Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to the forum. It's been over 6 years since I've added a new dog to our furry family. Been very fortunate that everyone got along together, and we did nothing special beyond slow introductions. Now I know that may have been pure luck!

I have a 7 year old pom mix rescue that's kind of on the nervous side, along with 2 dog-confident cats. I may have the opportunity to acquire an adult Silken Windhound. A Silken's personality tends to be gentle and chill, so that will help. The dog will have already had experience in crate training and be house trained.

So here's my question: I work full-time. If I'm able to bring home a new dog on a Saturday, and begin crate training, will the dog be OK if I return to work on Monday? Would it be advisable to take another day off work to help with all the transitions? I've never crated a dog before, but I'm thinking crating would be a good idea to keep all animals safe and prevent any "accidents" for the first few weeks.

Here's the plan:
Food and walk in am
Crate 4 hours- with water, stuffed Kong and toy
Come home and Walk at lunch
Crate 4 hours
Home and lots of hugs and exercise!
Nighttime: My pom mix always sleeps on my bed. I wonder if it's OK if new dog joins us on the bed?? I've heard Silken love cushy places to sleep. Or would this cause possible squabbles?

Should I separate my uncrated pom into another room, or allow her to wander by the new dog's crate?

So many questions!! I want to do the best for all animals involved!

Thanks!!!
Elissa

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

Sounds like you've asked all the right questions! Every introduction is different, sometimes you have to feel it out, but the schedule sounds good. Lots of walks, exercise, and time with you will make the crate time be considered a good thing for the dog (a time to rest and look forward to being with you). See how well the two do through the crate, if they seem a little tense then perhaps separate rooms would be better while you're gone so it isn't stressful.
Since your pom mix is use to being the dog of the bed, you may want to watch for any signs of them being territorial over it, otherwise, I don't see why they couldn't share.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have! Best of luck! : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouraging words. Since I've never put a dog in a kennel for longer than an hour, it makes me nervous!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sounds like you've got a great plan! Will there ever be a time when the new dog won't have to spend time in the crate? Also, about sleeping, I think as long as the dogs get along with one another, there is no reason for the two to not sleep with you. In fact, I think its a great idea. We have two dogs, one is my daughters and one is mine that each sleep in our respective beds, but when my daughter goes on vacation or out for the evening, her dog sleeps with us. I also watch her dog while she's working and going to school and they sleep together during nap times. I just think its normal for our pets to sleep with their pack, and that means us!

·
Registered
884 Posts
While it's great to think ahead, and have plan b, c & d, and maybe zed, you still need to see how things go.
I had a gsd that spent some long hours in a large crate to keep everybody safe.
I had another gsd that I tried to crate, and he broke out, and was the perfect house dog, and I never ever crated him again.
My current dog was such a polite house dog, that I didn't start crate training him until a few months in, and then it was only as a training exercise (and very handy for his eventual first stay at a hotel).
Sometimes separate rooms/with full doors make a more comfy way to keep everyone safe if you are afraid things might get hot while you're out.
Depends on the dog--my guy LOVES his crate, so it's available to him (door open)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts