Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
I never trust a schnauzer. I also lost my 1st family schnauzer to being hit by a car in front of the house.

The temptation to chase prey is just too bred in IME.

That pic of Ragnar is really cute! Ozzy did/does the same! Those sticks! And their collections lol!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I never trust a schnauzer. I also lost my 1st family schnauzer to being hit by a car in front of the house.

The temptation to chase prey is just too bred in IME.

That pic of Ragnar is really cute! Ozzy did/does the same! Those sticks! And their collections lol!
This is a good point.
Good, effective and well reinforced training is always a good thing and for some dogs will result in very solid behavior in all aspects. In other dogs it may not hold solidly under all circumstances.

I would not trust a greyhound off leash, for instance, no matter how well trained. Nor a terrier (as above) who had a strong prey drive, nor a hunting dog ditto. I wouldn't expect a border collie, unless trained properly on sheep, to behave perfectly around sheep, even if very well trained in other ways and under other circumstances.

The bottom line is that training is one thing....and is good and necessary....and instinct is another thing, and you cannot train out an instinct. Nor, in my opinion, should you want to. After all, it is instinct which in large part makes up the character of a certain breed and their traits, and if you like those traits you simply acknowledge them and understand and manage them when needed. To me, those traits are never anything against the dog, just a matter of what kind of dog you want to have. :)
(coming from someone who loves border collies and terriers)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am taking them for walks in the woods. When we r on the trails she constantly stops walking and looks back at me. If I keep going she turns and keeps going. If I stop she comes and jumps on my leg like she wants something. At 1st I thought maybe she wants water but 1. She does this from the moment we start walking to the end, 2. She’ll drink the water and start doing it again after, 3. Sometimes she barely touches the water. Then I thought maybe she is tired of walking since she is smaller than the rest so I carried her. 1. She does this right away from beginning so don’t think carrying her is the issue at least not that early on in walk, 2. I’ll carry her a bit and put her back down and she immediately starts the same routine, 3. I tried not carrying her at all and when she gets back home she is not tired and keeps going.
she does not do this on any other walks I take her on like on the block where we live kind of walks or walks on our property, etc.
any ideas?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Seems as if maybe the woods are intimidating to her. Try speaking to her in an upbeat manner, and go a bit more slowly. Encourage her if she moves forward at all. If she stops, take a couple of steps past her, not pulling her leash even the tiniest bit, and cheer her along to come to you, enticing her with a treat and praising her when she comes. Repeat. See if maybe this in time gets her over her hesitation. But don't expect it to change in only a few days, it might take a while.

Also, check her paws...it might be that the surface you are walking on is uncomfortable for her. but to me it sounds as if this is an expression of some trepidation to go into the woods. Maybe if she doesn't enjoy woods-walking you do not need to take her there, and find a place she likes better?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
She’s stays in front of me the whole time. No need to pull the leash. In fact she likes to lead in front of all of us including Ragnar. She doesn’t hesitate and acts similar to Ragnar (stops to sniff, goes to bathroom, says Hi to people we come across, etc). I thought about paw thing but she doesn’t limp and we have similar ground back at home and she has no issue there.
I think she is worried I may disappear since she always walks in front of me like separation anxiety or something.

·
Banned
385 Posts
Some dogs "worry" about their handler. They want to know you are still with them and still OK.

My Moose-dog did that when our friend walked him. He was so worried that she would disappear that he would trip her up constantly trying to turn around to check on her. She learned to talk to him as we walked. If she was talking to him, he knew she was safe.

I used that innate sense of Moose-dog's to teach his sister how to stay close. I would put them on a double leash and drop the leash. Because they were still attached to each other, when he stopped to check on our friend (he didn't worry about me), she had to stop also. That taught her to check in with me regularly. When I was alone with them, she would check on me and he had to stop. I don't let my dogs offleash, but I do teach them how to walk offleash in case I had to let go for some reason.

Reactions: Schnauzaluv

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
She’s stays in front of me the whole time. No need to pull the leash. In fact she likes to lead in front of all of us including Ragnar. She doesn’t hesitate and acts similar to Ragnar (stops to sniff, goes to bathroom, says Hi to people we come across, etc). I thought about paw thing but she doesn’t limp and we have similar ground back at home and she has no issue there.
I think she is worried I may disappear since she always walks in front of me like separation anxiety or something.
OK, in this case I say, don't worry about it. She is just checking to be sure you are still there, and there's not a thing wrong with that unless you feel certain that she is anxious. Sometimes a person can misinterpret the dog's emotion.

This is not the same thing as separation anxiety, which term is used when a dog is anxious about being left behind when you leave the house, and would not be applied here.

Most of my dogs (who have largely been border collies) have always checked back in with me whenever we have been out walking together, especially if they are not on leash. It's just their way of making sure the family is all OK and together.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Maybe try telling her it's ok and she can go? My pup does this when we encounter another dog on leash, or when he's not sure which direction we are going. He's just checking in, making sure it's ok to go. She probably is feeling a little bit uncertain about the unfamiliar area, but she doesn't seem to be fearful or have anxiety.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Some dogs "worry" about their handler. They want to know you are still with them and still OK.

My Moose-dog did that when our friend walked him. He was so worried that she would disappear that he would trip her up constantly trying to turn around to check on her. She learned to talk to him as we walked. If she was talking to him, he knew she was safe.

I used that innate sense of Moose-dog's to teach his sister how to stay close. I would put them on a double leash and drop the leash. Because they were still attached to each other, when he stopped to check on our friend (he didn't worry about me), she had to stop also. That taught her to check in with me regularly. When I was alone with them, she would check on me and he had to stop. I don't let my dogs offleash, but I do teach them how to walk offleash in case I had to let go for some reason.
I can try the talking although I find it peaceful walking in quiet a lot in the woods. I do talk to them from time to time to encourage them as we walk. I’ll try more next time and see if that helps her. Thanks.
I use this leash:

Not sure if the dropping thing would work for this type right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Maybe try telling her it's ok and she can go? My pup does this when we encounter another dog on leash, or when he's not sure which direction we are going. He's just checking in, making sure it's ok to go. She probably is feeling a little bit uncertain about the unfamiliar area, but she doesn't seem to be fearful or have anxiety.
Yea I’ve been taking the opposite approach and scaling back. Was asking her if she’s alright and picking her up/carrying her, etc. I’m going to try the encouragement whenever she turns around and see if that helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Excessive locking: she licks me excessively when she licks. Like 15-30min. I thought it was salt in sweat at first. Then I thought maybe she likes me and wants to express it. Now I’m not sure what it is. She really gets into it and i feel like a human licky matt…at first it was a weird sensation and almost cute. Nowadays I’m starting to feel like I’m her snack lol. Any ideas on this? Saw some videos on licking but no concrete explanations and I didn’t see any go on for up to 30min like she does.

·
Banned
385 Posts
I can try the talking although I find it peaceful walking in quiet a lot in the woods. I do talk to them from time to time to encourage them as we walk. I’ll try more next time and see if that helps her. Thanks.
I use this leash:
View attachment 250306
Not sure if the dropping thing would work for this type right?
Honestly, I hate these types of leashes with a passion. There is no control over the dog. If the dog is at the end of the tether, there is no way to get the dog back at your side except calling the dog. You can't grab the small string and pull the dog in without injury. It is meant to let your dog control where it is in relation to you - instead of you controlling where the dog is.

I use a standard 6ft leather leash. I attach two of these to the leash and one to each dog. This allows me to separate the dogs if necessary. Sometimes, I attach one to the leash handle and have a dog at each end. Whichever way I do it, if I need the dogs at my side, I can pull them in quickly. I have a longer 15ft nylon lead, but often just attach a second leather leash for a longer reach.

Reactions: Madra Anamchara

·
Banned
385 Posts
In regards to licking, it could be anything or a combination. Some dogs just like to lick. If it bothers you, keep a toy or chew nearby. When she looks like she is going to lick, give her the toy/chew to redirect her.

If she gets in a lick, just calmly turn away from her. Wait a few moments and if she hasn't licked you, praise her.

Or do what I do: "ooh gross, I don't want your licks. I've seen where that tongue has been. Yuck. Go play with your sister" and then suffer through the licks. Tornado-dog is mouthy, I'd rather licks than biting or chewing on me, so I pick my battles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The leash works great for the walking area I use it on for walks. For home or other places yes a more traditional leash is used. I know what your saying however it’s easy for me to catch the leash up short and lock it if we run into anyone/thing. Thanks for the info.
the licking I have no issue with it; just never experienced it before. It soothes her and is no bother to me. Was just curious about it. Never went through this before with a dog.
As far as her looking back I also notice that if the walking path is more open she looks around a lot but not at me. It’s only when the path gets tight (say 3 feet wide) and she has to walk more directly in front of me does she do this behavior. I think she is more situationally aware of her surroundings and that’s why she does this. He is nose down and sniffing out things. He loves to sniff out birds. She likes to lead or look around a lot. Just different dogs, breeds, genders, etc that lead into different behaviors I suppose. They wind up covering for each other as he is singular in purpose and sniffs out things and she is situationally aware and brings attention to surroundings. Works out well smile!

·
Banned
385 Posts
The licking is weird, but can be common. A co-worker had a dog who would sit and lick their feet. I am talking a full service pedicure that could go on for hours.

Some females lick excessively if they've been bred and had their puppies taken away multiple times. They get into a mothering need to lick those missing babies clean. Other dogs may lick obsessively as a form of OCD. Some just like the taste. And for some it's a sign of boredom.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
She lost a tooth today I think during playtime with the male. It is a fang style large tooth. Am I to assume this is a puppy tooth coming out? She is just shy of 5 months now. What should I look for to make sure this was a normal loss of tooth or should I take her to vet?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts