Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so I appologise if this is in the wrong section.

I'm taking my dog abroad with me and I need to get her a rabies jab, I've googled it and ive read stories about it being fatal to dogs and the severe reactions they can cause. My vet never mentioned this to me. Does anyone have any experiences of this?
I'm very worried about getting her the jag now, she's a lurcher cross,last vet trip she weighed 20kg. I've read the size of the dog counts as well as its the same dose no matter what.
Any experiences or advice would be great

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you google anything you will get horror stories.

Many dogs travel abroad and have had rabies vaccinations not just once and are alive and well. But of course, like with everything, there are risks, al be it small. Speak to your vet about your concerns.

Which country are you in and where are you travelling to?

My friends have taken their Yorkies into Europe many times, and in the days when the rabies vaccination had to be given every year. Now it's only every three years. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the uk, so this isn't anything I've ever had with my other dogs, I'm taking her to australia, I've spoke to a few people who've told me horror stories so it's me anxious about it

·
Registered
813 Posts
Horror stories that they have experienced or horror stories they have heard? I'm in the UK, my friend imported a puppy from Germany, so he had to have a rabies jab at a very young age. No problems at all. Some years ago I imported a dog from Germany, he had to have a rabies jab, no problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stories of dogs having respiratory problems after it leading to death was one of the stories, others involved severe sickness. I was also told I'd have to stay in the vets for around an hour after it ��

·
Registered
876 Posts
All my dogs have always gotten their rabies shots. Not a single one has ever shown even a symptom of anything wrong. Your pup is likely to be just fine. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Let's put this into perspective - how many of YOUR friends have actually experienced these problems?

And what is the alternative to your dog not having the rabies jab?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I've been trying to be rational about it but it's the unknown I guess. I wouldn't go, would never leave her behind

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I nearly killed my flatmate by giving him regular aspirin. He went into anaphylactic shock a previously unknown allergy. Aspirin is one of the safest drugs in the world been used for decades by millions and only a very small portion have such adverse reactions.

millions of dogs have been vaccinated against rabies of course there is going to be a very small fraction who will have adverse reactions. NOTHING in the world is 100% safe but vaccines are one of the safest medical procedures out there. Now there can be a discussion as to how often, what age ect but you dont have to worry about that you have an adult dog who may only need this once for traveling.

The odds are really in your favour, honestly, but ask your vet for what side effects to look for.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Vaccine reactions happen....But it's very uncommon and unlikely for a dog to go into anaphylactic shock and die. Usually a vaccine reaction, if a dog is going to even have one, is just some local swelling or hives. And it's easily taken care of with some benadryl/diphenhydramine.

The chance of your dog having an issue is very low, especially considering it's never had the vaccine before, and if he's a very healthy dog otherwise with no currently existing immune issues. I would say go ahead and have it done, as it's worth being able to take your dog with you.

You can always phone the vet and discuss your concerns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts