Dog Forum banner

Quick Question about Breeds

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  traciek88 
#1 ·
Hello!

I've always loved African Wild Dogs, but given that they are both endangered and wild animals, it would be impossible to own one. I was wondering if there are any domestic breeds which resemble them.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I was watching a nature show with them the other day thinking that those marking would be beautiful on a dog breed. Off the top of my head a dutch shepherd, they have a brindle coat and prick ears. But they are not a dog for most people, very high drive dogs. I don't know of any breeds that have that splotchy calico coat. But more important you should never pick a breed solely on looks. Personality is so much more important.

The closest I saw with a quick search is a 'calico' lab, but he is suspected of being a chimera. Very pretty dog though.

#3 ·
I don't know any specific breed that looks like these.
the closest you get are probably shorthaired Merle dogs (like some catahoula for example).
generally I'd suggest rather searching one that fits you in temperament than one that you just like by looks.
I love the way a Dogo Argentino looks for example... but I'd still not get one since it doesn fit my lifestyle.

#4 ·
Agree with above, the closest coat I can think of is a merled one, but even then, I can't think of a dog that really looks like a Wild dog.

Reactions: Sabina88
#5 ·
Sorry if this sounds mean but getting a dog because it looks pretty/like a wild animal is a bad idea. Even if you find a dog that looks like that, it might completely clash with your lifestyle. There are many beautiful or exotic looking dogs that get purchased because of "looking cool" and then their owners quickly discover the only thing they like about the animal is the appearance. Then the dog ends up in a shelter.

Reactions: akodo1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.