Dog Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My father was Sicilian born and raised. He often spoke of great hunting dogs in Sicily...........This is the Cirneco dell'Etna or 'Sicilian Hound' it's favorite pursuit is rabbit! Has much in common with the Pharaoh hound and the Podenco. In Sicily he is bred true to type and is now accepted as a purebreed. I can only look at pictures and wish........;)

they look like they are faster than greased lightning! Gorgeous dogs.

no big surprise here...mine is the Dogo argentino far and away. I love their history, their tempermant, and the fact that they are built like musclebound iceburgs :)

I will own one relatively soon, i just don't want to have two "puppies" at the same time. Also I want to make sure my pup now is very well trained before adding another dog to our household.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Lagotto Romagnolo!!! I'm seriously considering one as my next dog, but the $3000 initial price is something I will need to budget for :). They just seem perfect for me!
I had the lagotto romangnolo on a short list; can't remember why I crossed them off - maybe energy level. They are cute!

Hope you get one and will share your experience with us.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Greyhounds are on UK KC vulnerable native breed list, though that is the show type plenty of racers like my own about (you can also KC reg them with studbook papers but only worth doing if wanting to show). I actually prefer shape of race bred, show type are much deeper chested, flat sided and back legs when stacked just seem, bit weird. I also like deerhounds that are on the list, met a couple of those & wouldn't mind one.
Vulnerable native breeds

Never met one in person but Otterhounds are gorgeous looking dogs. I imagine being a scenthound probably not the easiest to own though and need bit of coat care.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Lagotto Romagnolo!!! I'm seriously considering one as my next dog, but the $3000 initial price is something I will need to budget for :). They just seem perfect for me!
Hugo's groomer posted photos a few weeks ago on her facebook business page...of a Lagotto Romagnolo she had groomed! I have never seen one before & I was bizarrely thrilled to know that one lived close by me haha

·
Registered
291 Posts
Love the spanielly and sporting dogs types, especially kooikers and stabyhouns. I would love either in the future. My co-worker is looking into kooikers and is on a waiting list for next year, but unfortunately he is moving across the country so when he gets his pup, I won't be able to meet it in person :-( They look so similar to Welshies and I wanted to get Watson and his new pup together.

Welshies aren't super rare, but only 200 are born per year in the US. They were extinct in this country after WWII, and almost extinct in the UK, but luckily they were able to be brought back. As far as anyone can tell, they are very similar to the spaniel type hunting dogs used in the UK for centuries, down to the red and white color.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Greyhounds are on UK KC vulnerable native breed list, though that is the show type plenty of racers like my own about (you can also KC reg them with studbook papers but only worth doing if wanting to show). I actually prefer shape of race bred, show type are much deeper chested, flat sided and back legs when stacked just seem, bit weird. I also like deerhounds that are on the list, met a couple of those & wouldn't mind one.
Vulnerable native breeds

Never met one in person but Otterhounds are gorgeous looking dogs. I imagine being a scenthound probably not the easiest to own though and need bit of coat care.
Posted via Mobile Device
wow I never knew that. In aus there are heaps needing rehomed breed for racing but very few registered show breeders also. There is only 16 breeders on the dogzonline site which gives a good overall idea of things I guess.
Greyhound Breeders, Australia

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Bergamasco Sheepdog is a tough breed both in discipline and physical strength. These compact dogs are excellent at herding and warding off predators. The Bergamasco Sheepdog can do well in a huge variety of homes and families, as long as he is given adequate exercise and family interaction.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts