Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this food? Someone suggested it (actually for my rats lol)
just 6® Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Recipe | Natural Dog Food

It looks ok. But I looked it up on Dog Food Advisor and it was only a 3 star food though I am not exactly sure why...

Currently I feed small dog 4Health. It is a 4 star food and I like it.
My new dog was previously fed Pro Plan.... So I am looking to upgrade that to something better. His last owner tried switching him to other foods and had alot of problems. She said he only likes lamb and refused to eat anything else. idk how "true" that is lol

I usually am a snob about grocery store foods but I am not seeing anything really bad about it?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ingredients

Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Chicken Flavor, Poultry Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Di-Calcium Phosphate, Zinc Proteinate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

What I can see of the ingredients is a heavily grain based food, which is most likely why it gets a 3 star rating. Lamb meal is the only real named protein source. Sodium chloride and potassium chloride are both salts. Dogs do not need salt in their diet. Also, "poultry fat" and "natural chicken flavour" are not named meat sources. Poultry could be anything from pigeon to chicken and chicken flavour....yuck!

You are better off staying with the 4Health, it's a much better food. They do have a lamb and rice formula as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They explain their ratings in the analysis.

Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 is a plant-based dry dog food using just a modest amount of lamb meal as its main source of animal protein, thus earning the brand 3 stars.
Basically, while lamb meal may be the first ingredient, the amount of plant-based ingredients outweighs the amount of meat. So it's an above average food, but not a great one. Moderately recommended for a person who can't afford a higher quality food. If you're fine with that, buy it.

I'm assuming you shop at TSC. I don't know what your budget is, but there are other options if you're interested.

Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free has a lamb-based formula called Meadow Feast. It is around $49.99 for a 28# ($29.99 for 14#) bag though. Like Nutrish, it is a more plant-based food, however, it has a notable amount of lamb in it.

I would have recommended Merrick in the past, but since the buyout by Purina I won't touch it with a 50-foot pole. Purina wasn't supposed to make any changes for at least a full year, yet there are numerous reports of sick dogs from batches produced after Purina bought the brand. There was even at least one dog that died of acute liver failure, and apparently the autopsy confirmed it was caused by something in the food.

Earthborn is probably the highest quality food containing lamb that TSC has. If there are shops elsewhere you are willing to go to, or even if you can order food online, there are other foods. One of my favorites for my brother's picky eater (lamb as well, go figure) is Zignature. It is a bit pricy at $52.99 for a 27# bag, though... but sort of makes sense when you figure that it has a 4.5/5 rating.

And of course 4H isn't a bad food either, so if you're happy with that and the dog eats it, just stick with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts