Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rani my australian shepherd mix has beeb loosing her temper lately with the other dogs but mostly it has just been growling at them when she doesnt want to be bothered. But a few minutes ago while i was petting her she bit me without any warning. She has never done anything like that before. I sent my vet an email to call me but if I tell her that she bit me will she have to report the bite? I'm in Michigan if anyone knows the laws for here. I think Rani is about 9 yrs old I'm wodering if she could be developing csnine disfuction or what ever it is called. Kind of like alzheimers for dogs.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The ER reports bites, I don't know about vets. Anyway, it's your dog, so unless you file a complaint against yourself, it's unlikely to be a problem.

She's not losing her temper. Dogs don't have tempers. It sounds to me like she has some sort of medical issue. Any change in temperament requires a visit to the vet. So take her in and get her tested for thyroid problems and anything that could be causing her pain, especially in the area you were petting her.

·
Registered
26 Posts
to me it sounds like she may have schizophrenia. Yes dogs can get it not just people

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Both my older dogs got arthritis that made it painful if you pet them too much, one to the point that if you touched her rear end too hard, she'd snap at you - this, from the dog who never bit anyone, ever. She also got more snappish as she lost her hearing and sight (more easily startled and therefore, more easily frightened).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still waiting for a call back frocm my vet. I'm afraid she may be gone for holiday. Rani has settled down and hasn't reacted at all since the other day. I actually gwve everyone a bath yesterday ( it was so hot) and she was fine. I checked her over carefully and didn't find any tender spots or anything. She has always been highly irritable but has never actually bit me before on purpose. I'll keep her away from other people until I can talk to her vet. It just surprised me so much when she sank 3teeth into my hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts