to a lot of owners and a few breeders and I've been researching this for awhile. I wanted to get one a couple of years ago too, ended up with an incredibly difficult rescue dog, and now I just want to have a good dog again.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Why not a miniature poodle or an oversize toy poodle? Excellent in agility, rally, barn hunt, ob...... superior intelligence, so easy to train! That way you get the smallness you want, and the no shedding, and the good personality......just make sure you go to a breeder that does genetic testing on the dam & sire and puppy temperment testing ( Volhard or Puppy Culture Program) and don't just take their word for the genetic/OFA health testing....ask to see the paperwork (OFA, Cerf, etc) Good luck on find your next pup!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
From the dogs that I see come into the salon, I'd say go with a rat terrier. I don't know much about dog breeds, but all of the rat terriers we have come in are very sound and have great temperaments and are obviously physically stable, and on the other hand I can't think of a single cockapoo that we have come regularly that doesn't have some sort of health issue, especially when it comes to joints. Mind you this is all anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt while you're exploring your options, but that's my two cents on it. I understand wanting a dog that was like Mia, but if you really want to focus on agility I would look less at a specific breed and more-so at the breeders and the bloodlines to make sure you are getting a dog that can do the sports you're looking for. It's good that you are looking into this early and I'm glad you have time to figure out the perfect match. Can't wait to see what works out for you!

·
Registered
256 Posts
@revolutionrocknroll :
If you want a sport dog, I'd say go with the Rat Terrier. Your experience with Mia has been great but that doesn't mean that another cockapoo would be as great and most definitely will never replace Mia. Even knowing this when you think rationally, it sounds as if you're hoping exactly that, another dog that is like Mia, but that will most likely never happen.
Don't try to (emotionally) find a match for your heart dog and go with a mix that might not come out the way you want to.

Reactions: Doppelganger0337

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
If you're stuck between those two breeds, I would vote for the Rat Terrier, purely for the reason that your next Cockapoo won't be Mia, and I don't want you to be disappointed in your choice because you thought you were getting x, but ended up with y.

Small dogs that are sport savvy makes me think of Pomeranians, Papillions, JRTs (although they are a little crazy) and Miniature/Toy Poodles.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
One of my trainers has 4 rat terriers that he and his wife run. They are great high drive, smart dogs. Definitely spend some time around the breed to make sure you don't mind their attitudes, but great agility dogs. Paps are another breed that really strive in agility. (They call them miniature border collies)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not a miniature poodle or an oversize toy poodle? Excellent in agility, rally, barn hunt, ob...... superior intelligence, so easy to train! That way you get the smallness you want, and the no shedding, and the good personality......just make sure you go to a breeder that does genetic testing on the dam & sire and puppy temperment testing ( Volhard or Puppy Culture Program) and don't just take their word for the genetic/OFA health testing....ask to see the paperwork (OFA, Cerf, etc) Good luck on find your next pup!!!
I've been looking into purebred poodle and cocker breeders as well, and I really like them. For some reason I'm just not as drawn to them as I am to the mix, but they're definitely on my list to research!

I'm really leaning towards the rat terrier since I'd really like my next dog to be a sports dog. But I really want to have another cockapoo someday. Maybe in 5-10 years I'll look for another one.

If you're stuck between those two breeds, I would vote for the Rat Terrier, purely for the reason that your next Cockapoo won't be Mia, and I don't want you to be disappointed in your choice because you thought you were getting x, but ended up with y.

Small dogs that are sport savvy makes me think of Pomeranians, Papillions, JRTs (although they are a little crazy) and Miniature/Toy Poodles.
Hahahaha, my boyfriend's family has Jack Russels, and his mom was having a lot of trouble training her new one. I went over to teach her about clicker training and he WAS SO MUCH EASIER than Delilah- much better focus and attention span, even eager to learn and work with me. The main issue was that she wasn't exercising him at all and only focusing on correcting him rather than training him what she wanted him to do. Delilah, on the other hand, is like the stereotypical crazy terrier haha- definitely has some screws loose. The Jacks and the Rats I've met seem so much more laid back compared to her hahaha.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rat terrier. There will never be another Mia. Give your heart time to heal. Have a friend who runs Rat Terriers successfully in agility. Here is a link to her breeder's website. My friend has put MACH's on two of her three dogs. Her girls are pictured on the web site: Kit Kat, Moxie and Jade (or Baby Jade who is my favorite). Agility

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm torn between going with the more logical choice of the terrier, and what I really want, the cockapoo.
Good for you for thinking through your own wants and needs and the qualities of each of these dogs. You obviously excel at planning, and what that says to me is that you are fully capable of having both kinds of dogs at the same time.

I have a multi dog household and each dog has its own good qualities, and I love each of them for what they are.
I'me sure you know that raising two puppies at the same time is very difficult. But what you can do is to plan on getting a rat terrier puppy, and continue your search for a good cockapoo, maybe even leaving the door open to adopting an older puppy or even adult who turns out to have the personality qualities you seek in a cockapoo.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rat terrier. There will never be another Mia. Give your heart time to heal. Have a friend who runs Rat Terriers successfully in agility. Here is a link to her breeder's website. My friend has put MACH's on two of her three dogs. Her girls are pictured on the web site: Kit Kat, Moxie and Jade (or Baby Jade who is my favorite). Agility
Thanks for the link! These are the two breeders in my state I've looked at:
The Dogs of Steel Rat Terriers
3Bear Farm Rat Terriers & Quarter Horses

I'm also going to ask my agility trainers for their opinions. (And I told my bandmate that he should invite his mom to one of our shows... ulterior motives lol).

Good for you for thinking through your own wants and needs and the qualities of each of these dogs. You obviously excel at planning, and what that says to me is that you are fully capable of having both kinds of dogs at the same time.

I have a multi dog household and each dog has its own good qualities, and I love each of them for what they are.
I'me sure you know that raising two puppies at the same time is very difficult. But what you can do is to plan on getting a rat terrier puppy, and continue your search for a good cockapoo, maybe even leaving the door open to adopting an older puppy or even adult who turns out to have the personality qualities you seek in a cockapoo.
Thanks for the suggestions! I've decided to get the rat terrier first because I just really want a dog that I'll be able to do sports with. Then after that I'll get a cockapoo, either from a breeder or a shelter, still not sure. But I think I'll have at least 1-3 years between dogs anyways. I think I'm going to plan to get the rat terrier for when I've had Delilah for 2.5 years. So maybe next winter/spring (not this coming winter, the one after).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts