Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody! my dog has a rash (or what look like) at the beginning of his tail. it was itchy and it got raw in a few days of bitnig it. vet told me it's allergy and sent me home with antibiotic. i gave him all the antibiotic because i thought it was getting infectted and treated the wound with polysporin to keep it moist. it did improve a lot. now it seems he's itching also at the base of the tail and i saw a red area starting to appear.
i went over everything he could be allergic to but nothing seem to quite fit .anybody any idea??
i don't think it's food:he's on raw diet since he was a month old (he's 2 years now) and he's doing great.
or fleas:I never seen a flea but i tested a few times for it but the very few black speckles i found never turned red or dissolved in water.
i don't think it's seasonal: he had something similar last year in settember. we gave him something like frontline and it went away.
i'm waitng for the antibiotic to be out of his system and we'll give him again frontline.
apologize for the long thread. thanks for any ideas...

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Could be mange... have the vet check for it...but it sounds like an old fashion hot spot...som'times shaving the hair on it helps...you want it to dry out so that the bacteria don't have moisture to grow in anymore.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas good luck.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It could be food allergies. I would try to keep him or her away from wheat, or brewerys yeast. Change the dogs food and treats for a while. Try to get natures receipe from PetCO or pet smart. I buy Just Because for Dogs treats. You can find them on the internet or sometimes from the pet store. Great for dogs with allergies.

·
Banned
23 Posts
By far the most common reason to see irritation in this area is an allergy to fleas. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite will set them off.

Mange usually produces irritation behind the elbows or on the ears, (but can present in other areas). If you used frontline before and it was effective it's a good idea to do it again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts