Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying for two weeks.... TWO WEEKS! to find a good home for Hopper and nobody wants her!!!

What really ticks me off about it is that when Hopper was only FIVE weeks old, full of parasites, malnourished, left outside in the cold, motherless and FREE people from all over the area wanted one of her siblings for hunting with!!! The ad was only online for a couple days and she had close to a dozen people asking about the puppies.

I rescued Hopper to be a foster, got her treated for worms, had her dewormed and made sure she got started on heartworm preventative. It has cost me over $100 in the last three and a half weeks to make her healthy. She has started house training, knows things like sit, lay down, go to bed, go for a walk, no, drop, come here. Hopper has been learning bite inhibition from her sister and from us people, she LOVES children and I've worked so hard to get her both physically and mentally healthy for a forever home. All I've been asking is a negotiable rehoming fee of $50 to cover SOME of my costs and nobody - and I mean no one - wants her!!!!

I feel like crying.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Oh my, she is cute!

That's unfortunate that you can't find a home for her. Do you know any folks in rescue? Maybe they have some connections that can help?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the idea. My friend who works closely with shelters has been trying to find a home for her too. Do you think maybe I'm having a hard time finding a home because of her markings?? When I took her to the vet the first time (five weeks old) the vet asked, "what have we here, a couple of Rottweilers?" But she is half black and half hound.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hang in there. Some dog savvy person will appreciate what all you've done and recognize the value.

Definitely ask for a small rejoining fee (at least $50, if not $100). Then you know the person will feel invested in her and truly committed.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Awww I cant believe no one wants her yet. I would deffinitly adopt her if I could, she has the sweetest little face. Well I guess you can look at it as this means she's going to find an extra special forever home since she has to wait.
Maybe you could look into breed specific rescues or near by/out of state rescues to find her a home?
I wish you luck in finding her a home, and I hope she finds an amazing one :)

Reactions: purplesully

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much for your great ideas and encouragement!!!!

While Hopper waits I'll keep teaching her tricks and good manners. Today she learned 'roll over' and she decided that it was quite fun. She's mastered the sit, lay down and 'drop' commands. This morning she tried to taste the chicken that I took out of the coop but she immediately put her tongue back in her mouth when I said drop. LOL After that she only nosed the bird.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Aw ww she's beautiful , don't worry things will work out one day an I don't think that's too much to ask for either i know somebody who payed £150 for their rescue beagle , so just keep doing what your doing an she'll get her forever home one day :) x

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GOOD NEWS!!! Hopper (now named Bella) will live on a military base in Columbia SC. Her new four legged brother, Hunter, is a German shepherd mix. Her new human mom was very excited about Hopper's strong sense of smell, quiet disposition and calm personality. She did loads of research about Bella's two breeds (black lab and Treeing Walker Coonhound) in order to know how best to train her. Over time Bella will get carefully transitioned to a raw meat diet like Hunter is on. Bella may even become an army dog! How cool is that?

Her sister Cricket is a little down right now, but the kids (both human and goat) won't let her stay that way for long.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your encouragement!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts