Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10-month-old male lab mix, which I have had for about five months. (DNA test: 62% lab, 12% Great Pyrenese, 12% Belgian Turveren, which is a Kind of Belgian sheepdog).

We have been clicker training him. He walks reasonably loosely on a leash (except for squirrels), and is overall making progress.

Most of the time he is as sweet as can be. Loves people, is non-aggressive, and not anxious. Sleeps well in a crate in the bedroom with us. He is healthy. Overall, a great dog.

But everyday like clockwork between four and five, he goes a little nuts. He starts barking and snapping and is fairly intractable. But it's not aggressive. He can be petted and soothed, but without constant attention, he goes back to barking and snapping.

We are working on long sits and stays to calm him in these rambunctious moments along with the attention.

Then after a couple of hours of this, which often involves a walk, it's like the switch turns off and he goes back into what we call "Angel mode."

I've googled this, and most of what I find speaks of dogs being left alone during the day and not getting enough exercise.

Not true here: he walks 4 or 5 miles a day and has human companionship virtually 24/7.

Could this be developmental?

Any thoughts about what else we can try aside from a lot of attention, and training him to come under command control?

·
Registered
501 Posts
What is his feeding schedule?

Also, just walks may not be enough physical exercise. For Pax walks are not exercise, they are just fun. I need to run him on the beach. run him on the bike or a solid game of fetch to take his energy down even a notch.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Don't think that's all that unusual. Our Poodle/Bischon mix often goes a bit biserk @ the end of the day. I attribute it to lots of naps during the day leading to lots of pent up energy that needs to be released. Our dog is 7.5 years by the way. It doesn't last long, then she sleeps all night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

His feeding schedule is 1.5 cups of kibble in the morning, and 1.5 cups around 5.

He does nap a lot, but so did our previous lab mix, who was mellow 24/7.

This dog does always sleep though the night.

But he goes for four walks a day, over a mile each. In addition, to his naps, he gets extensive petting sessions and training.

I take him to a local dog park but prefer to go in the morning when he mignt be the only one there, rather than in the evening when there's a pack. We do try to work in at least one walk when he goes bezerker. We plan to take him running, but our vet advised us not to around 18 months when the growth plates are closed.

Overall, the trend is in the right direction, and I'm hoping they getting him under command control will solve it. We click and treat for calm behavior when he's acting up.

Someone told us a dog who would do laps around the dining room table precisely at 6pm.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Haha it happens. My dog's witching hour is exactly 9 pm. I call it her "last wind". I take advantage of it to get the last of her energy out... usually fetch or tug in the backyard for 20 minutes or so. Then she gets sent to her bed and I give her a frozen kong stuffed with canned food, a bully stick, or something else to chew on that is tasty/edible. After that, she's pretty much settled for the night.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I have a 10-month-old male lab mix, which I have had for about five months. (DNA test: 62% lab, 12% Great Pyrenese, 12% Belgian Turveren, which is a Kind of Belgian sheepdog).

We have been clicker training him. He walks reasonably loosely on a leash (except for squirrels), and is overall making progress.

Most of the time he is as sweet as can be. Loves people, is non-aggressive, and not anxious. Sleeps well in a crate in the bedroom with us. He is healthy. Overall, a great dog.

But everyday like clockwork between four and five, he goes a little nuts. He starts barking and snapping and is fairly intractable. But it's not aggressive. He can be petted and soothed, but without constant attention, he goes back to barking and snapping.

We are working on long sits and stays to calm him in these rambunctious moments along with the attention.

Then after a couple of hours of this, which often involves a walk, it's like the switch turns off and he goes back into what we call "Angel mode."

I've googled this, and most of what I find speaks of dogs being left alone during the day and not getting enough exercise.

Not true here: he walks 4 or 5 miles a day and has human companionship virtually 24/7.

Could this be developmental?

Any thoughts about what else we can try aside from a lot of attention, and training him to come under command control?
You walk a lot. Which is good. Is that on or off the lead/leash?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Sounds like it may be a case of the zoomies. My boy sometimes gets them at night, used to get them much more often when he was younger, but is more random about it. He'll just get this crazy look on his face and decide it's time to RUN. Generally I can see him getting amped up and he'll just take off running, sometimes he'll run in a circle on my bed (he's a chi x dach) sometimes it's from room to room. I love watching him when he's like that, he's just having so much fun, and am another one who uses it to drain energy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 6 month old pup had his crazy time at around 9 pm at night. It was totally exhausting as this was when we were wanting to wind down and relax. The advice given to us at our local vet clinic was to try taking him on his daily walk at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Worked like a charm and we really notice it if he doesn't get taken out at this time on a daily basis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts