Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a continuation from here:
Original Post

This is Ragnar & Sadie. They are a Mini Schnauzer and Shihpoo. Here is a pic from when they came into our lives.

This is more current at around 4 months old.

Going to utilize this thread to post questions and experiences as we continue along this journey together.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Question: (Potty). For potty training we have been going through various iterations of taking them out on schedules (or at least x amount of time between potty breaks), monitor for sniffing/circling, going out beginning of day, right after meals, right after drinks of water, etc. We still have an issue with them going anywhere in the house. I tend to take them outside for long stretches each day and allow them to go whenever they feel like it. Someone mentioned that this may contribute to their confusion in the house and that we have to set the ‘intention’ to go potty to create a sense of proper time and place otherwise they just naturally see it as a free for all whenever they want. And so before we do play/hangout time/when we r just starting to go out we take them on the leash and immediately take them to the designated potty spot and do the usual like rewarding/praising when they go. After this initial though they just hang out and go whenever again. They tend to gravitate to same/similar spot on their own but still not sure if this confuses them? How to correct our behavior so they r clear and we can cleanup the house issue?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question: (food). How to best introduce veggies to their diet? Up until now they have been dry food fed with the food soaked in warm water for 2min before straining and feeding them. That and various treats. We want to introduce carrots, celery, and asparagus to their diets. We tried celery and carrots so far cutting into small sticks, small bite sized chunks, and shredding with mixed results. We tried providing individually straight by themselves as well as mixing into their regular food meals. Even tried in a Kong with plain yogurt. Not sure that they r really interested in it. Is it acquired taste? Should they like it right away? How should we introduce dosages of them, etc? Should we cook them beforehand or something (we just water scrub clean and feed raw from fridge). Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Toileting - if they are having accidents in the house, it's because you don't have them outside at the moment that they need to toilet.

They are about 13 weeks old, yes? Take them out hourly, make sure your praise and reward is immediate and generous - immediate to be clear that it's for toileting and not for anything else and generous to make it worth their while to hold their toilet until they are outside. Sometimes it just takes a little longer.

Food - first, why pour away the water the food has been soaked in? You are pouring away some of the nutrients.

If they are on a complete diet, they don't need vegetables. A lot of dogs like them though and a raw carrot can be good for dental health, or gnawing on a frozen carrot can soothe sore mouths during teething. Other veg, they may or may not like as a treat. I normally cook vegetables - or at least, I cook veg for our meals and my dog sometimes gets some as a treat. He likes carrot, broccoli and brussels sprouts - in terms of fruit he likes apples and oranges but hates banana - it's just a preference.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
They are just not being taken outside enough. I know it sounds like a lot, but taking them out every hour is a good idea. Set a timer; that's what I have done.

As for veges, they don't need them if they are being fed a quality dog food. You can go to Dog Food Advisor .com for full analysis of dog foods and learn how to read the labels to make sure thy are getting good nutrition. don't necessarily believe what your vet says about it; they are vets, not nutritionists.

When they are a little older, they may like to chew on carrots. I give them to my dogs. But they really don't need them for nutrition, and I use them as a treat, not as food. One of my dogs also loves bananas and always gets the last slice for a treat. I have found usually those tastes develop as the dog matures. If they don't really want to eat carrots, or something else as a treat, there's no reason to push it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you are soaking their food, just add enough water to moisten a bit and let it soak in. I used to prepare my pup's food for the day in the morning, and put the remainder in the fridge for lunch and dinner. But the idea is to let it all soak in and not have any excess water since vitamins like vitamin C and E are water soluable and rinse away with the excess drained water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all!
Potty: yes we r missing something somewhere. I am outside with them hours out of each day but they also wind up going in the house no matter how much of the day I keep them out. I think it’s because when they play in the house together it’s more confined inside so their metabolism is in high gear. Other than that we constantly take them out and keep them outside for many hours of the day. We figure we need to do this at least until they can control their bladder and we have the ability to do so right now so it works out. Just afraid that this isn’t really helping as described above and just masking everything until they finally go inside.
Veggies: I guess we will lay off for now or just keep available in their reach in case they want to try. Will also try the fruits thanks.
Food: didn’t strain today and he ate all while she picked. Will see how it goes and not strain anymore. Also we r using Hills SD puppy right now and was looking up on here that it’s just middle of the road. Will look to slowly mix and introduce something like Fromm from researching on here for next bag.
Kong: she likes plain yogurt while he doesn’t care for it. He does like peanut butter but I’m curious can I give those as daily treats?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1st haircut.
He went from this:

to this:

she went from:

to:

we r wondering for him should we strip and then clip or how is it best for mini schnauzers. What do we tell the groomer we want done? And how often should we do it?

for her we wonder if she will ever look the way we originally found her hair wise again. Will it ever grow back like above and if it even does will she ever be Sable colored again or will she become creme colored?

I’ll have a couple better after shots later when I can download from my camera.

·
Registered
895 Posts
we r wondering for him should we strip and then clip or how is it best for mini schnauzers. What do we tell the groomer we want done? And how often should we do it?
Clippering will be the way to go for Ragnar, especially if you're bringing Sadie in too. The groomer will probably not hand strip anyway. It's no problem to clipper and what most schnauzers get. I just recommend keeping the furnishings brushed out, prevention is really really worth it as a knot is a real pain to work out. The groomer clipped his furnishings nice and short, so with regular visits, he should be easy maintenance. I used to bring my dogs in to be groomed every 3 months, by two months I was doing a bit of touching up, but I had them clipped a bit longer in the legs.

I don't know the answer to Sadie's question.

They both look adorable though! So fluffy and clean looking. I love your pictures of them.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
keep them outside for many hours of the day
I don't think that teaches them to hold their bladder. If you think about it, they can still toilet as and when they want - they just happen to be outside sometimes, inside other times. I'd spend more time indoors, but with a strict (for you) regular schedule of taking them out. If you go out and they don't toilet, bring them in but don't take your eyes off them - any hint of a toilet (circling etc) get them straight out. If they don't try to toilet inside (great) take them back out again five minutes later. Keep yo-yo-ing in and out until you get outside toilets then immediately praise and reward as above.

she likes plain yogurt while he doesn’t care for it. He does like peanut butter but I’m curious can I give those as daily treats
Yes, provided the peanut butter is dog-safe. Some contain xylitol which is toxic for dogs. It can be fattening though so maybe use it mixed with other things.

[email protected] glands: stumbled onto this on groomer website. How often should we have this done and at what age should they start having it done
It shouldn't be necessary as a matter of course. If the diet is good, their stools should be firm enough to squeeze against the glands as they poo, which expresses them naturally. If their poo is soft, that may not happen but it's better to adjust their diet to firm them up than need them manually expressed.

·
Administrator
1,146 Posts
Question: (food). How to best introduce veggies to their diet? Up until now they have been dry food fed with the food soaked in warm water for 2min before straining and feeding them. That and various treats. We want to introduce carrots, celery, and asparagus to their diets. We tried celery and carrots so far cutting into small sticks, small bite sized chunks, and shredding with mixed results. We tried providing individually straight by themselves as well as mixing into their regular food meals. Even tried in a Kong with plain yogurt. Not sure that they r really interested in it. Is it acquired taste? Should they like it right away? How should we introduce dosages of them, etc? Should we cook them beforehand or something (we just water scrub clean and feed raw from fridge). Any ideas/suggestions?
Bearing in mind I've never had any dog from a puppy (2 have been 1 year old, the 3rd was 5ish), I've never deliberately set out to introduce veggies to their diet. Instead I'll casually throw them a piece of fruit or veg that I'm eating and gauge their reaction. Both of my girls love banana. One likes cucumber, the other doesn't, they both like apple (I think), I don't think either of mine like carrots... If they do, they may prefer them cooked.

Thanks for the replies all!
Potty: yes we r missing something somewhere. I am outside with them hours out of each day but they also wind up going in the house no matter how much of the day I keep them out. I think it’s because when they play in the house together it’s more confined inside so their metabolism is in high gear. Other than that we constantly take them out and keep them outside for many hours of the day. We figure we need to do this at least until they can control their bladder and we have the ability to do so right now so it works out. Just afraid that this isn’t really helping as described above and just masking everything until they finally go inside.
Veggies: I guess we will lay off for now or just keep available in their reach in case they want to try. Will also try the fruits thanks.
Food: didn’t strain today and he ate all while she picked. Will see how it goes and not strain anymore. Also we r using Hills SD puppy right now and was looking up on here that it’s just middle of the road. Will look to slowly mix and introduce something like Fromm from researching on here for next bag.
Kong: she likes plain yogurt while he doesn’t care for it. He does like peanut butter but I’m curious can I give those as daily treats?
I think perhaps that's where you're going wrong. If you stay outside with them for hours, how are they to know it's for them to toilet? I agree with others. You need to be taking them out every hour (and separately), on the lead. If they haven't gone in a few minutes, bring them in and watch them like a hawk. Any signs of sniffing, circling, etc, get them straight back outside. If they don't show any signs of going after about 10mins, take them out again anyway. Praise like mad when they go where you want them to go, as they're going, then treats rain from the sky.

Clean up any and all accidents in the house with a specially formulated cleaning solution. Keep your face and body language neutral, and if you have to say something (I say this because I did) say so in a playful voice. "Code Brown! Clean up in Aisle 2", etc.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!
Nature’s choice for hardwood is our cleaner.
separate potty on leash 50/50. Probably need to do better there. Although we haven’t had any issue with them distracting each other and not going if out together. Just tight leash one on one side of us and the other on the other side.
At some point we would like to have them ‘ring the bell’ and go out on their own to potty. We got both a hang bell string as well as waiter bells and when we say let’s go potty we train them to hit them. He’s good with it, she’s resistant to bell ringing. In fact for him one time he’s was ringing the bell like mad and turns out I was out with the other one and he wanted out with us lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
At some point we would like to have them ‘ring the bell’ .
Be very careful what you wish for. Dogs pick up that ringing the bell gets them let out, as opposed to let out to toilet.

You will become your dogs' personal doorman.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be very careful what you wish for. Dogs pick up that ringing the bell gets them let out, as opposed to let out to toilet.

You will become your dogs' personal doorman.
Add it to the list I guess. Apparently I’m already his personal cradle :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have never had a problem with "being the dog's doorman", although I can see that some people may have that issue, and so advise against it. It's also a personal thing, perhaps. My dogs get let out every time they want to go out because I have a secure yard and want them to have that choice.
Now, mind you, they don't ask to go out 30 times a day and if they did I would put a stop to that. If a puppy or new dog started playing the "want to go in - want to go out - want to go in" game, I would take steps to curb that. But I have actually never had a dog do that. I also have not ever used bells. My dogs have always just come and looked at me, or gone and looked at the door, or got my attention in some other way if need be and I know what they want. As I say, it's very much an individual thing, in the dogs and the person both I think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question (keep in outdoor boundary): Currently we have no fence for our yard. We can’t until some work is finished mid summertime. We don’t really have an issue with the female staying within the boundaries however with him he is starting to constantly challenge them and whenever he is confronted he looks around real quick and picks up the nearest stick and starts coming back like as if grabbing a stick was excusable for leaving the boundaries (he has a collection of sticks on property to choose from as well). He will not acknowledge you until you are within a couple feet of him if he is doing this behavior as well. Basically our yard is the grass and the boundaries are woods or wooded area. How to correct the behavior without a fence or having to leash all the time? Is it possible to train boundaries? With the female it seemed to have worked. With him initially it worked but lately curiousity getting the better of him...

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
If you could train it, you couldn't 100% trust it - there is always that chance that the thrill of the temptation outside of the boundary (something to chase, for example) would surpass the training to stay in the boundary.

So bottom line, it isn't something I'd ever risk.

·
Administrator
1,146 Posts
Question (keep in outdoor boundary): Currently we have no fence for our yard. We can’t until some work is finished mid summertime. We don’t really have an issue with the female staying within the boundaries however with him he is starting to constantly challenge them and whenever he is confronted he looks around real quick and picks up the nearest stick and starts coming back like as if grabbing a stick was excusable for leaving the boundaries (he has a collection of sticks on property to choose from as well). He will not acknowledge you until you are within a couple feet of him if he is doing this behavior as well. Basically our yard is the grass and the boundaries are woods or wooded area. How to correct the behavior without a fence or having to leash all the time? Is it possible to train boundaries? With the female it seemed to have worked. With him initially it worked but lately curiousity getting the better of him...
View attachment 250160
Personally,if it were me, I wouldn't risk it and simply take them out on walks until I could get a physical, secure boundary up.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I agree with the above. I would keep the dog on a leash if he is going outside the boundaries of the yard. I know it is possible to train a dog not to go out of the yard without a fence, because I have done it. But it is a very long process, and as has been said above it can never be 100% reliable. That small percentage of risk is too high to take, in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts