Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think there should be a rant forum. Everyone needs to rant at some point to people who understand how they feel and I think here's a great place to do it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I'm 13, but everyone needs to rant about dogs to other dog people at least once in their life, right?

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. The other mods and I will talk about it. ATM most rants are just posted under the subforum with the closest topic. Dog related rants might end up in a dog related subforum. Random rants not related to dogs are in the off-topic section. And normally people put the word ''rant'' in the title of the tread. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had to dig a little to find this thread. I'm 61 and a veteran ranter.
Thread made me laugh.

So on todays walk... Rant Alert! Rant Alert!... my dog goes into his stalk posture as we approach a semi blind spot on the side walk. We stop and after a brief search I see a man on a porch sipping coffee and his dog tied laying nearby. Neither has noticed us. I say hello to get their attention and ask if we can pass by.

The owner says, "Sure. He's tied and can't reach the sidewalk."
He failed to tell me his dog would lunge and bark and leap about and could nearly reach the sidewalk.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That was pretty thoughtless of the owner, he could just have reached down and held his dog since you had already announced yourself!

Since I am here I might share one of my own rants. Walking with 2 dogs early in the morning in a small neighbourhood street. One is a pup who will turn 19 weeks on Friday, the other a rescued senior dog, who is dog reactive and fearful. She is wearing a bright yellow harness with the word "Nervous" written on it. On the other side of the street is a woman walking her well behaved dog. Instead of staying on the other side, she chose to cross the street to pass by us as my fearful senior dog was unaware as she was just going for #2. Of course, once my dog realized this strange dog was near her, she panicked and reacted.
I was busy calming my dog and apologized to the woman, and then realized that she might have been the same person with whom this had happened once before, when we had 2 senior dogs 2 1/2 years ago.
Next time I will take the opportunity to inform her of the yellow harness and what this means! She needs to consider that walking by other dogs might be good training for her dog, but it might not be the best scenario for the other dog!
(Also want to add that I have tried to desensitize her, and we have made some progress, but every Spring she needs a bit of time to get back on track)

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's a doozie, Littlefox. I'd probably be a little miffed if someone intentionally crossed the street to pass by while my dog was pooping. That's kinda like crossing the double yellow line on the highway.

After thinking more about my scenario, I shoulda trusted the little voice in my head that told me to move to the street.:eek:

In retrospect I can't recall a situation where walking by a house with a dog tethered in the front yard went super well. Minus 1 point for me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah, I am not a fan of walking by houses with dogs in the front yard, and worse when they are not tied. I rather turn around and go another way even than trying the opposite side of the street. Tried that....not a good experience!

Perhaps that man in your situation was trying to teach his dog about the end of the rope? :(

Listening to your inner voice, that I like too! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts