Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
We are two people trying thinking of getting a puppy, but we know the puppies need a lot of work, and we are both working typically 08-16 every day. So we were wondering about some questions related to the raising of the puppy and whether involving other people in the raising is an OK approach.

1) If we get friends or hire someone to come by the house to help us out during the day when we are not home (to let the dog out etc.)
a) How often would we need them come by every day?
b) How will it affect the puppy if other people are involved in this training process, and we can only take part of the training early in the morning and from 4PM and the rest of the day. Is it very important for the puppy to have only us in this process, and not other people?
c) For how long of a period would we typically need this assistance before we can leave the dog alone at home while we are working? (measured in months)

I know it varies from race to race, but we have not decided which type of dog to get yet.
Thank you!

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Regardless of what you choose to do, if you get the dog, the more time you spend with your pup and any "sacrifices" you might make to spend this time with your pup will be paid back over the long haul big time. Puppyhood is a fleeting moment and taking advantage of it makes the best sense.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Puppies are a lot of work. Especially when very young they need to be taken out every few hours, they have small bladers and don't have good control of them yet. Its imposible to say how long it will take to potty train a dog, its all up to the individual, some get it like that and others it just takes them awhile to really get it.
When it comes to training and socialization, you should be the ones that take the puppy to classes and work with the puppy. After all its you you want the dog to listen to and bond to :) I think most places have classes later in the day and or on weekends anyway.
In my personal opinion if you are really interested in a dog, I think getting a older/young adult/adult dog would be a better idea. That you way you don't need to worry about potty training, teething, classic puppy/teenage dog behavior, they will most likely be able to hold their bladder, ect.
I'm a little confused are you saying that either of you can sometimes work up to 16 hours in one day?
Is this your first dog? Do either of you have any dog experience?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Puppies are a lot of work. Especially when very young they need to be taken out every few hours, they have small bladers and don't have good control of them yet. Its imposible to say how long it will take to potty train a dog, its all up to the individual, some get it like that and others it just takes them awhile to really get it.
When it comes to training and socialization, you should be the ones that take the puppy to classes and work with the puppy. After all its you you want the dog to listen to and bond to :) I think most places have classes later in the day and or on weekends anyway.
In my personal opinion if you are really interested in a dog, I think getting a older/young adult/adult dog would be a better idea. That you way you don't need to worry about potty training, teething, classic puppy/teenage dog behavior, they will most likely be able to hold their bladder, ect.
I'm a little confused are you saying that either of you can sometimes work up to 16 hours in one day?
Is this your first dog? Do either of you have any dog experience?
Thanks for the reply! First: no, we work 8 hours, from 08AM to 4PM. Sorry about the confusion.
Regarding classes: We were thinking of signing up for classes, yes. They are in the evening so we would be able to be there our selves.
We have looked for older dogs as well, for instance in shelters. The one we have seen there till now are too big for our place or they have issues that would be really difficult to handle for us (for instance not being able to be away from their owners).
When we are thinking of getting someone to help and when wondering how long it would take, the potty training does not worry that much. I just want to know whether it is healthy for the puppy, or if his training should be with us, 24/7.
It is our first dog, but we have had many dogs in our families.
Thanks for all input. Really appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Your welcome :)
lol I was going say 16 hours is a long work day.
Puppy classes are great, there one way to help in socializing your puppy (don't forget puppies need lots of socialization) and the trainer will help you out. Ive never taken a puppy class so I don't really know what they do especially depending on what level your puppy is at and your puppies age. Just make sure when your looking for classes you look for a force free, positive trainer.
As for older dogs, if your still interested you can try and look into rescues that foster. That way they have a better idea of how a dog will be in a home environment.
Basically as I said for mostly all of the training both of you will want to be the ones working with the puppy so the puppy will learn to listen to you, work with you, and look to you for guidance. Don't worry about the potty training with some one else, youll need some one to come let the puppy out anyways. You can try puppy pads to but they can make transitioning to only going outside difficult.
If you get a puppy are you looking to get one from a shelter or a breeder?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your welcome :)
lol I was going say 16 hours is a long work day.
Puppy classes are great, there one way to help in socializing your puppy (don't forget puppies need lots of socialization) and the trainer will help you out. Ive never taken a puppy class so I don't really know what they do especially depending on what level your puppy is at and your puppies age. Just make sure when your looking for classes you look for a force free, positive trainer.
As for older dogs, if your still interested you can try and look into rescues that foster. That way they have a better idea of how a dog will be in a home environment.
Basically as I said for mostly all of the training both of you will want to be the ones working with the puppy so the puppy will learn to listen to you, work with you, and look to you for guidance. Don't worry about the potty training with some one else, youll need some one to come let the puppy out anyways. You can try puppy pads to but they can make transitioning to only going outside difficult.
If you get a puppy are you looking to get one from a shelter or a breeder?
Hi, thank you again.
So you think it would be OK for someone to come by and let it out in the day, but we can focus on the training in the evening? That is, both training it our selves and going to classes.
There are not many dogs in shelters here for some reason, at least not any puppies. Only some older dogs that would be too difficult to handle for us due to their size and their issues with for instance not being able to stay home alone. I do would like to get it from a shelter, but it would not be a good option, neither for us nor the dog.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yes it is fine to have someone come let your puppy out, potty training is just really the dog learning bladder control and that they should go outside rather than inside. Other wise you would have to take time off of work for a bit to be able to let the puppy out or have a really flexible schedule or work so you could go home yourself and let the puppy out or bring the puppy to work.
Lots of people have people stop by and let their dog outs, weather they are puppies or adults.

Any breeds in particular your interested in? Just another option to, sometimes breeders have older puppies or adults available.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I work full time and got my puppy at 8-9 weeks. I was actually looking for an older dog/puppy but Mia sort of came unexpectedly. It was also a bit of a challenge at times to tire her out, she's a very high energy pit/staffy mix.

My neighbor is a University student so I was lucky that she was able to come everyday between the times I would be home (I would come home at lunch and I work 8-430 monday to friday). My neighbor was also on board with training so she would help me with potty training and obedience training.

Then the rest of the time I was at home (weekday mornings, evenings and all day weekends) we would spend time with play, training/obedience and housetraining. It look a little longer to housetrain her (about 5-6 months) but it wasn't too bad.

She also goes to daycare once a week and she has completed Obedience Levels 1-2.

She's 9 months now so I don't have my neighbor to come in between my times (I still go home for lunch) but she goes to daycare twice a week now and still takes obedience and she's starting agility classes.

Basically what I'm trying to say is...lol....based on my experience with my puppy, working full time, it was manageable. Looking back I would still have wanted an older puppy/young adult dog but Mia has been a pretty good pup. I just always make sure to spend enough time with her playing games and having lots of training sessions to strengthen our bond to try and make up for the alone time she spends during the day.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I work full time and got my puppy at 8-9 weeks. I was actually looking for an older dog/puppy but Mia sort of came unexpectedly. It was also a bit of a challenge at times to tire her out, she's a very high energy pit/staffy mix.

My neighbor is a University student so I was lucky that she was able to come everyday between the times I would be home (I would come home at lunch and I work 8-430 monday to friday). My neighbor was also on board with training so she would help me with potty training and obedience training.

Then the rest of the time I was at home (weekday mornings, evenings and all day weekends) we would spend time with play, training/obedience and housetraining. It look a little longer to housetrain her (about 5-6 months) but it wasn't too bad.

She also goes to daycare once a week and she has completed Obedience Levels 1-2.

She's 9 months now so I don't have my neighbor to come in between my times (I still go home for lunch) but she goes to daycare twice a week now and still takes obedience and she's starting agility classes.

Basically what I'm trying to say is...lol....based on my experience with my puppy, working full time, it was manageable. Looking back I would still have wanted an older puppy/young adult dog but Mia has been a pretty good pup. I just always make sure to spend enough time with her playing games and having lots of training sessions to strengthen our bond to try and make up for the alone time she spends during the day.

Good luck! :)
Thank you for your answer :)
@Sabina88: Right now we are looking at a border collie. Would that change some of the answers you have written?

And Yoshiposhi; its comforting to hear that it is possible and Im glad it worked out well for your dog.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi andrjor,
While it is absolutely doable to raise a happy, healthy pup while working full time (especially with some help from friends��) I caution you to reconsider your choice of breed! I am a very experienced dog owner, work with dogs for a living, and am involved in dog sports. I am now living with my first Border Collie, and while he is an amazing, sweet, athletic, intelligent dog, Border Collies are in a completely different category as far as need for stimulation and interaction than any other dog I have ever had! Definitely NOT a beginner dog. Just my two cents :)
Best of luck finding your perfect pup! (Ps. If you like the herding dog personality and look, perhaps consider the Sheltie. Awesome dogs (I've lived with several), they are smart, biddable and energetic, but not nearly as demanding as a BC.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Any dog & especially puppies are very demanding & consume huge chunks of time. Though it may be doable more so for some breeds than others, any dog thrives on human attention. Dogs really depend on spending time with their humans. We waited until we were both retired, which for us worked out best for us & Samantha. Having said all that, there are many working couples that have done well managing the demands that adding a dog to the family imposed. IMO it just takes more dedication.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts