Dog Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Not sure what you mean by that. The other one is still there on opposite side of mouth.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
Sorry - I meant if you were unsure if it was a baby tooth, the size of the other one would help you compare.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The dogs no longer want the food we give them. We tried giving it to them in different ways/bowls/etc. to no avail. Should we try some other food maybe? Do dogs get tired of a particular food over time?

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
There are two schools of thought on food. There is tough love, they will eat it when they are hungry enough. Personally, I would rather my dog enjoyed his food than just eat to survive.

You could try wetting it with some warm water if it is dry food, which releases some of the aroma,or top it with a small amount of wet food mixed in. Or experiment with different textures. They might prefer wet or semi dry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
We usually wet with warm water. When they stopped we started wetting 1 and keeping other dry. We also tried mixing in higher level treats but they just pick them out. Going to mix in another dry and see as well as some kibble treat mix and see if that spices it up enough. We’ve tried mixing wet in when we first got them but they didn’t like it so we went all dry. Maybe we will rotate wet in again as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
On the food question, could it be that you just got a spoiled bag? I have always fed my dog the same food since she first came home at 12 weeks. Out of 5 years, I have only gotten 1 bag that my dog wouldn't touch.

I sesspected it might just be a spoiled batch, so I went and bought another small bag of the same food. She ate that like she always did. I returned the bad bag to the store for a refund.

·
Registered
908 Posts
When Ozzy was teething, he went off food for a bit. I was still soaking his food a bit too and thought it hurt his teeth to chew them. I ended up topping his food with a bit of baby food and placed it on a plate for easy pickings. I still don't know why he went off his food during teething, but he is back to eating well and seems to prefer dry kibble for the crunch.

If your pups are teething, a good trick is to freeze a moistened cloth and have them chew on that to soothe their gums.

Ime, dogs don't get tired of their food (although I have never had an issue with them not eating before so never had to offer anything else). With my current pup, I stick to the same brand, but switch up the protein with every new bag.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
She is dropping baby teeth lately so this is a possibility. Haven’t seen him drop any teeth yet and vet says he still has all his baby teeth.
They sniff the bowl and walk away. I accidentally knocked the food on the floor and they ate it. I’m thinking maybe I didn’t clean it enough that they smell the old food or some mix and it is turning them off. Also this is a new food as well. But they still wouldn’t eat in the bowl. Also started adding this topper although they r very good at picking it out…

·
Registered
908 Posts
Did you try feeding off a plate or playing a game at mealtime? My pup likes scatterball. I roll a kibble (or a few if they are tiny) in one direction, call him back to me as I'm moving away in the another direction, then roll a kibble in another direction and repeat repeat. It gets him moving, he gets to "chase something" and he practices recall.

If that is raw food, I feed Ozzy some freeze-dried as well in his kong. I like to add it to his diet even if it's just a bit.

How old is your schnauzer pup now? Ozzy was late to loose his baby teeth too. Just to let you know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
dry food: was Hills SD, tried royal canine and now at TOTW.
Both: sniff bowl and walk away. If I dump on floor directly 70% of time they eat it. I tried straight dry, wet the dry food under warm water, add boosters to the kibble.
Schnauzer: started hand feeding him totally dry and he eats full meals.
Shihpoo: paper plate she sometimes eats off of now but I think it is just so she can try to tear the plate apart once done.
I’m wondering if I should get a wooden bowl to simulate the floor…
They r both 5 1/2 months old now.

·
Registered
908 Posts
A lot of animals prefer to work for their meals, not just dogs. They will leave food that's just out and go for a garbage can where they need to take the lid off first.

We use games to feed Ozzy, he actually never ever eats out a bowl. He has a snuffle mat, a few food dispensing toys and puzzles, sometimes I have him wait and hide little piles around a room/house or scatter in the grass, scatter under a couple tiers of towels for him to snuffle or wrap them up in scrap fabric and roll up in a towel. Or we play scatterball which I described earlier.

Your babies are very cute, I love how they pose for the camera.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
dry food: was Hills SD, tried royal canine and now at TOTW.
Both: sniff bowl and walk away. If I dump on floor directly 70% of time they eat it. I tried straight dry, wet the dry food under warm water, add boosters to the kibble.
Schnauzer: started hand feeding him totally dry and he eats full meals.
Shihpoo: paper plate she sometimes eats off of now but I think it is just so she can try to tear the plate apart once done.
I’m wondering if I should get a wooden bowl to simulate the floor…
They r both 5 1/2 months old now.

View attachment 250962 View attachment 250963
If you hand feed your dog you will train the dog to only eat food when he is hand fed. This is not something you want to teach your dog. I recommend you find other ways to get him to eat, but don't hand feed him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Tried the snuggle matt and some other stimulant products. Worked initially for dry but not so much interest anymore. Also for her we wet the dry with warm water to soften it. Any suggestions for mushy type food stimulant delivery method?
Yea I don’t want to hand feed him. Was just trying different methods to try to understand what is going on. I did try hand feeding him again today (this is 2nd I’ve tried it) to confirm and he sniffed and walked away.
We didn’t keep track of exact date they started doing this but we feel like it was around when we tried to take them to a training session and they used hot dog pieces there. We stopped the training because we didn’t like the methodology but we are wondering if having this type of food they r not as interested in the dry anymore.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Idk about the hot dogs, but for mushy food, Ozzy has a tornado puzzle toy. It has 3 tiers of trays with 4 little bowls each that pivot 360°.
Don't know if it's worth it to try, but Ozzy likes it. They figure them out very quickly, but he still has to work at it and find the food, so he doesn't get tired of it.

Before I went to dry food with Ozzy, like when I was still softening the kibble, I used less and less water until they were just spongy. Doesn't take much.

Trust me, there's more value to treats and food when you make it more exciting. I don't think Ozzy really cares what he gets as reward, he's more excited that i'm happy.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts